AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm currently in the market for a modestly priced, media center receiver to replace an older JVC that's having problems. I currently only have a 5.1 setup and have no immediate plans to move up to 7.1. I'm curious about one thing though.... If I invest now in a 7.1 capable model, are there any brands/models that can be safely operated in 5.1 mode. Or, must the additional 2 channels be connected to speakers too?

Thanks.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by redjr /forum/post/0

I'm currently in the market for a modestly priced, media center receiver to replace an older JVC that's having problems. I currently only have a 5.1 setup and have no immediate plans to move up to 7.1. I'm curious about one thing though.... If I invest now in a 7.1 capable model, are there any brands/models that can be safely operated in 5.1 mode. Or, must the additional 2 channels be connected to speakers too?

Thanks.

All 7.1 receivers will work fine in 5.1 setup. You connect your 5.1 speakers to the receiver and set surround back speakers to "No" (this way receiver will know that you don't have rear surround speakers).

·
Registered
1,847 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by axs /forum/post/0

All 7.1 receivers will work fine in 5.1 setup. You connect your 5.1 speakers to the receiver and set surround back speakers to "No" (this way receiver will know that you don't have rear surround speakers).

Thanks. Just what I wanted to hear.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.