AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm getting to the point where I'll soon be ready to build the proscenium walls on my stage. I've already had my stage carpeted, so I'll be building the proscenium on top of the carpet. My stage is pretty typical--about 32" deep (much wider at the apex of the curve). You can see pictures by clicking the link in my signature.

Anyway, on the front wall, I'll be building a frame for my screen with treatments on the wall itself and fabric covering everything except the opening (into which the screen will be slid).

The proscenium will hide my sub, L/R speakers, and a possible bass trap. Curtains will also open from in front of the screen and retreat behind the proscenium.

Before I get started on this, I'd like any suggestions or tips about building a proscenium. I'm totally open to ideas, as it's the one thing I haven't planned out to the Nth detail so far.

Thanks,

jj

·
Registered
610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
I hate to bump my own thread, but I thought I'd give it one more chance before I dive into the project.

Here are some of the specific things I'm trying to find out:

Are there any special guidelines or tips to follow when building a proscenium? Looking back at your own construction, is there any advice you would give to someone building one now? Is it OK to secure the proscenium to the side walls and ceiling? Does this defeat the purpose of having the stage decoupled from the walls? Is it necessary to cover the proscenium framing with MDF, or can I just wrap the framing with GOM?

Any other ideas or suggestions will be appreciated. As I mentioned, my stage is already carpeted, so I'm just going to attach the framing right over the carpet. I didn't have time to build it prior to my carpet being installed. I will be treating my entire front wall with Toughgard2 (similar to linacoustic), and I will build a 2x4 frame in front of that, into which I will slide my 92x52 Firehawk screen. This will all get covered in GOM Black. The proscenium side walls will be built approx 26 inches or so in front of that to hide my L/R speakers and sub, as well as providing a hiding space for my screen curtains during showtime. Pictures of my stage are available in my signature link if it will help you make any recommendations.

I appreciate any responses or advice that you might provide.

Thanks,

jj

·
Registered
1,014 Posts
Two schools of thought on proscenium construction. One is to wrap a 2x4 frame with GOM and leave it acoustically transparent. The other is to use MDF construction with 1" TheaterShield on both sides, and the front covered in GOM. I went the MDF route and secured to walls, stage and ceiling before the carpet was laid. Attached is a shot of my left side. Pretty boring -- one large piece of MDF w/ a speaker cut-out, and a long strip for the edge. Screwed to 2x4s on the inside corner, and along the wall and ceiling (actually soffit).

I can't answer your stage decoupling question.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.