Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I would like some thoughts from current or previous owners of any of these units on their overall performance. Anything that you can think of, wheter you liked it or not. Did you like the remote, how was the tuner, ease of use, quality of surround decoders, back panel versatilty, etc.

I am trying to decide on one of these units, Kenwood VR5090, Sony DA4ES, Denon 3803. They all have things I like, and things I dont. Not one has all the things I would like to have, so I am looking for the best compromise or the three.

I will be using every possible feature of the reciver: tuner, decoder, video swithing, system control.

I am currently using an older Kenwood DD reicver that is aging and needs replaced.

Any info would be welcome

Thanks

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
No Help??.............:)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I was using a H/K AVR-220 at my fiancee's apartment and upgraded to the Sony STR-DA4ES. The remote is quite possibly one of the worst I have ever encountered, but other than some operational quirks that have been well documented in other threads, the receiver is quite nice.

I use the receiver to switch between Xbox component video and HD-cable component video. I haven't tried the video upconversion feature, but S-video appears to pass very cleanly. I didn't notice any degradation in picture quality so I now route all my S-video sources through the receiver.

Sound quality is very good, more dynamic than the AVR-220. Even using crappy entry-level JBL speakers, the sound is very good to my ears. Having used a Sony STR-DB930 in my own setup for a long time, it's nice to be able to use Sony's DCS to enhance DD/DTS movie soundtracks at my fiancee's place.

Other than the poor remote, I think the STR-DA4ES is well worth the purchase price.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I had the AVD C70ES receiver(Sony) which had the remote similar to the 4ES. It sucks - No way to input easily chanel changes.

I also had a friend who just purchased a new Denon 5803 and bought a new remote for it. He ordered the MX-500 and loved it. It also met his wifes expectations at being able to be simple to use (He had about 10 remotes before) http://www.remotecentral.com/mx500/photo1.jpg

Reggie

·
Registered
108 Posts
I like my new 4ES a lot. For $724, delivered, it's a deal. Personally, my decision to buy a receiver is never dependent on a remote.

·
Registered
137 Posts
I had 2 Sony 555es that had amp or remote problems. Sony remotes suck. Sony district Manager called me about the 2 bad units, so the support was good. I went with Denon AVR 5700. I love Denon for an all in one unit. I would STRONGLY recommend R232 upgrade port so you do not get left behind for new firmware improvements. Denon has bad simulation modes, Sony & Yamaha are better if you you are into that feature. Sony ES and Denon has good features at that grouping.

·
Premium Member
1,544 Posts
I have a Sony V555ES receiver - very nice and I would expect the new 4ES to be nice also. It does seem that Sony ES receivers are slipping in performance some.

I do agree that a remote is not the sole reason to choose a receiver.

I just got my Marantz SR-8200 (refurbished for under $1000 - check out the Marantz site for the Internet place) I really like this receiver - sound is very nice and vocals from Directv HD-200 receiver is much better than either of the sony receivers I had hooked to it previously (AVD C70ES and the V555ES). I am using M&K K Series speakers.

One feature that I really like is the ability to watch a sport event from the receiver but listen to the Tuner for the local play by play. The Sonys would switch off the video (I was using the receiver to switch video inputs).

Reggie

·
Registered
517 Posts
I've had the Sony DA5ES for like 9 months now, and am quite happy with it. I upgraded from a previous (1995- analog) Sony ES. I dislike the funky 2-way remote that came with it; you have to do everything via menus with a little joystick-type thing...

But, I don't use that remote. I use (and had before) a Sony RM-VL900 programmable remote that we use for everything.

The main reason I got the DA5ES is that it is a 3-zone receiver - and I use all 3 zones (#3 is the outside speakers for the hot tub, and the receiver powers that zone. #2 goes to the bedroom and we use it to watch DVDs, TiVo or the VCR in there from the living room).

I recently replaced my Infinity speakers with the Rocket package #2, and the Sony receiver is handling them (I feel) very nicely.

I like that the receiver has an "alternate" set of IR codes - important to me since I also have a Sony receiver in the bedroom and a Xantech setup which routes IR from the bedroom to the living room -- so any IR in the bedroom would mess up the living room Sony if it did not have the alternate codes.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I have the DA5ES and its awesome.

I only have 2 complaints. The remote SUCKS! so I got a Pronto TSU2000. Very cool. The other issue is the optical and coaxial digital audio jacks are not addressable. I have too many inputs that I want to connect digitally and associate them with a video input. The new Sony DA7ES fixed this problem but for $1999 I think I'll pass and just get a 1 in 4 out component video and digital audio auto-switcher for $185 from Smart-Home.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.