AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have the HSU VTF-3, while this is a great sub....its just too big. Looking for something a bit smaller. My room size is 17ft long and 14ft wide. Budget of about 1k. Looking for a compact sub, something that will go well with my Monitor Sliver 8's. Any suggestions would be great.

·
Premium Member
8,440 Posts
I have the HSU VTF-3, while this is a great sub....its just too big. Looking for something a bit smaller. My room size is 17ft long and 14ft wide. Budget of about 1k. Looking for a compact sub, something that will go well with my Monitor Sliver 8's. Any suggestions would be great.
Ported or sealed?

·
Registered
31 Posts
I can recommend the B&W PV1D if you are willing to stretch your budget a little. It's small but packs an awesome punch. It handles both music and movies sensationally. Have a look at some reviews on the net. And for me the aesthetic was important - this sub blows away anything of similar size both in looks and performance.

·
Registered
3,007 Posts
HSU itself has the ULS-15, but SVS, Rythmik, Reaction and PSA all offer sealed models that are much smaller. How big is the room?

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,249 Posts

If it's mainly for music and you aren't concerned with high output for movies just get a small sealed sub in your budget. S-1500 from PSA would be smaller than the VTF-3 and still have decent output for movies, and under budget:18x17x17. Within your budget, any other small sealed subs I am aware of will have a lot less output capability and/or cost a lot more.

·
Banned
16,231 Posts
I can recommend the B&W PV1D if you are willing to stretch your budget a little. It's small but packs an awesome punch. It handles both music and movies sensationally. Have a look at some reviews on the net. And for me the aesthetic was important - this sub blows away anything of similar size both in looks and performance.
Mostly we don't consider 8" subs (even dual opposed) to be all that much as far as performance goes so I guess it probably is significantly better than other 8" subs. At the price it damn well better be. The gang's reaction after someone of dubious reputation posted about this sub http://www.avsforum.com/forum/113-subwoofers-bass-transducers/1687282-b-w-pv1d-killer-subwoofer.html
As far as its looks, I guess that's an acquired taste....looks a bit bizarre to me.

·
Premium Member
11,386 Posts
astralsfire said:
14 x 14 x14 is the biggest I want to go
That pretty much limits you to the SVS SB-1000.

Also, this will be for both movies and music, but mainly movies.
You might want to rethink your size limitations. Getting into the slightly larger SB-2000 - or even into PSA's XS15se or S1500 - would be a good idea.

·
Registered
2,558 Posts
Just realize what the compromises are. A smaller size means you'll give up efficiency and/or low end extension, both of which you need for movies unless you keep it to "apartment volume".

You can combat the loss of efficiency by throwing watts at it...and that means more money.

Some people deal with the Too Big problem by purchasing or making furniture grade subs to use as end table next to couch.

·
Registered
1,604 Posts

·
Registered
437 Posts

IMG_1557.jpg

IMG_1560.jpg

S1500 bottom and SVS SB12 NSD top- the SVS is a 14" cube

I have an SVS SB13 coming in tomorrow, paid 1285 shipped for a B stock. Its 17" cube. If you like I can post pictures of it next to the 14 inch SB12

If your size and budget are hard explore diy

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
I dont know much about it, but this will fit your size. http://www.sunfire.com/XTEQ12.asp
13.5” H x 14” W x 13” D

MODEL
XTEQ12
Driver Complement 12” Active Side
Firing Driver
12” Side Firing
Passive Radiator Amplifier Power 3,000 Watt
Tracking Down Converter Frequency Response 16Hz – 100Hz THD Less than
3% typical operation High Pass Crossover 85Hz Low Pass Crossover 30Hz Phase 0 to 180 degree (variable) Woofer Magnet 7.5” x 3.5” deep
194 oz. Voice Coil 3” Cone Material Non-pressed paper with a
high density foam edge

The big breakthrough features of the XTEQ are its proven tracking down converter amplifier, its long throw, high back-electromotive force drivers, and its fully automatic room equalizer. Taken together, these unique features provide these subwoofers with as much bass as you would get from several 15 inch drivers mounted in a cabinet the size of a small refrigerator. Defining the standard of quality today, the XTEQ series also brings a suite of premium audiophile features to the table, like advanced auto turn-on circuitry, Anti-Walking Tread Design Feet™, gold plated connectors, soft clipping circuitry, and variable crossover level and phase control, making the XTEQ the foundation for any great home theater and audio system.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,249 Posts

As mentioned already, this is going to limit you to the SVS SB1000/2000 if you want to stick to subs under $1k. If you can accommodate another 3", the PSA S1500 will give you twice the sub for $950.

·
Registered
5,088 Posts
The DT SuperCube 2000 would fit your size requirement and it's a potent little beast. It's usually around 600 bones.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts