AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
720 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Building my own subwoofer using WinISD to configure the enclosure size and will more than likely be using (2) high-end car subwoofers since I get them dirt cheap through work (Circuit City). Would like an amp around the 400-500 watt range, and CHEAP. I know people say they want a GOOD piece of equipment, but it has to be cheap. It usually doesn't work that way, but I'm hoping it will for me :D

Starving 22yr old college student who has an aching to build his own home subwoofer, mainly for music listening purposes. Was thinking of going with dual 10 or 12" Infinity Kappa Perfect subs (250-300 RMS). Probably do a sealed box due to having tighter bass, better for music listening. If I were doing a HT sub I'm sure I'd vent the baby.

Anyhow. Anyone know of a good amp to use, or even a used one they've seen for sale?

ANY and ALL info is GREATLY appreciated!

·
Registered
3,433 Posts
Since you are using WinISD, you can look at the excursion graph and adjust the wattage on the Signal tab to determine the power you need to reach xmax. If you sub's xmax is 12mm, you should keep the excursion below 24mm on WinISD's graph. More than likely, you won't need 400 watts. Part Express has a great 275 watt plate amp for around $125.

As for the sub, there are very few car subs that do well in a home environment. They are designed to fit in a small box and take advantage of a car's "cabin gain" that naturally boosts the low frequencies. Put the same sub in a large room and the bass just disappears. Since you are looking for for a music sub, I would recommend the Dayton DVC 12" or Adire Audio DPL 12 in a small sealed box. I built the DVC in a 1.2^3 ft sealed box and it will rattle the windows of a 2,000 square foot house with a PE amp.

-Robert

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
I have an AVA250 plate amp and 15" Tempest driver in a big 8 cu ft sealed enclosure from Adire Audio - sub is 4" from a corner - LOUD and clean! :D

They do have really good products - here's a 300W Class D amp for $279. High efficiency, Class D amps right now are good for subs (barely warm to the touch) - http://www.adireaudio.com/diy_audio/...iers/dt300.htm

·
Banned
3,181 Posts
if you don't mind going used....

check out a carver m-400 amp on ebay...they usually go for about $200 and can be bridged to 400 watts - great amp in a small package for sub use...

·
Registered
5,605 Posts
QSC can aspire to any ego level. The Rmx-850 can pump out 850 clean watts. They also have some THX amps that produce up to 4000 watts! www.partsecpress.com has them. I do own a Rmx-850 in one of our systems and it is a strong amp.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.