AVS Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've been LURKing here for almost 2 years. Most of the sets actively discussed are *WAY* out of my budget. My next-to-last CRT recently died and I finally have to enter the 'Digital Era'. (I bought an inexpensive Sylvania 19" LCD to 'experiment' with a couple of years ago but now I need a 'real' TV.)
  • Recommend a Small LCD for Kitchen
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20817220

...This is pretty much an enthusiasts' Forum and small TVs are rarely discussed...

Small AND 'Entry Level', AFAICT...

What are some good, alternative forums to read about 'Entry Level' (~$600 or less) LCDs?

I've been building a spreadsheet with (in alphabetical, not preference, order) LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony for the past year - I originally had Vizio in the list (for S-Video IN and Analog Audio OUT), but recently replaced it with LG (for edge-lit LED). I'm limited to 37" maximum for the existing cabinet and 'Entry Level' due to funds. Starting out with all CCFLs on my list, I initially saw a few EEFLs (longer life) appear. Recently, edge-lit LEDs have become affordable but, although I like the longer life over CCFLs and EEFLs, I have to further investigate the 'uniformity'. I'm looking for a set that has a chance of lasting 10+ years.
    I'm also considering just getting a 32" CCFL (@ ~$350), which I expect will die in ~6-7 years and then re-visiting 37" LEDs - maybe full back-lit will be affordable then.

• n00b asks: Lg 32LK450 vs Samsung LN32D550
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by Matusay /forum/post/20812194

...which one should I buy?
    Quote:
    Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20817897

Samsung

Why?

Thanks for any tips / LINKs.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Why the Samsung? Because I've seen the Samsung and the LG and although they are both fine TVs, I like the looks, the specs, and the picture quality of the Samsung over the LG. This is just between the two models the "other guy" (Matusay) asked about. If I was comparing two other Samsungs & LGs, my answer might be different.

As for a Forum for the "Average Joe," I think it's a foregone conclusion on this Forum that the Average Joe buys his TV from Walmart and only cares about the price. And before I get blasted for saying that, I have lots of friends and NONE of them are on this Forum or any others because I have asked them. 95% of America doesn't care about what we care about (research, specs, etc.) until their TV goes bad.

·
Registered
853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20818438

Why the Samsung? Because I've seen the Samsung and the LG and although they are both fine TVs, I like the looks, the specs, and the picture quality of the Samsung over the LG. This is just between the two models the "other guy" (Matusay) asked about. If I was comparing two other Samsungs & LGs, my answer might be different.

As for a Forum for the "Average Joe," I think it's a foregone conclusion on this Forum that the Average Joe buys his TV from Walmart and only cares about the price. And before I get blasted for saying that, I have lots of friends and NONE of them are on this Forum or any others because I have asked them. 95% of America doesn't care about what we care about (research, specs, etc.) until their TV goes bad.

BoilerJim- are your friends who purchase at walmart & don't visit this forum still interested in getting the most value for what they can afford, however low their budget? Maybe your expertise could still help them, i.e. in what order to prioritize features, brands, size and the like, as there are still choices to be made at any price point.

·
Registered
853 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand /forum/post/20818390

What are some good, alternative forums to read about 'Entry Level' (~$600 or less) LCDs?

I've been building a spreadsheet with (in alphabetical, not preference, order) LG, Panasonic, Samsung and Sony for the past year - I originally had Vizio in the list (for S-Video IN and Analog Audio OUT), but recently replaced it with LG (for edge-lit LED). I'm limited to 37" maximum for the existing cabinet and 'Entry Level' due to funds. Starting out with all CCFLs on my list, I initially saw a few EEFLs (longer life) appear. Recently, edge-lit LEDs have become affordable but, although I like the longer life over CCFLs and EEFLs, I have to further investigate the 'uniformity'. I'm looking for a set that has a chance of lasting 10+ years.
I'm also considering just getting a 32" CCFL (@ ~$350), which I expect will die in ~6-7 years and then re-visiting 37" LEDs - maybe full back-lit will be affordable then.

