AVS Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay my brother-In-law is spending some good coin on a custom home theater install along with wiring the whole house for sound,TVS, computers,ipods-etc.for his family. He is going with a flat screen for the main viewing room and is fortunate that money is not a problem (I could only dream). he is looking into around 50-52 range. I gave hime a rundown on the pros and cons of eachy type of display (LCD & Plasma) but more importantly I would like to know which particular models are considered the elite in each of their class. Any suggestions out there- greatly appreciated.

Thetman

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
Plasma: Pioneer Kuros 500m, 101fd, 111fd are by far the best models you can find. Unfortunately stock is very slim these days but your local Best Buy may have 101fd in stock for ~2.8k.

After Pioneer it is Panasonic V10 or Samsung (Panasonic has better blacks and Samsung has better color).

LCD: Samsung (8000 series) and Sony (XBR series). However, be aware that off-angle viewing is a problem on these LED TVs.

New TVs from Panasonic, Samsung, Sony, ect will be coming out very soon. May want to wait and consider those TVs. The Panasonic Plasmas will have Pioneer Kuro tech in them (they bought Pioneer's technology).

If he has the room, might as well get a 60+ inch!

·
Registered
1,133 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
exhoing others thought, I also loved the pioneer in store when i saw it, and also the xbr8. The sony xbr8 looked AMAZING in best buy expertly calibrated.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
The XBR8 is a fantastic TV. In many people's opinion, it is the best LCD on the market. You can't go wrong with either the Pioneer or XBR8, but the Pioneer will have better color accuracy and far better blacks.

·
Registered
1,277 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
great suggestions everyone, thanks, I sent these model numbers and some links to him-I'm sure he'll be overwhelmed- but I would be too if I were in the market now for a nice high-end TV. It's just a big investment-and an important one considering the time spent with the family watching. I told him to go over all of this with his installer-and show him what I had sent him and ask questions and definitely go and see in person the TVs first. He likes the installer I think he just wanted a trusted family member's opinion. ANy more suggestions- please feel free to let me know-he is not making the decision until next month. thanks again

thetman

·
Premium Member
10,568 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thetman /forum/post/18138512

ANy more suggestions- please feel free to let me know-he is not making the decision until next month. thanks again

thetman

If he wants an Elite Kuro he should get an option now while there's enough stock left for that to be a reasonable decision. People are chasing BB inventory even as we speak.

If money is truly not an object there may be some other choices worth auditioning e.g. Runco wants us to believe they've solved all the world's problems with their $10k 50" plasma with the custom Panny panel. Unfortunately the really exotic pro gear (e.g. $30k DPX) tends to top out around 23" (and is often SDI only, yet more $$).

·
Registered
707 Posts
Honest question. Why is someone building a high-end custom theatre going to restrict the choice to a 50" display?

·
Registered
6,225 Posts
That's a legitimate question. I personally consider anything with a flat panel in it a "Media Room". In my small Home Theater, I have a front projector and a 92" screen, which is in fact 4X the size of the 46" HDTV in the family room.

·
Registered
6,543 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oiler /forum/post/18182433

Honest question. Why is someone building a high-end custom theatre going to restrict the choice to a 50" display?

+1. Sounds more like if he's looking at a home THEATER he should be looking into a JVC projector. Get a midrange 50"ish LCD/plasma for everything else and the projector for a movie experience.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.