AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
391 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for stores in the DC area that have front projectors set up to see. I've been to Audio Buys in Manassas which has the Sony 12ht and both Sharps (9000,10000). I've been told of Audio Associates in Falls Church who have the Infocus 7200.

Anything within a 1/2 days drive from DC is appreciated. I'm looking to see a Marantz 12s2. At this point it's between the Sharp 10000, Infocus 7200, and the Marantz.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks

Randy

·
Registered
83 Posts
It's not on your list, but the Yamaha DPX-1000 is set up at the Rockville, MD Tweeter.

Have you called any Myer-Emco locations to see what they have set up?

·
Banned
3,477 Posts
Contact Jon at abigpicture.net or call him at 703-304-3344, tell him scottyb sent you. He has various projectors.

scott

·
Registered
140 Posts
Soundwerks in Kensington had the Dwin, the Sharp and an Infocus up a few months ago. I dont know what they currently have on display.

It's impossible to see the Marantz as Myer Emco has an exclusive on it in this region and they are not displaying it.

I have not seen Runco on display in DC as they are sold by custom install operations and Myer Emco. Myer Emco standardized around the Sharp at the HD2 price point even though they are authorized for several other brands.

After spending months looking through out the DC area I ended up with a Yamaha and it is great. Nice picture and it is quiet. With 20-20 hindsight I would suggest that you consider four key issue:

1. If you are having a custom installer do the theater, they are going to standardize around a few platforms and tweak as necessary to optimize their product. So, focus less on the projector and more on the installer if this is the route you are taking. The installation really does matter. I have seen the TV 3 look terrible and ok in two different environment -- set up by different installers.

2. Do not underestimate the impact of projector noise. It outweighs many of the fine differences in picture quality hyped on this board in terms of your everyday viewing experience.

3. Understand your environment. Some projectors have strengths and weaknesses. The Infocus is very bright and works well if you are not light controlled but there are stronger candidates for light controlled environments. Conversely, I am not sure that I would go with my Yamaha if I didn't have a light controlled room.

4. Beware of hype on this board and from salesmen. Certain projectors are in limited distribution -- Runco, Marantz and Yamaha. Others will sell to almost anyone -- Sharp, Dwin, and Infocus. A lot of pros will pan or hype what they can get.

·
Premium Member
3,608 Posts
Quote:
2. Do not underestimate the impact of projector noise. It outweighs many of the fine differences in picture quality hyped on this board in terms of your everyday viewing experience.
Interesting, but I have to disagree.

It's easy to control noise.

It's impossible to turn a sow's ear into a silk purse....

·
Premium Member
1,631 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Itrade
Soundwerks in Kensington had the Dwin, the Sharp and an Infocus up a few months ago. I dont know what they currently have on display.

It's impossible to see the Marantz as Myer Emco has an exclusive on it in this region and they are not displaying it.
If this is true then an irate note should be sent to Marantz US to complain that their authorized dealer isn't doing their job. I did this with Gramophone which was a NAD dealer. No product on display, no product literature, actively steered me to a competing product.

Needless to say, I was miffed...as was the NAD regional sales person. I suspect that most manufacturers want to know this sort of thing. If Myer Emco is steering sales to Sharp I doubt the Marantz folks will be jumping up and down in joy.

Quote:
I have not seen Runco on display in DC as they are sold by custom install operations and Myer Emco. Myer Emco standardized around the Sharp at the HD2 price point even though they are authorized for several other brands.
Runco is (was) on display at Gramophone in Baltimore. I'm not sure I'd recommend Gramophone...as an aside, they are listed as a Maranz dealer. Whether that includes projectors, I don't know but they seemed like a Runco/Sony shop when I was last there.

Home Theatre Vision on Rt 1 in Laurel is also listed as a Marantz dealer. Oddly, I've never been there...maybe I'll check them out next weekend. From the name I'll assume they carry projectors...

Good luck.

Nigel

PS NY is a half day's drive...

·
Registered
148 Posts
If Wilmington Delaware is not too far, then I would suggest a stop at Hifi house. They have a sharp 10000z on display as well as a infocus sp7200. They also have a lower (still nice) end yamaha LCD on display. They are a marantz dealer, but don't have thier piece on display in thier wilmington store. Their headquarters (hifi house, not marantz) is about a half hour away in pa. They might have the marantz on display there. There is another store about a half mile south of the wilmington store (overture) that carries runco gear. It might be worth the trip just to save tax. If you stop in to hifihouse ask for chris, he is really knowlegable with the projectors.

Mike

·
Registered
4,658 Posts
The Myer-Emco in Tyson's Corner (tucked off in a little side-street next to the mall) has SharpVision XV-10000 pojector currently, and had an older Runco VX-1000(?) a while back. Their asst. mgr. was the ONLY guy who knew what SXRD was 6 months ago when I was loooking to demo projectors. Seems like a good guy.

They hope to have an HS-20 soon.

The Tweeter on Old Georgetown Rd in Rockville is 5 minutes from where I work, and had NO pj's on siplay about 4 months ago... perhaps this has changed according to Misterfan.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.