AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
26,476 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a room above my Garage that is unfinished and my builder (built my house 1 year ago) is out of work and needs extra $$$ so he is ready to do my room.

He definitely doesnt have any idea about HT rooms and I have exhausted myself reading and searching for the right HT design. Im terrible with the sketching software out there.

I can get pics of the room and some rough sketches

but right now I will try to explain the room, its fairly basic.

Its a 23x16 room. I want to have the screen (96" screen, panny 900 720p projector) on the 23' right wall and I have one row of theather chairs (set of 4 berklines). The far 16' north wall has window and the other 16' south wall has the door so the 23' right wall is the logical choice.

The screen needs to have a nice frame and small stage approx 2'x2'x6' (for my DIY sub system)

My speaker will need to hide behind some sort of framing also and I guess all my audio/video equipment needs to be on built-in shelving or an AV closet that doesnt take up too much room space.

Im not sure how to show or describe what I really so some professional help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

·
RETIRED theater builder
35,141 Posts
Post so pics of the space so we can see ceiling heights and roof lines.

Also tell us about how the space is heated and cooled.

I would argue the point about the choice of walls for the screen. Cover the window, put the screen there and do a bigger screen and two rows of seating. The back row on a riser.

You might try putting a subwoofer in the space cranking it up and seeing how loud it is in the rest of the house. That will tell you how much planning will need to go into the soundproofing.

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you are looking for professional help, try the local phone book. You'll probably find a reputable company that can help you out. Ask for references - you dont want to rely on 'advice' from someone who has only done this once or twice as a hobby, after all.

Good Luck!

·
Registered
11,020 Posts
Yes, I would also suggest hiring a very good theater designer. Wait a minute, I don't think they have any of them used on Ebay.

p.s. for those who wonder what's up with the responses here, let's just say Penngray is getting some love back from the community

·
Registered
4,204 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by DPlanz /forum/post/13011913

If you are looking for professional help, try the local phone book. You'll probably find a reputable company that can help you out. Ask for references - you dont want to rely on 'advice' from someone who has only done this once or twice as a hobby, after all.

Good Luck!

Phone book would be the last approach I'd take. You you be well served to take a look at some of the pro's that participate here. If you just want design service BPape, Dennis and Terry would be worth looking at. There services (and prices) vary, but at the end you should have a well designed room.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by brandenpro /forum/post/13011671

Hire a pro

you owe me $.25 cents for that.... i have copywrite on that phrase.

·
Registered
15 Posts
This is a classic case where cheaping out on the design will end up either costing you a bundle later or wasting a fair amount of your hard earned money with a half baked result.

Hire a design/systems professional and consider it the best money you have ever spent.

·
Registered
7 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by idodishez /forum/post/13013036

Hire

A

PRO

i want my $.25 cets

HIRE A PRO!

YES WE COST MONEY AND WE ARE NOT CHEAP.... BUT AT LEAST WE WILL DO IT RIGHT THE FIRST TIME.

but you will probably want to shop us on creigslist or ebay. and then you will see how we are ripping you off.....

yes i am a jag bag!

but then you would b thinking we are stealing from you, and then you would shop us on creigs list or ebay.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I would look for a reutable Dealer/Designer in your area, you can ask for help in a forum but not being able to see the room in person can cause issues.

There are a few guys in the forums that offer some great advice and services that can pull it off, but you still need it all installed correctly for best performance and looks unless you comfortable doing it yourself, and if something goes wrong its your fault for not installing it right

Hire A Pro.... $0.25 to Ed

·
Registered
3 Posts
It would certain be in your best interest to:

HIRE A PRO

Tinkering with DIYers and other wannbe's will only cost you time, money and a poor finished product.

Don't make the same mistake most people here on AVS make. Thinking anyone can do it 'cause its just plain easy.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I don't know what is up with these other yahoos..

Quote:
Originally Posted by penngray /forum/post/13008308

I have a room above my Garage that is unfinished and my builder (built my house 1 year ago) is out of work and needs extra $$$ so he is ready to do my room.

He definitely doesnt have any idea about HT rooms and I have exhausted myself reading and searching for the right HT design. Im terrible with the sketching software out there.

What builder ever does??? Especially one that doesn't have any other work lined up.. LMAO

Quote:
I can get pics of the room and some rough sketches

but right now I will try to explain the room, its fairly basic.

Its a 23x16 room. I want to have the screen (96" screen, panny 900 720p projector) on the 23' right wall and I have one row of theather chairs (set of 4 berklines). The far 16' north wall has window and the other 16' south wall has the door so the 23' right wall is the logical choice.

Screw all the acoustical formulas and designs that tell you that a room should be longer than wider, show them it doesn't matter, I would definately put the screen on the long wall.. Berklines are awesome, did you get the ones with cup holders? They're my favorite.. If not there was a post recently about someone who had made their own cup holders out of MDF or something.. I'm sure you could dig it up with a search.

Quote:
The screen needs to have a nice frame and small stage approx 2'x2'x6' (for my DIY sub system)

My speaker will need to hide behind some sort of framing also and I guess all my audio/video equipment needs to be on built-in shelving or an AV closet that doesnt take up too much room space.

For a frame you could get some 2x boards at the Depot and paint them black and then just tack them to the wall.. Make sure you use the flat paint though so it doesn't reflect.. The Ralph Lauren Suede stuff might even give it a velvet type look that some people like but in my opinion it is over priced and over done.. Why would you want to hide the DIY sub? Let that beauty stand free on the floor, that way there are no acoustical issues to overcome plus your friends can marvel over the sheer brilliance of your design.

Quote:
Im not sure how to show or describe what I really so some professional help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Hope I was able to give you some great ideas, good luck on your room, it sounds pretty sweet..

·
Registered
922 Posts
My advice, free of charge, is to hire a DE to do the design and create system and build docs for the project. Pay the DE to PM the project and work with the builder to build it to spec and properly install the soundproofing construction materials and acoustical materials. Penn can do what he does best, shop for cheap or used electronics on ebay, install and program it.

·
Registered
6,025 Posts
I asked DE to design it and provide detailed plans, which he did

I figured the rest would be the "easy" part.

It turned out great but easy was nowhere to be found.

·
Registered
1,173 Posts
Strange thread. I'm guessing that there was a something that penn said in another thread that upset all of the "pros".

You can DIY and get a great room out of it, but hiring someone that doesn't know what they are doing is asking for trouble IMHO. You are going to be asking him to do things that he has never done before and he may end up taking shortcuts/mistakes/etc. If you are still going to hire him, make sure that you spell out everything you need. Green glue/RSIC clips/etc....

The best advice I can give you is to read, read, read.

·
Registered
3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sleeks /forum/post/13013620

The best advice I can give you is to read, read, read.

Best advice. Go cheap!
Cheap!
Cheap!

I think I heard a bird!

1 - 20 of 63 Posts