AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have looked through other threads including the Mits one similar to this, but I wanted to start something closer to my situation.

The few LCD & DLP sets I have seen I wasn't impressed especially the price difference. I'm looking at MGA, Hitachi and Toshiba as my prime candidates.

I see Mits has the 513 Gold and the 613 Gold+ series coming out that I haven't seen yet (doubt they are out yet). I have seen the 511 Platinum series and a 413 (don't know what that was).

I have seen the F500 and the S700 Hitachi series.

I have seen the H83 series (I believe) Toshiba, but I wanted the HX93 series but haven't seen those yet and doubt I will.

Other than the model numbers being confusing (you can't say you saw a Mits since there are 4 or 5 different series of the same size (incliding this years and next years models).

I looked at a satellite feed of a network program (a football game) on 2 different sets in 4x3 and it look terrible! Digital artifacts, smear, grain, you name it. I thought I was watching it on cable at the end of a system 50 trunk amps out split 5 ways inside the house on a Phony Smearitron from the mid sixties!

Most of my viewing would be 4x3. Do all the sets have that mid grey side panels and can any of them change that to a darker grey?

Last; is there any reason I WOULDN'T want a built in ASTC/QAM tuner?

BTW; I have a 46" Hitachi Ultravision now for 12 years (my 3rd projection). I really was looking for a 52" to replace it. 55 and 57 are too large, 52 is pushing it.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I have and the matches aren't my situation.

·
Registered
757 Posts
i don't know what anyone can recommend if you are not impressed with the S700 series. i've never been overly impressed with satellite. if you are satisfied with a 42" projection, i say that you should consider a good 36" tube.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
42" is way to small and tube is out of the question (smaller yet)!

The S700 was ok, but I'm still looking. How is it on SDTV 4x3?

·
Premium Member
14,299 Posts
Hitachi is the only one I know of that allow you to toggle between gray and black sidebars in 4x3 standard mode (resets to gray each time you power off/on the set).

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for the link to the 48613 review.

Problem is I don't think those are available in this area. There isn't a whole lot of mid to high end stuff around here (except some Pioneer Elite and Plasma, neither of which I would bother with because of cost).

I did see that Panasonic 50" LCD set and was impressed with that though it was $800 more than I was going to spend on top of the fact it doesn't have a tuner. I will look in that thread again for comments.

One of the biggest issues I have is SD picture quality (or lack of) since that will be what I will be watching the most (because of lack of HD material to me at this time). Almost all of the sets I have seen so far the SD 4x3 is terrible!

BTW, I'm not having 2 sets side by side in the same room just to watch 4x3.

·
Registered
1,662 Posts
There was a recent post here stating that if most of your viewing is SD and VHS tapes save yourself the money and don't buy a HDTV. If you are a DVD person then that changes the situation a little.

Any TV in a store room is going to be tough to evaluate-especially a RP CRT. From my experience the LCD's and DLP's always look better in the big stores next to these guys simply because they lack any convergence errors. The added sharpness and brightness in the pictures almost always look better. That said-I'd put my hitachi up against any of those in a dark room.

If most of your viewing is 4x3 and you're not watching a ton of dvd's you should really consider the panasonic lcd. Any of the crt's that you mentioned is going to run the risk of burn in if you don't like stretching your image.

·
Registered
324 Posts
Correct me if I am wrong but what I soon realized after research and actual watching these sets.....by 2006 we will not be having such horrible picture quality on hd sets. I know it doesnt have to be all 1080i (or does it)but the feeds will be much better. I am assuming it will look something like the nonHD-HBO, which i think is a great picture. It is much improved compared to the network stations and most others. (I am speaking of using Cable/Cable Box).

So, if you are viewing mostly 4:3 and Sd programming, then is it really worth the money right now for an HD set? If it is,then you will have to get used to the fuzzies the SD feeds give you, or just watch only HD programming.

TWC gives me, HBO, Showtime, ABC, DiscoveryHD and INHD 1 and 2, for my service ($62). I happy just watching these right now unitl more is offered, which wont be long.

Also, you have mentioned great rptv's. I like the hitachi's (F and S series)and the mits 413's only because i have used them both, and havent used the others you mentioned.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Quote:
So, if you are viewing mostly 4:3 and Sd programming, then is it really worth the money right now for an HD set? If it is,then you will have to get used to the fuzzies the SD feeds give you, or just watch only HD programming.
I have considered that also. My 12 year old set is showing it's age and there is a problem cropping up that I thought would make more sense to just replace the set instead of repairing it.

Then again, there is that age old male problem of the 'new toy technology' itch!

BTW; when I look at CRT projection, the first thing I look for is convergence and correct it, then evaluate it. Drives the salesman nuts!

·
Registered
150 Posts
Keep looking for that Toshiba Cinema series. I had to stumble on them at a smaller store that tries to not have to compete with the likes of Best Buy and Sears. The Cinema series have upgraded just about everything over the Best Buy TheatreWide series, including the cabinets.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I really wanted the built in tuner (as a normal set has/had) but everyone seems to be tring to talk me out of one saying a external box is better.

The other deal is the 56 point convergence on the HX93 series. I don't believe it is on anything else. I don't like that 9 point setup, though a far cry from opening up the front panel and tweaking all the pots on the convergence board from right under the set as opposed to sitting back from the viewing distance and using the remote.

I did look at a Cimema next to a Theater, but really couldn't tell the difference. If there was I would have to spend alot more time looking and the material was good that was being fead into both.

·
Registered
16,728 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Marc Alexander
Hitachi is the only one I know of that allow you to toggle between gray and black sidebars in 4x3 standard mode (resets to gray each time you power off/on the set).
I did see that. Thanks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.