Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello,

My girlfriend's brother is visiting for the week, and he brought his Xbox so we could try out gaming on my new CRT projector. My projector takes RGBHV/VGA in, and of course the Xbox gives component out. I know there are several options for connecting the Xbox to a projector, such as the X2VGA. However, all those boxes I have found are internet only deals.

Does anyone know of a brand of component to VGA transcoder (or even better, Xbox to VGA) that is sold at brick and mortar electronics stores? I've searched the websites of Best Buy, Compusa, and Fry's (Outpost.com) and did not find anything. I have those three stores near me.

Has anyone purchased such a device NOT off the internet? If so, please tell me where and what.

Thanks.

Brian

*I realize I can connect via Svideo, but the whole idea is to see the Xbox games in 480p or higher.

·
Registered
7,039 Posts
I don't think that pelican box is any better, its only taking 480i and transcoding it to vga, it doesn't even have component inputs. I'm not even sure why it even has audio inputs.

·
Registered
16,659 Posts
If you have a Fry's Electronics then they sell a Viewsonic Box that should Transcode 480p Component to 480p VGA but I think it costs about $200 ( 30 day return though ;) ) . Stay away from the cheap VGA boxes as they do not transcode the signal , they just do scan conversion (which looks horrible) .

-- Best of Luck ,

----- Jason

·
Registered
602 Posts
Get one of the older xbox hi def packs (The ones without the component cables already attached) and a component to vga adapter (or dongle, or whatever it is called); one end is vga and the other is component cables. This will allow you to plug the vga end into your pj and the compent end into the xbox hi def pack.

Here are pics of what I'm talking about

Cables:
http://www.cablesnmor.com/vga-rca-cable.html

Older hi def pack:
http://www.epinions.com/content_52929924740

using the hi def pack with a vga to component cable is probably the cheapest route. You could probably do this for under $30.

Good luck

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
That will not work. The VGA to Component cable does not transcode the signal, and only works if your device supports Component video through the HD15 connector (such as the ATI HDTV dongle).

I checked at Fry's, and they had a RGB to Component transcoder, but not the other way 'round. The guests leave tomorrow, so the moment has passed.

Thanks for the help, now I know to buy my transcoder online when I get a game system. :+D

·
Registered
19 Posts
When you do take the plunge to buy a transcoder, save yourself some time and get a decent one. I tried 3 different cheap transcoders and was very disappointed. After a lot of frustrating trial and error, I was able to get all of them to sort of work, but there were problems.

The least expensive one I found that actually works properly is made by a compnay called Audio Authority. Model is 9A65. It costs about $150 but was money well spent. As a bonus, it will transcode 720p and 1080i HDTV.

·
Registered
1,206 Posts
The VDigi is a very good inexpensive canidate, just make sure you get a better set of component cables as the included ones are known to be poor quality degrading the image.

peace

·
Registered
193 Posts
I use a Viewsonic N6, alittle on the expensive side, though it has alot of other features besides transcoding.

Can find for $140-$200 if you look around, theres also a newer model (HD-12).

Happy with the purchase to date, since I own a very large nice monitor.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.