AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
361 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My 75 year old mother is determined to get a big screen TV. She currently has a 32" direct view that she is no longer happy with the "small" size. I'm partly to blame because I had her over recently to see a DVD movie and HD cable over my 92" front projection system.

I know nothing about rear projection systems. She saw a large Philips model at Costco for around $1700. So, this is the price range she wants to hit. She'd like around a 57" diag. screen. She can get a few HD channels via local cable but will still do a lot of standard def viewing. DVD will also be a source.

I fear burn-in caused by standard def 4:3 viewing and worry that this will be a problem unless she can get used to the stretch feature. I'm also not sure if there are many sets around 57" for under $1700. I'm hoping that there will be some good sales coming up over the next few weeks/months. I don't mind having it shipped if it is a better value, as long as they will cover any repair/shipping costs if it goes bad under warranty.

Can anyone offer some suggestions on what models to consider and what I should look for in a large screen budget RPTV? Her eye is not that discerning, so we're not requiring top-end performance. If anyone has specific deals they know of please PM me so that we don't break forum rules.

Sincerly appreciate all replies.

·
Registered
1,426 Posts
She'll have alot more options if she opts either for 50" or be willing to spend $2000-2500 for a better brand of rptv.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.