There is no spreadsheet.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! /forum/post/20820185

BoilerJim- are your friends who purchase at walmart & don't visit this forum still interested in getting the most value for what they can afford, however low their budget? Maybe your expertise could still help them, i.e. in what order to prioritize features, brands, size and the like, as there are still choices to be made at any price point.

I never said my friends purchase their TVs at Walmart. I was just using that as an example where the "Average Joe" purchases his TV since Walmart sells so darned many of them. I could have picked Target, Sam's Club, Costco, or other locations. I have friends and family who have purchased at electronics stores, big box stores, and membership clubs, including QVC (shudder the thought) but don't know anyone specifically who bought theirs at WM. I also don't know anyone who has been "brave enough" to buy on-line (except me, of course).

However, there are a few friends (very few) who have asked my advice and they all have bought something other than what I recommended. At least two of them have been disappointed and have regretted their choices. The others have apparently been happy or at least satisfied with what they got. I don't profess to know it all (far from it), but as most people on here will attest, I always advocate doing tons of prior research before buying.

I have one friend who always buys based on price alone, not a low price, but a high one. He's a lawyer, CPA, and has an MBA but doesn't know crap about electronics. I told him not to buy a specific item about three years ago, but he did anyway because it was very expensive so it must have been good. He's regretted it ever since. I also have a brother-in-law who asked me what TV to buy recently. I asked him what his viewing habits are, etc., etc. and made a recommendation based on his budget. Instead of getting what I suggested, he bought a VIZIO because that's what the salesman recommended. He hates it.

So, I will stick with my original statement that most people buy TVs based on the price they want to pay, no matter what their income level. In my "line of work," I'm considered a "business professional" and tend to purchase more upscale items because I'm an electronics enthusiast and that's what's important to me. However, most of my friends are also in jobs similar to mine and they just can't be bothered "doing the research." I contend that's the way most people are.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
And then you have guys like my oldest son. Here in North Texas, instead of "pubs", what they have is "sports bars". That's a big bar that also serves food, with all kinds of big and mid-size screens all showing sports from different networks.

A couple of weeks ago he finally got to see one of the newest sport bars in Ft Worth as their

fantasy football league had decided to have their annual meeting at this posh place. While there he was impressed by the clarity of all the tv monitors. He noted the brand, one he had never heard of, Vizio. Since the main tv at home had just gone on the brink, he told his wife to look for that particular brand. I have no doubt they had all the monitors on either torch mode or close to it.

She called me and I told her to look at Costco and since the longevity for Vizo is (to me) unknown, I also mentioned about the extended warranty, and that's what they got, a 47" Vizio full array dimmable led with internet WiFi for a relatively paltry price and an excellent 5 yr warranty for an extra $60 or so, and after putting up with their relatively dim plasma, they all love it, even 'tho it's a smaller screen. We'll see how this tv stands-up to time!

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Hugh, there's a world of difference between the nice Vizio your son bought and the POS one that my brother-in-law bought. I know he didn't get it at Costco and doubt very much if he got an extended warranty.

·
Registered
8,534 Posts

Quote:

I've been LURKing here for almost 2 years. Most of the sets actively discussed are *WAY* out of my budget. My next-to-last CRT recently died and I finally have to enter the 'Digital Era'. (I bought an inexpensive Sylvania 19" LCD to 'experiment' with a couple of years ago but now I need a 'real' TV.)
  • Recommend a Small LCD for Kitchen

Small AND 'Entry Level', AFAICT...

• n00b asks: Lg 32LK450 vs Samsung LN32D550

Why?

Thanks for any tips / LINKs.

Hometheaterforum prides itself on very civil posting and in my experience there is less emphasis on premium and super-premium products. Here is a link:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...ectors-screens

Make sure you scroll down some to get to the actual threads and not the stuff in the blue box which are the latest reviews.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20820504

Hugh, there's a world of difference between the nice Vizio your son bought and the POS one that my brother-in-law bought. I know he didn't get it at Costco and doubt very much if he got an extended warranty.

I have no doubts, Jim. My oldest son is all the opposite from me when it comes to electronics. Seeing the monitors quite possibly at full torch was his way of doing his "research" and not even knowing anything about Vizio shows about "average Joe", that's HIM! Hate to say it, but his wife is more knowledgeable than he is when i comes to the latest...

Anyway, I wasn't about to tell him that his opinions about the monitors he saw is worthless and he should get another brand, That's not the way we operate around here. If that's what he wants, fine! At least purchase it with a good warranty protection.

I just gave them my old Oppo player last night, to replace their old dvd 480p player. Not as great as a Blue-ray, but close enough for them until they either decide to purchase a Blue-ray or I pass on my present Blue-ray to them :)

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20818438

...As for a Forum for the "Average Joe," I think it's a foregone conclusion on this Forum that the Average Joe buys his TV from Walmart and only cares about the price. And before I get blasted for saying that, I have lots of friends and NONE of them are on this Forum or any others because I have asked them. 95% of America doesn't care about what we care about (research, specs, etc.) until their TV goes bad.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! /forum/post/20820185

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20820351

...However, there are a few friends (very few) who have asked my advice and they all have bought something other than what I recommended. At least two of them have been disappointed and have regretted their choices. The others have apparently been happy or at least satisfied with what they got. I don't profess to know it all (far from it), but as most people on here will attest, I always advocate doing tons of prior research before buying...

Well, I was labelling myself as the "Average Joe", but, since I've been researching this topic for almost two years now, I guess I'm not.
I'll have to come up with a new moniker for:
  • Low Budget person who
  • Does TONs of Research looking to purchase reliable, good-performing
  • 'Entry Level' LCD Television

I visit FatWallet every day and I see how many folks buy 'No Name', even refurbished, sets based solely on price. And by 'No Name', I mean Dynex, Emerson, Insignia, RCA, Sylvania, TCL, Westinghouse, Zenith, etc... Although Vizio 'seems' to be improving in overall perception, the problem with getting them repaired, even just getting parts, caused me to switch in LG instead. If I'm going to spend my money, it's going to be on the BEST I can afford.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Do-It-Yourself /forum/post/20818932

I love this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leon! /forum/post/20820228

There is no spreadsheet.

How do you know?

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyboy /forum/post/20820535

Hometheaterforum prides itself on very civil posting and in my experience there is less emphasis on premium and super-premium products. Here is a link:

http://www.hometheaterforum.com/foru...ectors-screens

Make sure you scroll down some to get to the actual threads and not the stuff in the blue box which are the latest reviews.

Thanks!

·
Registered
853 Posts

Quote:
I have one friend who always buys based on price alone, not a low price, but a high one. He's a lawyer, CPA, and has an MBA but doesn't know crap about electronics. I told him not to buy a specific item about three years ago, but he did anyway because it was very expensive so it must have been good.

Ha what a strategy. Unfortunately highest price doesn't always mean best. Though I am more curious about giving advice to those at the other end of the "only cares about price" spectrum (ref. our thread title). If you would just say to them something to the effect of "If that's all you're going to spend, then it doesn't even matter, they're all garbage", or help them choose what's best among their available options. Obviously you would try to do the latter. Of course if you give them advice, & they ignore it, well there's only so much you can do. That must be frustrating.

Quote:
...most people buy TVs based on the price they want to pay, no matter what their income level.

Well of course. Anyone's price range of available models from which they could possibly choose is capped at least by their disposable income & budget....
Quote:
...can't be bothered "doing the research." I contend that's the way most people are.

...but just because someone identifies a potential price range first or even starts off with a specific price in mind does not necessarily mean they care only about price, or could not possibly be researching the purchase seriously. THat's called budgeting! They could still very well be investigating which panels are best among those within their means, or perhaps discover that the dollar amount they had in mind turns out to be above some consensus point of limiting returns, & they would not get less tv if they spent a little less money (as it sounds like your lawyer friend might have been unwilling to do). For example how "if you're not going to splurge on the vt, then save some cash & get the st instead of the gt, because there's not as much difference between those two", as one popular opinion in the plasma forum.

And not that I'm not skeptical about the OP really watching a 19" crt after having been here a decade (I want to see that spreadsheet I say!), but generally anyone coming here asking for advice- even along those lines- is researching.

I won't guess how many people do or don't research, but we can't preclude the possibility of them having done so solely based on their having started off with a price range or even specific price point in mind.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClearToLand /forum/post/0
  • Low Budget person who
  • Does TONs of Research looking to purchase reliable, good-performing
  • 'Entry Level' LCD Television
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show) Spoiler  
Warning: Spoiler! (Click to show)

·
Registered
5,931 Posts

Quote:

Looking For LINKs for an "Average Joe's" LCD TV Forum...

are u calling us snooty?

There is the other tack people often take: Corral the models you are looking for in your price range, then concentrate your research on those models. Only if u can't find the feature(s), looks, convenience etc you want, do you widen your search.

·
Registered
1,819 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20820351

...I don't profess to know it all (far from it), but as most people on here will attest, I always advocate doing tons of prior research before buying.

I have one friend who always buys based on price alone, not a low price, but a high one. He's a lawyer, CPA, and has an MBA but doesn't know crap about electronics. I told him not to buy a specific item about three years ago, but he did anyway because it was very expensive so it must have been good. He's regretted it ever since. I also have a brother-in-law who asked me what TV to buy recently. I asked him what his viewing habits are, etc., etc. and made a recommendation based on his budget. Instead of getting what I suggested, he bought a VIZIO because that's what the salesman recommended. He hates it...
Quote:
Originally Posted by hughh /forum/post/20820462

...While there he was impressed by the clarity of all the tv monitors. He noted the brand, one he had never heard of, Vizio. Since the main tv at home had just gone on the brink, he told his wife to look for that particular brand. I have no doubt they had all the monitors on either torch mode or close to it.

She called me and I told her to look at Costco and since the longevity for Vizo is (to me) unknown, I also mentioned about the extended warranty, and that's what they got, a 47" Vizio full array dimmable led with internet WiFi for a relatively paltry price and an excellent 5 yr warranty for an extra $60 or so, and after putting up with their relatively dim plasma, they all love it, even 'tho it's a smaller screen. We'll see how this tv stands-up to time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoilerJim /forum/post/20820504

...there's a world of difference between the nice Vizio your son bought and the POS one that my brother-in-law bought. I know he didn't get it at Costco and doubt very much if he got an extended warranty.

AFAICT (from reading the various forums and Amazon reviews), no matter WHAT Vizio you buy, no matter WHAT 'Extended Warranty' you buy, if a few years from now the repair person cannot get the part, you're still SOL.

Bottom Line: If it keeps running, you got a great deal. If it breaks, well...

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
The extended warranty Costco offers full refund of the price paid if it cannot be repaired in a ...(read the whole thing at their website).

Welcome to the age of disposable led TVs!

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
TV salesdroid here. At major retailer that also sells tires and doesn't charge membership fees.

1-the vast majority of incoming customers have done no research at all. At most they will have a recommendation from a relative or friend who's made a recent purchase.

2-of the maybe 5% that have done any research the vast majority are middle class with a copy of Consumer Reports in hand. I can count on the fingers of one hand how many customers I've had in the last 5 years that are aware of this or any other Forum of this type.

3-It's not necessarily the least economically advantaged customer who will insist on the cheapest available set--those with little to spend don't want to have to spend it again any time soon--they'll buy a $350 32" Panny, Samsung, LG, Sony before they'll buy a $279 RCA or Sylvania.

4-In my case high post count doesn't mean high knowledge. There are both technical and financial gurus around here that have lower post counts but know a lot more. What I do have is a lot of experience as a Home Theater "hobbyist" and a willlingness to share my observations of the many sets I see on a near-daily basis.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.