AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a simple 10-foot UI (suitable for use in a bedroom TV environment) for the PC that would display a large type file browser. I just want to be able to browse video files by filename so I can launch them. I've got an Acer Aspire Revo 3610 Atom-based ION PC, which is great for that environment because it is very small and quiet. The problem is, it doesn't seem to have the horsepower to use all-in-one media center apps like XMPC without dropping frames on HD content. I've tried Media Center, Zoom Player, KMPlayer, SMPlayer, GOMPlayer, XMBC, Boxee and VLC, but they either didn't like some of the video files I tried or tended to chug at times. Media Player Classic is the only one I tried that played everything I've thown at it, and played it smoothly--unfortunately, it's saddled with an outdated UI and doesn't have a large, easily readable file browser. I've been using the Magnifier app that comes with Windows 7 but it's a bother. There's a roll-our-own media center in develpment called meedios but it's in alpha and there's no DL link. Any suggestions?

·
Registered
656 Posts
Have you considered media browser and having it launch mpc-hc? I didn't think once you started playing a file the front-end (media center) did anything to affect playback

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So close! That MediaBrowser/MPC-HC combination worked a lot better than anything else I've tried, but still chugged a bit on the most demanding 1080p content compared to running MPC-HC all by itself. I guess having Media Center in the background ate up too many processor cycles.

I guess I'm looking for something like a standalone MediaBrowser that has a very low impact.

·
Registered
2,439 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by otakushark /forum/post/18297199

So close! That MediaBrowser/MPC-HC combination worked a lot better than anything else I've tried, but still chugged a bit on the most demanding 1080p content compared to running MPC-HC all by itself. I guess having Media Center in the background ate up too many processor cycles.

I guess I'm looking for something like a standalone MediaBrowser that has a very low impact.

Something doesn't seem right, what is your hardware and what type of files are you playing?...I see no difference in playback with MPC-HC lauched with the latest MediaBrowser. The issues with MPC-HC starting behind WMC seems to be resolved with the current MediaBrowser.

Mike

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by MikeEby /forum/post/18297250

Something doesn't seem right, what is your hardware and what type of files are you playing?...I see no difference in playback with MPC-HC lauched with the latest MediaBrowser. The issues with MPC-HC starting behind WMC seems to be resolved with the current MediaBrowser.

Mike

I went back and tried it again today, and it seems to be working fine! I've been installing and uninstalling various things recently, so maybe something I got rid of was the culprit.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts