AVS Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Experts,

I need help choosing my next projector. I am looking for a 1080p projector that will be used as a main viewer. That means at the least 8 hours of usage a day. The projector will be used for TV viewing, blu-ray, and video games. Any suggestions on a projector that has good lamp life so I don't find my self buying a new lamp every 6 to 8 months. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks

·
Registered
959 Posts
I have been looking at the AE1000, AE2000, and HC5000.

Personally I love Panasonic projectors... I have an AE700 panny right now and its been a champ. I think the lens shift really works well for me since placement isn’t optimal at my place. Image quality is also great.

Unfortunately I don’t think projectors make the best primary display devices… im saying this only from a bulb life point of view.

As much as I would like to use my PJ for EVERYTHING… its just not practical for me since I cant afford to keep dumping money into bulbs. Maybe one of those extended warranties which also cover bulbs might be worth looking at.

·
Registered
5,562 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by agmataa003 /forum/post/14346024

Hello Experts,

I need help choosing my next projector. I am looking for a 1080p projector that will be used as a main viewer. That means at the least 8 hours of usage a day. The projector will be used for TV viewing, blu-ray, and video games. Any suggestions on a projector that has good lamp life so I don't find my self buying a new lamp every 6 to 8 months. All help will be appreciated.

Thanks

maximizing pj lamp life is one reason why many folks (me included) get an inexpensive flat panel for general tv watching (news, weather, mash, etc) thereby saving pj/lamp for more 'important' viewing, ie movies, concerts, etc.

works great!!

edit-i dont actually worry about using the pj/lamp too much. i just like to watch a movie or concert 8-10 times (~20 hours) a month instead of 6 or 8 hours a day-i use the flat panel for that. and i dont actually watch that much, mostly listen.

·
Banned
3,811 Posts
i think the Mitsubishi's have like 5000 hours in low lamp mode.??? i could be wrong, but it hink the HC5000 and HC6000 do this.

i have a Benq W9000 1080p and i could not be happier with it! i use it for all my viewing daily (but not 8 hours a day..i work ya know) and as for lamps,..well they are only 300-400.00 so that's not too bad every couple of years..if i even have this thing that long. i tend to upgrade a lot

·
Registered
959 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pure-Evil /forum/post/14346654

i think the Mitsubishi's have like 5000 hours in low lamp mode.??? i could be wrong, but it hink the HC5000 and HC6000 do this.

i have a Benq W9000 1080p and i could not be happier with it! i use it for all my viewing daily (but not 8 hours a day..i work ya know) and as for lamps,..well they are only 300-400.00 so that's not too bad every couple of years..if i even have this thing that long. i tend to upgrade a lot

I think PJ bulb life is more of a crapshoot sometimes... Some people have really bad luck where bulbs blow out after 400-500 hours...

Sometimes the enviroment the PJ effects it more than anything else. I even have an APC battery on mine incase power faliur to cool to bulb.

On hot days ill turn the AC on just to help keep the rack cooler...

I agree with the other above poster... buying a cheap LCD tv as a general use screen is the best way to extend bulb life.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts