AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Need recommendations on a new progressive scan DVD player to go with my new Panasonic 47" widescreen. Looking to spend < $700 or so if possible.

·
Registered
737 Posts
I'm running the JVC 723 with a Mitsu 55" and the quality is incredible on anamorphic DVDs. The JVC can be had for well under $400 (BestBuy carries it in their stores but I got mine from www.ecost.com)

------------------

Later...

Jerry D. Turner

·
Registered
24 Posts
The DVD player to get is the Panasonic DVD-RP91. I have heard nothing but rave reviews for this player. It does wonders for non anamorphic DVDs and does a great job on anamorphic DVDs.

·
Registered
3,858 Posts
amargari-

I have heard quite a bit about the Panasonic RP91. I have also seen the model RP56 mentioned highly. I have not been able to do any serious research on either yet...so can you tell me the difference, roughly the price diff, features...which one is better? Thanks.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
How does the Panasonic RP56 compare to the Pioneer 434?

------------------

-Glenn

·
Registered
654 Posts
I am also very happy with my Sony 700! I got it from www.800.com for $295 including S & H. If you buy before the 30th of September, you will get a GIFT CHECK worth $50 which you can use in future purchases or to give to someone for the holydays. Good Luck!

·
Banned
4,999 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L:
How does the Panasonic RP56 compare to the Pioneer 434?
Isn't the Pioneer 434 the progressive player that does NOT do 3:2 pulldown? If so, it doesn't compare to anything.

·
Registered
1,525 Posts
Jerry,

What is 3:2 pulldown and why do I need it?

edited: I just did some research and found out that the RP56 does not have 3:2 pulldown either, so your comment that they don't compare is false. They are both $249 pro-scan non 3:2 players. So I will ask again, how do they compare?

------------------

-Glenn

[This message has been edited by Glenn_L (edited 09-29-2001).]

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
The Sept/Oct issue of The Perfect Vision has an absolute RAVE review of the new Sony DVP-NS700P. ($350 list) They swear it has a better picture than the $3,500 Camelot, which won last year's shoot out.

I haven't seen it myself (yet) but I'd sure take a look if I were in the market.

·
Registered
5,574 Posts
Anecdotally, everyone is telling me to get the Sony 700P. As stated by another poster, it lists for $350, but streets at $295.

To answer another question: the Pioneer 434 does not have 3:2 pulldown correction and is not very good. It is being heavily discounted.

I suspect that we are about to enter a period of progressive scan DVD players being a commodity.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Get the Toshiba 6200 or the 9200 (factory refurbished for $550-$600). Awesome picture quality.

I would've bought either one if I didn't spend $980 on my beautiful Pioneer Elite DV-38A

·
Premium Member
11,869 Posts
I had the Sony 700p and took it back. Picture quality was just average for a progressive scan player and was not happy with ergonomics.(you get what you pay for). I picked up the Tosh. sd-9200. This player blows everything else out of the water. The picture quality is unsurpassed. If you have the $$$ get the sd-9200.

------------------

Kipp

IS THAT A REMOTE CONTROL IN YOUR POCKET OR ARE YOU JUST HAPPY TO SEE HDTV?

·
Registered
2,150 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Glenn_L:
Jerry,

What is 3:2 pulldown and why do I need it?

edited: I just did some research and found out that the RP56 does not have 3:2 pulldown either, so your comment that they don't compare is false. They are both $249 pro-scan non 3:2 players. So I will ask again, how do they compare?

I believe this information to be inaccurate. Where did you find information that tells you that the RP56 does not do 3:2 pulldown? I have the RP91 and I almost waited to buy the RP56 because it had most of the same features and components that the RP91 did (except for DVD-A, which I wanted, as well as some other nice add-ons). The RP56 SHOULD have the same progessive scan capability that it's RP91 sibling does.

------------------

Jon
Home_Theater_Pics
My_DVD_Profiler

·
Registered
24 Posts
WOLVERNOLE

I don't personally own a DVD-RP91, but I have heard form other Panasonic Widescreen TV owners that the scaling ability of the player is awesome. This is important for people that own widescreen TVs and own non non anamorphic DVDs. I have also heard that the picture quality is very good.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by pmturcotte:
The 723? What is the model #, I couldnt find it on their site.

Thanks.

Well, it appears JVC has a whole new series out. The XV723 seems to have been replaced. Check out:

New JVC Player

The XV723 had DVD-Audio capabilities but the new ones play MP3s are much less expensive, too.

------------------

Later...

Jerry D. Turner

·
Registered
3,220 Posts
I also believe the RP56 has the 3:2 pulldown. I have the JVC 65GB which also is progressive scan with 3:2 pulldown and it is excellent. (both <$250) You need the 3:2 pulldown to correctly convert from 60 fps interlaced DVD to 24 fps progressive. Without the 3:2 pulldown it converts from 60 fps interlaced to 30 fps progressive. Since the original is 24 fps film there are still artifacts apparent.

This explains it in more detail if you are interested. http://www.panasonic.com/consumer_el...o/progscan.asp

Rick R

·
Registered
211 Posts
Wolvernole, the basic difference between the Panasonic RP91 and RP56 is the scaler chip. The '91 uses a Genesis gmVLX1A-X IC and the '56 uses a Sage (Faroudja) IC.

Both have been throughly discussed in the DVD/LD hardware forum and received very good reviews from members.

I personally own the DVD-RP91 and the picture quality is fabulous. I had many people tell me my DVD set-up looks like HD.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.