AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I hope it is OK to ask this kind of question in this forum.

I am trying find a good place to buy a T752 on line, that sells for below list price, and hopefully somewhere that others have had good dealings with. My internet searches are not turning up with much info. There is one dealer that sells them locally and I was told they can go to the mid 800's. I know that with most other brands, one should never pay list, but NAD may be different.

Thanks,

TheLevin8R

·
Registered
360 Posts
you might want to check out qaudio.com. they are an authorized dealer for nad and i have heard nothing but positive feedback about them. they are currently listing a nad 752 "demo" for $699.00. the unit carries a full warranty from the manufacturer.

·
Registered
279 Posts
reliableaudio.com has a bunch of nad stuff. The T752 sells for #729. Do a search on Yahoo shopping will pull up a few more stores. On Ebay, some dealers sell Nad overstock or displays occasionally.

·
Registered
604 Posts
I recently went through a pretty comprehensive search for a high-ish end recever for the den.

One of the first brands I researched was NAD based upon experiences years ago. I really like the look and wanted to know about other's use of the recent line of product.

I have no intention of trashing them or anyone who uses NAD...but I was frankly shocked at the online reports of quality issues with the line of receivers, specifically.

Check out http://www.audioreview.com

and search on NAD receivers. I ultimately decided upon another brand as I could not rationalize the overwhelming percentage of defects reported by many others. Like I said, I went in optimistic and ended up shocked. I went as far as to send email to NAD and requested some information to refute the allegations. I received nothing in reply, not even a form reply. So I opted out.

Your mileage may vary but you owe it to yourself to poke around a bit.

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
68 Posts
Yeah - I wanted to buy a NAD also (still might). Dropped them a quick email to ask if the T742 (budget model) had a fan.

Like you - no reply. Not even a form reply.

Why have a website with an email address if nobody is going to bother answering?

cd

·
Registered
604 Posts
Well, as long as you brought up the (off) topic...

I find if there is a huge disconnect between a company's ability to respond and the image they put forth on their web site, then a person is better off shopping elsewhere.

Some companies "get it" and most do not. There are companies in the hi-fi area who do get it, and with whom I happily do business.

The ones who are all about image, and otherwise giant, unresponsive vacuums I avoid.

As you and I experienced, often a web presence is nothing more than a placeholder for Marketing, spin and hype. Lack of comprehensive response to email is arguably the most flagrant display of being clueless. An auto-responder is trivial to establish and reinforces a sender's sense that there is actually someone at the other end. Even a polite, and useless reply shows me SOMETHING.

Lack of ANY manner of reply is a clear warning sign to me...stay the heck away as how am I going to get anything if I NEED something?

regards,

patrick

·
Registered
78 Posts
I currently have a NAD T-751 that I purchased in March. I had to take it in for repairs in September (high pitched sound coming from all speakers). The problem has resurfaced recently and I will need to take it in again. I'm not sure if this 2nd problem stems from the original repair not being performed properly or just the receiver's build quality. NAD is great about covering warrenty repairs, however I hate being without a receiver for movie watching for a few weeks. It also isn't easy to find authorized NAD repair facilities. However, when it was working, it sounded great. I haven't driven the receiver that much. I use my Krell integrated amp to power the front channels, leaving the NAD to power the center and rears. However, my rear speakers are 4 ohm M&K's, which require more current than most receivers can handle (which is why I chose NAD to begin with).

When I bought my receiver, I knew about the problems that NAD has been having lately. On AUDIOREVIEW, most of the problems seemed to be with the T-761 and not the T-751. I have email NAD technical support a couple of times about a few issues and they have replied to me within 24 hours each time.

I've seen that YAWAONLINE.COM has D-carton (damaged carton) T-752's for $709 including the full 2 year warranty. They are an authorized NAD dealer. It's tempting to pull the trigger on that deal since the T-752 has almost exactly the feature set that I want (component switching, variable cross over, detatchable power cord). Even though it isn't 7.1, I don't have any plans to go that route soon and even if I do, the NAD can assign the front L/R amps to power the extra set of surrounds. I'm still sitting on the fence. I'd feel like such an idiot if I got another bad receiver.

·
Registered
103 Posts
"I've seen that YAWAONLINE.COM has D-carton (damaged carton) T-752's for $709 including the full 2 year warranty."

Where do I sign up to get my traumatized sophisticated electronics in a damaged carton and save a whole $200. C'mon guys lets think a little.

BTW Lenbrook bought NAD about 3 years ago, the brand had been somewhat neglected and the 752, 762 series are first true design from the new owners.

So expect a big improvement in products not unlike when Paradigm bought Anthem and Sonic Frontiers.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Although I see where you are coming from, I don't totally agree with you about the d-carton issue. I wouldn't buy a d-carton item without actually seeing both the item and the carton. In this instance, it is feasible for me to go to YAWA’s (Yale Audio World in Walnut, California) shop and see the receiver for myself. If I lived in another part of the country, I wouldn't consider it.

I've personally seen where a unit has been given d-carton status just because someone jabbed it with their box cutter when taking the shrink-wrap off a pallet full of components. The damage was just to the carton and didn't even go all the way through. As long as the component wasn't damaged or "traumatized", who cares?

Everything else being equal, why pay over a 20% premium just to have a "perfect" box in the attic?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.