Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

looking for suggestions on a 50" plasma. if possible, I would like to know your best recommendation, one for price point UNDER 4500.00 and one OVER 4500.00.

One of my concerns is having the inputs needed for my setup, which is pretty basic. Second, I will not be doing and gaming or PC use. I will watch HD, SD, On-Demand and dvd rentals pretty much evenly distributed as far as my viewing mix

I have Time Warner HD box which only offers DVI, and plan on wall mounting.

1) I have an up-converting dvd player and would like to know the "best" connections to use (dvi + optical), hdmi...or whatever the best is.

2) I wont need a card slot option

3) I have viewd some plasmas and prefer ones that are brighter I guess

4) I have a collection of various cables already, hdmi,dvi, optical, s-vid, component, composit etc.etc. And willing to buy whatever makes for best audio and video

5) I do have a nice homes theater with B&W speakers, etc and will hook up once my house is built next year but for now doing the simple layout noted above (plasma and dvd player only). I would prefer not to pidgeon hole my self on my purchase by not having the proper inputs already on the plasma when the time comes to set up my surrond system.

6) Lastly, I have excluded sony, samsung from my radar screen for reasons I won't bore you with.

I realize this is a lot of info here but with so many experienced folks on AVS I hope to get some great feedback.

Thanks in advance!

Cactus62

·
Registered
94 Posts
Take a look at either the Panasonic or the Pioneer models. They seem to give the biggest bang for the buck. FWIW, I just got a Panasonic TH-50PX500U a few days ago, and thus far I'm very happy with it.

·
Registered
446 Posts
I'd second that. Very good sets from both brands. I'm also considering a 50" plasma purchase in the very near future and I will get either a Panasonic or Pioneer...but leaning toward the Panasonic 50PX50.

·
Registered
447 Posts
No_Towel_Lint,

Same here but I am leaning in the direction of the PDP-5060HD to me release in Sept. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to all for the input. I do have one question stemming from your info: In waiting for the new model coming out in september, what are the additions and or improvements? I simply wish to see if the new features will be something I would utilize or need.

Thanks!

Cactus62

·
Registered
447 Posts
Cactus62,

The 5060 is supposed to have Blacks at least as dark as the 8th Gen Pannys and still keep the eye popping colors the Pio's are known for.

I figure it is worth a couple more days wait and if they do not turn out to be all that much of a jump in PQ, then the older models will drop in price anyway due to the new releases. So, you cannot lose. ;)

Take Care,

Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
I am also ready to buy a 50" plasma. I have a wall unit that has an opening of 60 inches in width and its adjustable in height. I have been going between the Panny 500 (better looking imho than the 50u) the 5050, or the new Phillips unit. I gave away the old TV so I really need to do something soon. Based on notes in this forum, I have opted to wait a week or two but have a basic question. I need an "easy" PDP. I will be hooking it up to my home theater system (denon 3802 and Paradyn reference speakers). My concern is the WAF. I need a plasma that can be set to automatically adjust the image size to the display. Do both units do this. I understand the Philips unit does. Appreciate your advice

Steve

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.