AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I first am going to apologize for cluttering up the forum with such a basic post. What I need is someone to preview there crt home theater to me. Preferably someone with a 1031q or similar projector, since I only plan on spending about $500-600 on it. Maybe even a Barco 600. I've never really seen a home crt setup and I would be very appreciative if one of the fellow AVS forum members could give me a sneak peak at what I would be getting myself into. All my thanks, to everyone who contributes to such a wonderful source of information.

·
Registered
254 Posts
I might be willing to help, where do you live. But before you go to far , this can be done cost effectively, but it can also add up quickly and so I would say 1500 is a good figure to start with for a projector , line doubler , dvd and sound and cables. if you wan't e-mail me at [email protected]

·
Registered
58 Posts
Run away before the CRT black hole (as compared to the LCD and DLP gray hole) sucks away all your money!!!

No, just kidding. I have a 1031q with and IScan Pro that I would be happy to demo. I live in Brooklyn Park. Drop me an e-mail at [email protected] . Just don't blame me when you're completely hooked on tweaking your projector hour after hour trying to get the "ultimate" picture...

·
Registered
72 Posts
I don't know what specific projector they had, but Audio Perfection (in Richfield, on Lyndale north of 494) had a room set up with a mid-spec (albeit expensive) CRT projector not long ago. Probably costs a fortune, but you can compare the brightness, etc. in relative terms to the projectors you look at. Plus, it's not a bad hi-fi shop.

Best of luck,

John

·
Registered
253 Posts
I am in Apple Valley and while I don't have a VPH-1031 I do have a VPH-1270. I don't know if it is something you'd be interested in or not but feel free to send me an e-mail. I am currently just running straight video but have almost completed an HTPC. Should be done within the next two and a half weeks. you can send me a pm here or e-mail me at the address below.

Pete

czarnp @parknicollet.com

·
Registered
299 Posts
I am in South Minneapolis. Nec XG1100, set up temporarily. In the process of building a dedicated theater. Have all the hardware, just need time. I can show you how good a temporary setup can be (low budget, except for the hardware). Must come at night

·
Registered
262 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
About time I updated what happened. Greg was kind enough to let me see his 1031q in a nice custom built HT room. I was genuinely impressed with his setup both visually and in the audio department as well. I believe he runs a 4:3 screen which was very nice for cable and vhs movies and he has some interesting plans for a masking system which I hope he keeps me updated on. On to the comments about the 1031q. It was very fun to see such a nice home system. Especially compared to my dinky 27-inch Panasonic. It was impossible to watch without the lights off which even with reading that a few hundred times online about crts, still surprised me. The colors were vibrant and the picture I believe had what many people call a film-like quality to it. The picture was softer then I am used to and I wonder whether the larger screen I think around 100-inches combined with no squeeze on the projector and it being hooked up to an Iscan contributed that. Not to say it wasn't great but I'm a tweaker at heart and one of those people that reads 10 reviews for something before I even consider buying it. Overall it was such a great experience. Greg was more then helpful and a very nice guy. I envy his building skills which helped him create such a nice custom theater. One day hopefully I can drag my HT out of my living room. Thanks again Greg!

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.