Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all,

I am by no means an audiophile and a lot of the stuff said on these forums blows my mind. My main use is really DVDs, Xbox and the soon to be Xbox 360.

I currently am in the process of upgrading my Home Theater: Here's what I currently have audiowise:

Technics SA-DA8 5.1 Reciever (thing keeps crapping out on me, overloading, digital audio flickering on and off)

Klipsch SB-1 (Front)

Klipsch SC-1 (Center)

Klipsch SS-1 (Surrounds)

Klispch Synergy Series KSW-12 (Subwoofer)

What I'd like is something midrange price wise. These things I see for 1200$ are way out of my price range and probably do crazy stuff that I would never notice.

I've seen some decent stuff with good reviews in my price range and just wanted some options from those who know a little more than me without blowing my mind apart with crazy details:

I'd like something that has component in's so I can do video switching all in one place, at least a few opticals. I just want it to sound good, it doesnt have to be insanely spectacular, but something that i can crank up when i want to and something that will last me nicely.

I was looking at the Sony STR-DE898 or STR-DE899 although I don't even see the difference , also this Pioneer VSX-815 looks pretty decent as well.

Hopefully that will give you the kind of thing I am looking for. Hope that's enough info and thanks to all who respond in advance.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hello, I'd like to suggest that you look into Harman Kardon AVR receivers. AVR630 or below. Harman Kardon has an ebay store where you can obtain factory rebuilt units. Of course the warranty is included.

Having recently used the forum to guide my receiver purchase, I've read that Klipsch speakers and Harman Kardon receivers are a great match.

Hope that this is helpfull.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Zoid,

I am in a similar boat. I have the Technics SA-DA 10, and am looking to upgrade. I have Klipsch Reference 15s for fronts and comparable Klipsh surrounds and center. I have the mains bi-wired, but it is a genuine pain in the *** to switch modes from stereo to surround. Plus, and I don't know if its the speakers or the amp, but the Reference speakers are very muddy compared to the original Heresys that I had before the move.

Let me know what you like. I am considering HK, Pioneer 1015, and the ever popular Panny 55S.

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
I just picked up a Yamaha RX-V657 7.1 channel receiver for $449 from the Good Guys. I looked at several in the $300-$600 price range, and decided to get this unit. It's been excellent so far. It's a high current amp, and does component switching with up-conversion (it upconverts all S-Video and composite sources to the component monitor out.)

I wrote a review on epinions, but can't post the link because I'm new to this forum. Just go to epinions and search for RX-V657...mine is currently the only review.

I also looked at some HK and Denon receivers, and while they were also excellent, none in my price range had component up-conversion (which was a must have for me...)

The RX-V657 is certainly worth a look...

·
Registered
2,215 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid51
I was looking at the Sony STR-DE898 or STR-DE899 although I don't even see the difference , also this Pioneer VSX-815 looks pretty decent as well.
I also looked at the STR-DE898, because it does component up-conversion which I needed...If I remember correctly, though, the Sony is not high current. I could be wrong (I looked at so many receivers my head started to spin...) After talking with the sales guys at three different stores, they all recommended the Yamaha (see my previous reply) over the Sony. (Note: the Yamaha HTR-5860 is the same amp as the RX-V657, but doesn't have the Zone 2 output the RX-V has...otherwise they're essentially the same, just sold through different outlets.) I must say I liked the LOOK of the Sony better, but that's very subjective...

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys, so far so good. The Pioneer and the Yamaha look most appealing. Harmon Kardon looks nice but a little pricey. One thing I noticed is that the Pioneer is rated 120W per channel where like the Harmon kardons are rated like 50 or 75 W per channel. My speakers say they are 100 W output with something liek 200 watt max output. So wouldnt you want a reciever that at least does 100? I dont understand how all that works...

So far I found the Yamaha for $334 and the Pioneer for $450 so I'll keep hunting. I'd like one more in that price range to do a comparison on so keep those recommendations coming. Thanks.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Forget the manufacturers output ratings.

Weight is usually a better indicator of receiver power than those ratings.

Some manufacturers (HK) are conservative with their ratings. Most are fairly liberal with their ratings.

-David

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks Icarus good to know. Anyone know of any good online retailers? I found this B&H Photo place that I think was mentioned here a few times, they any good? I also used to buy a lot from etronics.com, good old brooklyn jews! I used to go to their store in Chinatown all the time. They seem reliable as well.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
ah awesome , b&h is an authorized seller of the Yamaha and looks like that may be my choice, and damn its waaaaaaaaaay cheaper than best buy and tweeter. Thanks Carn.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Have you considered one of the Panasonics digital amp receivers. I notice you used to have the older Technics that craps out but these new digital amp receivers are really in the world of their own in terms of sound quality. They have been raved a lot on this forum and others. From independent test done by both Stereoplay and Sound and Vision magazine the Panasonic beat the Pioneer (in this case VSX-D850) and Yamaha (RXV-657) with all channels driven at 8 ohms 1khz. The results for all channels driven were:

- Pioneer VSX-850 manufacture specs of 110W @ 8 ohms, tested output 67W @ 8 ohms

- Yamaha RXV-657 manufacture specs of 95W @ 8 ohms, tested output 72W @ 8 ohms

- Panasonic SA-XR55 manufacture specs of 100w @ 6 ohms, tested output 86W @ 8 ohms

- Panasonic SA-XR25 manufacture specs of 100W @ 6 ohms, tested output 82W @ 8 ohms

You can verify these results by searching for the Panasonic amps on this forum for the many postings which links to many independent test that has been done on these amps.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
The Panasonic looks audio wise like it might be better, but it only seems to have 2 optical ins, and i dont see any video up conversion listed for it either.

The Yamaha HTR-5860 that I'm looking at has 4 optical audio ins and video upconversion. I mean optimally I'd really like something with HDMI for when I also upgrade to an HDTV but I think those are all just out of my price range. Thanks for the input though, it is much appreciated.

·
Registered
164 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoid51
I mean optimally I'd really like something with HDMI for when I also upgrade to an HDTV but I think those are all just out of my price range. Thanks for the input though, it is much appreciated.
The Panasonic SA-XR70 has HDMI, it has 3 opticals in and 1 coaxial but is only 6.1. Some of the new JVC hybrid digital amps might be also worth checking out as they have video upconversion. Check out www.jr.com and do a search.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.