AVS Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey avsforumers,

My father wants to buy a 32" LCD HDTV to replace our aging crt tv in the living room. As much as I tried, I could not convince him to spend the extra +$100 to nab a Samsung LN32A450 (the former "best bang for buck" performer) since $500 is the budget.

My father checked out the local Wal-Mart and Sam's Club and there seems to be a couple of deals:

Wal-Mart:

-Vizio VO320E $398 (Seems to have the most solid reviews online)

-Philips 32PFL3504 D/F $447

-Samsung LN32B360 $438 (I think they ran out of these)

-Sony KDL-32L5000 $538 (I can convince him if it's worth it)

Sams Club:

-Philips 32PFL3514 D/F $398 (He's pushing for this, though I'm not sure about the quality)

-Vizio VA320E $397

- Samsung LN32B540 $547 (could be $497 based on a YMMV deal, yet to check)

-Vizio VL320M $498

Now, my father seems set on getting the Philips set from Sams since it appears to be a newer model of the Wal-Mart model. The problem is going online, there are not many reviews on these Philips sets quality wise (Are they any good?). I am getting a lot of favorable reviews on the Vizio VO320E from slickdeals, amazon, etc. The Sony KDL-32L5000 I am not too sure about, but I could probably convince him to get it since he likes Sony products despite the +$500 price. The last store option in our area would be Best Buy, but strangely enough they are not very competitive in their pricing in the 32" sector (though there was a Dynex 32" deal previously, but I don't know of the brand). The Samsung LN32B360 seems decent, but they ran out (I might wait for a restock depending on the opinions on it here).

The TV will be used for mainly watching programs over-the-air, some DVD play, and some Nintendo Wii gaming (so I guess good 420P performance is a must).

If you could express your opinions on the models provided and which one is better it would be much appreciated. Also if there are better models out there besides the models mentioned that are under $500 (B&M or online stores) that would also be appreciated.

I never thought looking for a 32" LCD HDTV would be so difficult

Sandman64

· Registered
23 Posts
My father recently got the VO32OE and he likes it. I was kind of snobbish about Vizio until I actually sat down and watched the set. Now I'm thinking about getting one for my room. The other sets I don't really know much about. I don't really trust Philips anymore since they no longer make their sets, I think they're made by a Chinese company that also makes RCA and Emerson sets.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thank you for giving your input on the Vizio VO320E and especially on the Philips brand(my father is so dead set on getting one), since you say they are not made by the company anymore. Yeah, the RCAs and Emersons didn't look too good in my eyes even when calibrating them a while back, so I doubt the Philips would do much justice.

Anyone have any opinions on some of the other models like the two Sammys or that Sony KDL?

· Registered
16 Posts
To add to your confusion, I was torn between the VO320E and the VA320M.

The VA is on sale at Dell right now until the 31st for only 20 dollars more than the VO. I made a post about it and the two guys that responded said I couldn't go wrong either way. I know the VO is a favorite on this board.

I went with the VA but it won't be here until next Friday so I can't comment on it other than the price but you may want to put that on your list as well.

· Registered
6,242 Posts
I would certainly stay away from the Philips. They used to be one of the top tier TV brands many years ago, but now their quality has dropped them at or very near the bottom. I think any of the other choices would be much better than the Philips. I'd get the Samsung 540 at Sam's Club.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by chud311 /forum/post/16851056

To add to your confusion, I was torn between the VO320E and the VA320M.

The VA is on sale at Dell right now until the 31st for only 20 dollars more than the VO. I made a post about it and the two guys that responded said I couldn't go wrong either way. I know the VO is a favorite on this board.

I went with the VA but it won't be here until next Friday so I can't comment on it other than the price but you may want to put that on your list as well.

I, too, saw this deal through Slickdeals, which believe me, added to the headache. 1080P is nice but I don't see an advantage unless used for PC usage and B&M store is faster so it will most likely be the other Vizio. I haven't given up on the Dell Vizio though.

Another deal that came through on Newegg is the Toshiba 32AV502R for a good $399 plus free shipping. That one is also a problem because there are not much reviews on it. I think my head is going to erupt.

· Registered
23 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandman64 /forum/post/16850869

Thank you for giving your input on the Vizio VO320E and especially on the Philips brand(my father is so dead set on getting one), since you say they are not made by the company anymore. Yeah, the RCAs and Emersons didn't look too good in my eyes even when calibrating them a while back, so I doubt the Philips would do much justice.

Anyone have any opinions on some of the other models like the two Sammys or that Sony KDL?

Philips licensed their name to Funai in North America. They still make their sets overseas but they pulled out of the market here. Now they're what I call a zombie brand. They live on in name only. Funai also makes Sylvania, Symphonic and Magnavox among others.

Sony and Samsung make fine sets. I think Samsung offers a little more for your money while Sony tends to overcharge a bit. Though I think Samsung no longer offer S-video inputs on their sets if that's something you need.

Also you mentioned Dynex at Best Buy. They're BB's in-house brand along with Insignia. You might want to steer clear. I've read a lot of complaints about their reliability.

· Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile on Main St /forum/post/16851411

Sony and Samsung make fine sets. I think Samsung offers a little more for your money while Sony tends to overcharge a bit. Though I think Samsung no longer offer S-video inputs on their sets if that's something you need.

Yeah, definitely agree with Sony overcharging. Especially considering that their 32" "S" series is the lower end 32" to their "M" series. S-video will probably not be a problem as I don't see us using it for computers. If it is needed I have a DVD player with S-video that I can hook up. Thanks for the heads up.

Anyone else who can offer their opinion please do not be afraid to do so.

· Registered
614 Posts
The Toshiba 32AV502R may share the glitches my (returned) 19AV600 has. I found the 32 has the same mainboard as my 19. Glitches are: stained glass window on analog signals and lockup on audio subchannels from PBS. A shame because I liked the picture on the Toshibas.

· Registered
91 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderNDirt /forum/post/16858931

If you are going with a Vizio, be sure to factor in the cost of the extended warranty. Once the warranty expires, be it 1 year or 4, the cost of the repair parts will have you back in the store looking for your next great deal.

That pretty much covers all brands out of warranty, not just Vizio.

At least pay with a credit card that doubles the warranty or by from Costco which gives a 2 year warranty. After a couple of years a new set will cost 20-40% less and have a better picture and newer features, just the way it goes.

· Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2muchtime /forum/post/16902791

That pretty much covers all brands out of warranty, not just Vizio.

At least pay with a credit card that doubles the warranty or by from Costco which gives a 2 year warranty. After a couple of years a new set will cost 20-40% less and have a better picture and newer features, just the way it goes.

Perhaps I am a little too much "old scchool" and in an effort to "tone down" my dissatisfaction with Vizio, unclear as to my complaint. Not much I can do about the first "deficiency", I can clarify my disatisfaction:

The warranty, or lack thereof: When I purchased the Vizio, they wanted about 1/3 the cost of the tv for the warranty, which I considered to be quite exhorbitant, so I took the "risk". However, had anybody told me that one part to repair a Vizio would be more then I gave for the set in the first place, I would have reconsidered. Not about the warranty, but about buying a Vizio in the first place! At the price of the tv plus 33% for the warranty, other options with more reputable manufacturers were certainly available. Why would one then take the risk once the warranty was up, be it 1 year or 4?

Parts prices: Charging more for one part in the product then was paid for the product in the first place is rather autrocious. And charging almost twice for the part then the same tv can be purchased new for today is scandalous! How many products can you name that have comparable repair and/or parts prices? With a warranty (had they even honored that, which I now wonder if they would), they supposedly would have sent a repairman to my house to repair the set or replace it. "If" the actual value of the part is as was stated, how can Vizio afford to do that for the cost of the warranty and stay in business? Is Vizio making that little (or no) profit on tv's sold or are they "putting it to" out of warranty customers (at some point, all Vizio owners will be out of warranty customers)?

Vizio customer service: I will give props to their customer service WHILE MY TV WAS UNDER WARRANTY. When told by my repairman what the cost of the part was, I called CS to confirm the diagnostic and pricing, which they did. When I questioned the cost of the part, I was simply reminded that I was out of warranty. When I asked, given that the tv was only 20 months old, if there was anything they could do in the cost of the part or some kind of adjustment if I purchased another Vizio, it was the same, "you're out of warranty", nothing we can do. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told no since the supervisor would tell me the same thing....you're out of warranty, so you are on your own.

I am sure there are many very satisfied Vizio owners, as I was, out there. But my past business experience gives some insight into the Vizio policy model, which may be good in today's world, but goes against my midwestern beliefs. I'll just say: "Get me once, shame on you! Get me twice, shame on me!"

· Registered
1,909 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by OlderNDirt /forum/post/16907081

Perhaps I am a little too much "old scchool" and in an effort to "tone down" my dissatisfaction with Vizio, unclear as to my complaint. Not much I can do about the first "deficiency", I can clarify my disatisfaction:

The warranty, or lack thereof: When I purchased the Vizio, they wanted about 1/3 the cost of the tv for the warranty, which I considered to be quite exhorbitant, so I took the "risk". However, had anybody told me that one part to repair a Vizio would be more then I gave for the set in the first place, I would have reconsidered. Not about the warranty, but about buying a Vizio in the first place! At the price of the tv plus 33% for the warranty, other options with more reputable manufacturers were certainly available. Why would one then take the risk once the warranty was up, be it 1 year or 4?

Parts prices: Charging more for one part in the product then was paid for the product in the first place is rather autrocious. And charging almost twice for the part then the same tv can be purchased new for today is scandalous! How many products can you name that have comparable repair and/or parts prices? With a warranty (had they even honored that, which I now wonder if they would), they supposedly would have sent a repairman to my house to repair the set or replace it. "If" the actual value of the part is as was stated, how can Vizio afford to do that for the cost of the warranty and stay in business? Is Vizio making that little (or no) profit on tv's sold or are they "putting it to" out of warranty customers (at some point, all Vizio owners will be out of warranty customers)?

Vizio customer service: I will give props to their customer service WHILE MY TV WAS UNDER WARRANTY. When told by my repairman what the cost of the part was, I called CS to confirm the diagnostic and pricing, which they did. When I questioned the cost of the part, I was simply reminded that I was out of warranty. When I asked, given that the tv was only 20 months old, if there was anything they could do in the cost of the part or some kind of adjustment if I purchased another Vizio, it was the same, "you're out of warranty", nothing we can do. When I asked to speak to a supervisor, I was told no since the supervisor would tell me the same thing....you're out of warranty, so you are on your own.

I am sure there are many very satisfied Vizio owners, as I was, out there. But my past business experience gives some insight into the Vizio policy model, which may be good in today's world, but goes against my midwestern beliefs. I'll just say: "Get me once, shame on you! Get me twice, shame on me!"

What I'm confused about is what makes you think Samsung, Sony or whoever is going to pay for out of warranty cost's on their TV's. The won't, you may find a case here and there on a tv one or two months out and that is rare indeed.

Once your warranty expires, you are SOL whether it's a Samsung, Sony etc.

My friends Sammy is 4 months out of warranty and his main board went, he bought a new tv because of the cost of parts and labor.

· Registered
79 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by boswd /forum/post/16907673

What I'm confused about is what makes you think Samsung, Sony or whoever is going to pay for out of warranty cost's on their TV's. The won't, you may find a case here and there on a tv one or two months out and that is rare indeed.

You shouldn't be confused because nowhere in this or any other post did I indicate I wanted or expected Vizio to "pay for out of warranty costs". My complaint is about the overpriced cost of parts once the tv is out of warranty. I don't think it is unreasonable for consumers to made aware of the fact that Vizio charges exhorbitantly for repair parts.

Once your warranty expires, you are SOL whether it's a Samsung, Sony etc.

SOL for the repair parts and labor, absolutely! SOL because the company, the only provider of repair parts, jacks up the price so high as to take away the option to repair, atrocious! I purchased my first tv over 40 years ago and have owned several brands. I have never had a tv go out on me within the first 20 months. I have had to repair a tv on occasion and I have never been given a price for any part that exceded the original purchase price of the tv. If the time comes that "Samsung, Sony etc." start charging more for any single part in their sets then what the set originally cost, I will gladly make the same statements about them.

My friends Sammy is 4 months out of warranty and his main board went, he bought a new tv because of the cost of parts and labor.

But did he have a choice? Did the "cost of parts and labor" excede the original cost of the tv (with Vizio, just the cost of the part did) or did parts and labor come to a percent of the cost of a new, upgraded tv? In my case, Vizio took away any repair option rendering my original investment worthless.

If you are still confused, I can do no more to explain it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.