AVS Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all.

I will be getting my tax refund very soon, and am looking to buy a new TV to replace my 5 year old Samsung CRT. It has served me well, but now that I have the cash to spare, it is time to upgrade.

I do have some limitation on what I can get, however it is due to space, not price. Whatever TV I get must not be more then 38 7/8 inches in total width (not screen size). I did a little research and figured the 40 inch class would fall into line with what I am looking for.

Other then the space restriction, I am also looking for 1080p support, and whatever makes HD games look great (PS3, Xbox 360).

Question related to this: Does refresh rate matter for gaming? My brother has a 50 inch plasma 1080p Samsung with a refresh rate of 600Hz, and he swears the refresh rate makes all the difference when compared to the lower ones, but I'm not so sure. Figured I'd talk to the real experts here.

Thanks in advance to anyone reading this and/or giving helpful advice.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Well, if you're limited to 40" plasma isn't an option, as the smallest start at 42". Also the difference between plasma and LCD has more to do with the different ways they display the image rather than refresh rate.

·
Registered
60 Posts
I'll second that. My first flat screen had to fit in an old entertainment center that only held a 32 inch screen!

After a couple of years of agony I recently tore it apart and threw it out piece by piece. My 55 Samsung set arrives this week.

Clean the place up and give the TV a higher priority!!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts