AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am incredibly confused and seek the assistance of any and all who have thoughts on the subject. I recently moved into a new house that has a room that is 20 X 20 with a 30-foot ceiling (basically, it is the height of two rooms, because the next floor of the house has a balcony that looks over into this room). The room is carpeted, but the back wall of the room (which is also the back of the house) is basically a 20-foot window which is almost the full width of the room (and the house -- it is a row house)....

In any case, with all of that by way of background, I recently purchased a Panasonic 36-inch flat screen tv, and I am anxious to use it. But, I would also like to add a home theater system in some sense... namely surround sound speakers, a receiver, and a DVD player. But there are too many products, and I am too much of a neophyte to be able to choose among them.

From the postings on this site, I was leaning towards the Panasonic RP 91 for the DVD, but I also realize that it doesn't make sense to get a high-end DVD player if I don't have the components to match... so I figured that those of you with interest in the DVD hardware world might have some thoughts on the system as a whole.

I am basically looking for high-quality sound and video, and I would love for the DVD player to have audio CD playing capability. The key thing is that the sound system work given the size (and eight) of the room. My primary use for it all is for watching sports, though there will be, of course, movie viewing as well. My price range for everything -- receiver, speakers, DVD player, cables -- is $1500 - $2000. I have been looking into a Sony Dream System (the 700) but I feel like that may be taking the easy way out at the expense of quality.

Well, that's alot of information and it amounts to my lasy-ditch effort to figure out what to do, since (not surprisingly) I can't get a straight and/or knowledgeable answer out of a single salesperson I have talked to... even at high-end retailers.

Thanks.

1 - 1 of 1 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.