AVS Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am a UTV user (3 receivers). One of the receivers is dying and I want to consider starting to move to HD, rather than replacing my existing box. I always find it frustrating trying to get info from DTV, so I am looking for some basic info here. My current dish is the single LNB round dish, with 2 leads going to a 2X8 multiswitch. 2 of the multiswitch leads go to a second 2X4 multiswitch. I realize I will need to replace the dish and multiswitch. The new dish will look at multiple satellites. Is one of the satellites the old satellite? Will my old receivers continue to work if I temporarily leave the old dish in place when I upgrade? I assume I need to add a new box (a multiswitch or whatever they call its replacement). What will its configuration be? Is there some sort of site where I can find some basic, but technical description? Can I install the dish myself? I have restricted sight lines. How much sky do I need to see? Is there a way to figure out what direction and elevation? Is the RG6 cable I'm using still correct?

Thanks in advance

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
My two cents.

Is one of the satellites the old satellite?

Yes. Odd if it were to ignore all the channels that only "old" receivers can get.

Will my old receivers continue to work if I temporarily leave the old dish in place when I upgrade?

That probably is a good idea if you're installing this yourself (I think DirectWay Internet is REQUIRED to be installed by Pro, otherwise you can DIY). Not sure but don't HD receivers have the same "setup" menus the older receivers (like UTV) have... were you can get basic pointing info. from zip? If not you could probably still use the "old" direction as a guide and hit the "old" Sat, the new dish should then catch the rest with little or minor tuning (assuming that arm is straight/level all around).

Is the RG6 cable I'm using still correct?

As I understand it plain RG6 in good condition and in a "standard" config, you should be fine. Quad RG6 just provides more shielding which hopefully your current setup hasn't needed. Again leaving up your old dish as a "backup" can let you experiment a bit, so I'd recommend you do that considering your line of sight concerns.

Keep us posted.

Good Luck,

Dave

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
thanks. The only other question related to type of multiswitch, but I can probably research that

·
Registered
262 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak /forum/post/15117932

thanks. The only other question related to type of multiswitch, but I can probably research that

Please ask, I'm interested in this too.
I'm thinking of revising my setup and using a multiswitch but don't have a clue which one.

kazak

·
Registered
17,582 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rak /forum/post/15108089

I am a UTV user (3 receivers). One of the receivers is dying and I want to consider starting to move to HD, rather than replacing my existing box. I always find it frustrating trying to get info from DTV, so I am looking for some basic info here. My current dish is the single LNB round dish, with 2 leads going to a 2X8 multiswitch. 2 of the multiswitch leads go to a second 2X4 multiswitch. I realize I will need to replace the dish and multiswitch. The new dish will look at multiple satellites. Is one of the satellites the old satellite? Will my old receivers continue to work if I temporarily leave the old dish in place when I upgrade? I assume I need to add a new box (a multiswitch or whatever they call its replacement). What will its configuration be? Is there some sort of site where I can find some basic, but technical description? Can I install the dish myself? I have restricted sight lines. How much sky do I need to see? Is there a way to figure out what direction and elevation? Is the RG6 cable I'm using still correct?

Thanks in advance

- The new dish looks at roughly 6 different satellites. You're current dish looks at one: 101. That will still be the same with the new dish. You'll also see satellites at 99 (2 total), 103 (2 total) and 119. Those at 99 and 103 will be your HD birds, while 101 would supply national SD. 119 would apply if you get the locals package since the SD versions of those stations would reside there.

- There's only one multi-switch that works with the HD equipment due to the different frequencies used for the MPEG4 HD channels. I'd ask in the HD Hardware forum which one, since I'm not sure.

- The new dish will work fine with the old receivers. You really don't need to keep the old dish. Just keep in mind the new dish will be a bit more sensative to rain due to the number of satellites it has to aim at. It also needs more support since it's bigger and flatter (like a big sail). In addition to the main post, there are two support arms that need to be bolted down. You may also have to tweak it once or twice a year if you get a lot of wind or the place you mount it isn't 100% stable (such as a porch railing).

- Let the installer do the work. Not only is the dish big and heavy, but it has to be really, really well aimed to work right. It's also not just left-light/up down you have to aim: the dish has to be tilted at the correct angle to work right (the reason why the newer dishes all appear crooked when you see them. Granted, the HD dish has a handy level bubble on it and nifty fine adjustment knobs, but, other than tweaking, the dish is not easy to aim initially.

- RG6 is exactly what you need - one cable for each tuner/box. There is a Single Line system available to limit the number of lines you need to run from outside to feed all your receivers, but it's not available in all areas. You're probably just as well running home runs straight to the dish - less hardware to cause issues.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts