AVS Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I own as you see in my sig. I loved them at first but now voice just seems metallic and unnatural. Could something be wrong with the center? Eh maybe but probably not. It must be that after awhile and when I got used to them I just discovered I didn't quite enjoy the metallic and in your face sound of them. And they sound even worse when you use audyssey mode on.

So I'm looking for a center and floors in the $1000 price range. I am currently considering SVS ultra line and I know that is quite a bit more but I'm still thinking about it. I'm just looking for some opinions of some great speakers in that range.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
What do you guys think about the SVS ultra series versus the Golden Ear Triton seven and supercenter X? I just feel a little better about the tower price of the triton. But I have to consider no sales tax, and a 45 day trail for the SVS and take that into account. Tax makes the price much closer.

Bah, it's just a huge investment for me. Looking for some owners/opinions of the SVS front soundstage.

·
Registered
474 Posts

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
hey thanks for the info. Looks like they are sold out of the larger floors.

Right now I am considering polk RTI A7 and A6. Or the SVS ultra line. I know that is a huge difference in price but I am thinking go big now and never look back. Just hate the look of them with the "half grill". So I'd probably just display them without the grill.

·
Registered
474 Posts
There are alot better options than the SVS for this price range. Most people considered them overly bright, but they have alot of bass. Be patient for a few other suggestions before you pull the trigger. The forums seem surprisingly quiet tonight....

Edit:

In the meantime, here's a good read: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458372/arx-a5-vs-htd-level-three-vs-emp-e55ti-tower-shootout

The HTD level three towers got alot of attention in this thread.

·
Registered
345 Posts
emptek maybe?

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiforce  /t/1519833/looking-for-new-front-soundstage-dome-tweeters-pricerange-1000-opinions#post_24409619

There are alot better options than the SVS for this price range. Most people considered them overly bright, but they have alot of bass. Be patient for a few other suggestions before you pull the trigger. The forums seem surprisingly quiet tonight....

Edit:

In the meantime, here's a good read: http://www.avsforum.com/t/1458372/arx-a5-vs-htd-level-three-vs-emp-e55ti-tower-shootout

The HTD level three towers got alot of attention in this thread.

Bright is something I don't want. I want something closer to my old polks as far as warmth of the dialogue just more clear and a "present" feeling. SVS has a no hassle return so I can try them out but I really would be more comfortable spending about $1500 as opposed to $2600. I am googling every suggestion so please keep them coming folks!

$1500, nice looking, not overly bright or fatiguing like the Klipsch.

·
Registered
19,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei  /t/1519833/looking-for-new-front-soundstage-dome-tweeters-pricerange-1000-opinions#post_24409657

Bright is something I don't want. I want something closer to my old polks as far as warmth of the dialogue just more clear and a "present" feeling. SVS has a no hassle return so I can try them out but I really would be more comfortable spending about $1500 as opposed to $2600. I am googling every suggestion so please keep them coming folks!

$1500, nice looking, not overly bright or fatiguing like the Klipsch.

Look at the Boston M350 - 1/2 price off

The dimple dome tweeter is nice
http://www.musicdirect.com/p-108049-boston-acoustics-m350-tower-speakers-pr.aspx

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The level three and emp tek I was interested in. Until I saw the centers were 8.25 high. I only have clearance for 8". Bummer.

What do you guys think of mixing a PSB towers, or any of the others mentioned with an SVS center? The SVS would fit in my cabinet.

·
Registered
19,541 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei  /t/1519833/looking-for-new-front-soundstage-dome-tweeters-pricerange-1000-opinions#post_24409916

The level three and emp tek I was interested in. Until I saw the centers were 8.25 high. I only have clearance for 8". Bummer.

What do you guys think of mixing a PSB towers, or any of the others mentioned with an SVS center? The SVS would fit in my cabinet.

In general, it is not recommended to mix the front stage.

·
Registered
2,209 Posts
In the $1000 ish price range and with the limitations that keep creeping in the Arx are good choice.

Couple other options, well regarded at their price point in the forums ...

- The Ascend Acoustics CMT 340's (x3). They have optional pedestal stands so the LR mains will look like towers. (They are dual mid-driver speakers, more like a mini-tower to begin with compared to most bookshelf speakers.)

- Focal Chorus 717V towers and CC701 center, on sale at http://www.accessories4less.com/ .

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Based on how the E56Ci looks I think I might be able to work with it. It's not an even rectangle it gets shorter as it goes back. So I might actually be able to fit most of that center in my shelf with only a few inches protruding. That might be my first trail based on price and what I am looking for in sound.

That with the E55Ti towers I think I'm gonna give em a try. They are in about the same range as the polk A6 and RTI A7s (but look better and are cheaper). Do they compare favorably? I can say having owned Polk CS2 and Monitor 70s that I am a fan of how Polk sounds. Even these compare favorably to that range I think I will like them very much.

·
Registered
2,032 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I went with the E56ci and E55ti red wood styling. I was looking for something in the price range of the Klipsch and these are about exactly the same. Hoping to get similar sound quality with less harsh and metallic highs. Styling was also important. And I think the red wood is going to look really amazing with the new stand I am getting. With the new stand my center will be 10" higher than before, and I will have room to actually angle it toward ear height as well. I want to thank everyone so much for showing me my options. EMP Tek had the price range, the features, and the styling that made the choice easy for me.

I feel like I should post again once I test it out extensively so maybe I can help others out be giving some thoughts on the EMP Tek line of speakers. Thanks again and check out this combo, pretty nice huh?

·
Registered
345 Posts
congrats on your purchase. happy listening

·
Registered
1,460 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teremei  /t/1519833/looking-for-new-front-soundstage-dome-tweeters-pricerange-1000-opinions#post_24413468

I went with the E56ci and E55ti red wood styling. I was looking for something in the price range of the Klipsch and these are about exactly the same. Hoping to get similar sound quality with less harsh and metallic highs. Styling was also important. And I think the red wood is going to look really amazing with the new stand I am getting. With the new stand my center will be 10" higher than before, and I will have room to actually angle it toward ear height as well. I want to thank everyone so much for showing me my options. EMP Tek had the price range, the features, and the styling that made the choice easy for me.

I feel like I should post again once I test it out extensively so maybe I can help others out be giving some thoughts on the EMP Tek line of speakers. Thanks again and check out this combo, pretty nice huh?

Well then, you'll be really happy to read this post! (Though maybe you have.)

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1520036/emptek-impression-series

1 - 15 of 15 Posts