AVS Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
PS3 drive failed last night and looking to replace it. Are there any brand names that are more reliable that I should be looking out for? Anybody know if this model (2.5 SATA2 250.0 SEAGATE 8M 5400 ST9250827AS) will work? There are several performance specs listed, which is most important....Drive Transfer Rate 300, Seek Time, Average Latency, and Spindle Speed .

·
Registered
920 Posts
Any 2.5" laptop harddrive will do, I think. There are good deals on techbargains all the time for HDDs. As far as specs go I am not sure but I think as long as you get a generic 5400 RPM HDD you should be good.

·
Registered
9,432 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rahimlee54 /forum/post/14220058

Any 2.5" laptop harddrive will do, I think. There are good deals on techbargains all the time for HDDs. As far as specs go I am not sure but I think as long as you get a generic 5400 RPM HDD you should be good.

Also, make sure it is SATA.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Do I have to format the drive to have the fat32 file system or can it be ntfs? I think windows can't format a drive larger then 32gb unless it's partitioned.

·
Registered
44 Posts
If you want you could get a 7200 RPM drive, ive seen many posts with people seeing how much extra heat they put out, which was normally about 5 degrees. And it was shaving about 10% off of all loading times.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by jremy510 /forum/post/14221545

You don't have to do anything besides swap your old one out. The PS3 will format it when it detects a new HD.

Just to confirm, it doesn't matter which file system is used for an internal hard drive for the ps3, but external drives must be fat32?

And, has anybody tried the 7200rpm drives and noticed any heat related problems, or any benefits in terms of speed?

·
Registered
44 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Survivalism /forum/post/14221554

If you want you could get a 7200 RPM drive, ive seen many posts with people seeing how much extra heat they put out, which was normally about 5 degrees. And it was shaving about 10% off of all loading times.
Quote:
Originally Posted by streetcredit /forum/post/14221583

Just to confirm, it doesn't matter which file system is used for an internal hard drive for the ps3, but external drives must be fat32?

And, has anybody tried the 7200rpm drives and noticed any heat related problems, or any benefits in terms of speed?

:p... http://boardsus.playstation.com/play...cending&page=1

1 - 9 of 9 Posts