AVS Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I've been lurking around and have assembled a top three list, was looking for advice on my choices, price point, and wants

I will be using this more for video (dvd, sd downloads, non 1080 downloads etc), and console gaming on a 46" tv, don't need to get crazy with audio quality and nitpick tiny differences that won't matter to a non-connoisseur, but having bluetooth capability would be nice, I will also be adding an Apple TV for airplay etc.. I also would not like to spend more than 700. Added bonus would be the ability to control everything from my iPad2 and a full compliment of pre-outs just in case I take my avr to a larger dwelling.

I've been snooping around on the following websites looking for deals:

AC4L

vanns

amazon warehouse deals

pioneer's outlet website

techbargains (they have nice searchable deals database)

It seems as if these models go on sale at random, and I should probably wait(?)

1) Pioneer VSX-1121-K

I know this just came out, was reading through the owner's thread, not sure why some retailers chose to pull this model, it's kind of holding me back from purchasing it. Seems to have a bunch of janky apps that may or may not be cool, has ipad support in the newer icontrolav2 app. Pioneer in general seems to solid.

2) Marantz "05" series, 5005, 6005. My only concern here is the video processor (anchor bay) vs. the Marvell chip in the other two I've chosen.

3) Onkyo TX-NR609, 709. Concerns here: Onkyo's seem to be heavily in stock in the refurbished/open box area, and their service sounds below par. Theres an interesting comparison chart up on AC4L, www()accessories4less()com/mas_assets/theme/accessories4less/images/onkchart.pdf, is the price difference between 6 and 7 worth the pre-outs, and extra hdmi ports?

Thanks!

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Onkyo's have a very high failure rate. You're right to be concered about the number of refurbs.

I wouldn't put too much wieght on video upscaling. Nowadays, everything upscales to 1080 (blu-ray players, receivers, TVs) and very few people can tell a difference between which device does it.

I would get either the pioneer or marantz. If you can go to $750, costco has the pioneer sc35. It's in a league above the 3 you mentioned.

·
Registered
6,553 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by inexion /forum/post/20871067

I've heard buying an "Elite" Pioneer AVR online does not allow you to obtain a warranty? Is there any truth to this?

I don't know, but you're buying it from Costco. They'll take it back if there's an early issue discovered and I doubt pioneer would know one way or another if you bought it at the store or from their web site.

You can always contact Pioneer and ask them if buying from Costco's web site voids the warranty.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Buy it from Costco and don't look back. Go buy it, register it with Pioneer and see what happens. If they won't do the warranty there are others that will sell you a warranty (cheap) and you have no worries. Either way there is nothing to lose, Costco will take it back if you have any problems.

·
Registered
7,816 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inexion
Looks like newegg is offering the VSX-1121-K for 549 right now, might have to go with that, unless the SC-35 is really that much better(?)
Be sure that the 1121 is really what you want. Newegg is good to buy from for their quick service but their return policy stinks. I feel that the SC35 is the better AVR and worth the price difference. Those ICE amps alone are worth the difference.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I've just confirmed with Costco.com reps that buying this from their website (with a membership) makes you eligible for a 100% satisfaction guarantee which lasts forever. So literally if the unit dies 3-5 years down the road you just call up Costco and they'll take care of it. In the case of a receiver like this, where you would obviously need to get it serviced if it did break, the rep informed me that the only recourse you would have is to get a refund. I plan on keeping this thing around for quite a long time so hopefully this isn't too much of a gamble, any thoughts on pioneers longevity?

·
Registered
6,553 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by inexion
I've just confirmed with Costco.com reps that buying this from their website (with a membership) makes you eligible for a 100% satisfaction guarantee which lasts forever. So literally if the unit dies 3-5 years down the road you just call up Costco and they'll take care of it. In the case of a receiver like this, where you would obviously need to get it serviced if it did break, the rep informed me that the only recourse you would have is to get a refund. I plan on keeping this thing around for quite a long time so hopefully this isn't too much of a gamble, any thoughts on pioneers longevity?
Costco has good customer service, but I find the above very difficult to believe. I believe this is what they told you, but how can they possibly remain in business with a policy like this. If this is their policy I will buy everything from them and return it whenever I want a replacement.

I thought their return policy on electronics was 90 days no questions asked and you couldn't return it if you abused it.

·
Registered
29,311 Posts
I know Costco has changed the policy on TV's and Computers but maybe not all electronics. I know I had a buddy who returned a defective receiver 2-3 years later and got a full refund.

I would get the SC-35 too.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Their 90 day policy is strictly tied to:

"Merchandise: We guarantee your satisfaction on every product we sell, with a full refund. Exceptions: Televisions, projectors, computers, cameras, camcorders, iPOD/MP3 players and cellular phones must be returned within 90 days of purchase for a refund."

Hence, receivers are not a part of this policy, confirmed it for sure with the rep

I know this may sound knit-picky of me, but Pioneer isn't supporting these older models with the newer iPad app (icontrolav2) for some reason. But whatever, yeah this is quite an amazing deal for such a good receiver.

·
Registered
4,414 Posts
I confirmed the satisfaction or return for full refund both online and in store before buying.

The guy working in the electronics area did add that if you brought it back after 10 years , you may get some raised eyebrows

I haven't had time to completely dial the SC35 in yet but it sounds fantastic for BD movie soundtracks regardless , and I would call it a great deal even at list price based on audio quality alone.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.