Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I would like to know your personal / technicall opinion about Halcro products, since probably we will start working with them in September.

Were do you place it against is direct competitors, sound quality, technicall development, post sales support, etc.

Please, separate stereo 2ch from surround mch A/V products.

We need to make a picture of the Halcro situation inside this comunity, since most of you always have very sharp opinons ..., and stay ahead of the market.

Thank you,

Julio

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Quote:
I would like to know your personal / technicall opinion about Halcro products, since probably we will start working with them in September.
Well I will play the deil's advocate here--it is an amp that IMO is cold and sterile and not anything that I would own in my system...and if they go down guess where you will be sending them for repair (Australia). Granted they have a very low sound floor but big deal.

A dealer friend of mine opened two DM38's new and in the box and both were DOA.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you. I prefer the devil advocate version rather than the sales guy opinion !

I nkow what you say about DOA, buy we must admit that most munufacters are having problems on this issue. Quality control is going down to nothing, even in the big names, some times they even have installed / play with the product before start selling them, and the dealers / customers find out many bugs that are totally unacceptable.

For the price they charge you for a product, dealers and customers need to ask for better service and better quality control, and DOA is not an acceptable situation, only due transport issues.

I keep in mind your opinion about HALCRO and your friends experience.

Waiting for more comments ...

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
OB

Aren't you a little bit harsh on Halcro? I have heard Halcro a few times and while in a few instances the systems were not good sounding in the one that really struck me they were awesome. They place the instruments in their specific place within the soundstage with no wander whatsoever, they have a solidity of image and a "cleanliness" of presentation that is most attractive along with one of the most neutral Frequency Response in the market. You know how much set up is important in any in a system: At the highest level of excellence, set up is paramount as these elevated gear can sound pretty bad if improperly setup.

I do not know much about the reliability of Halcro products, their sound however place them in the upper echelon of Electronics IMHO and by the way, I do not own any Halcro gear.

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by FrantzM
OB

Aren't you a little bit harsh on Halcro? I have heard Halcro a few times and while in a few instances the systems were not good sounding in the one that really struck me they were awesome. They place the instruments in their specific place within the soundstage with no wander whatsoever, they have a solidity of image and a "cleanliness" of presentation that is most attractive along with one of the most neutral Frequency Response in the market. You know how much set up is important in any in a system: At the highest level of excellence, set up is paramount as these elevated gear can sound pretty bad if improperly setup.

I do not know much about the reliability of Halcro products, their sound however place them in the upper echelon of Electronics IMHO and by the way, I do not own any Halcro gear.

Hi Frantz--as I stated this is merely "my" opinion which honestly I still maintain. I will give them credit for what you stated. I just find they don't get me involved in the music even though they have power to burn and are very nice to look at. I find them very "cold"

·
Registered
130 Posts
Unfortunately, OB's opinion is virtually identical to mine (except the DoA part).

I've given the Halcro gear plenty of opportunities, but everytime I audition the gear, it comes across as uninvolving and clinical.

Some might argue that it is the epitome of neutrality... but in real terms, IMHO, one can find gear in a similar price/class range thats just as neutral but much more involving (eg. Boulder). And to my ears, represent what I hear at live events much more accurately.

I've also noticed that Halcro gear is relatively difficult to move on the re-sale market. Not that thats a concern for me, but some people might consider it a negative.

Disclaimer: I did own Boulder equiment that I picked over Halcro and other similar class gear.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Hi,

Thank you all for your time and replays, I appreciate them very much.

Regarding the analitycal issue about the Halcro sound, for me it is ok, since as a Burmester distributor and dealer of many others, it comes to cover our different options and offering to our customers. Halcro sounds comes from his concept and development, it is not a tube.

After 11 years working on this, I use the expression ROSE OF SOUND, where you have 4 basic directions: analitical, openess, calm and power. Maybe the translation is not so good but you will understand my idea.

There is no manufacter who can cover more than one direction, just one main plus some minor remeninscence of another one. If you go south, you can not go north.

Some of us will add terms like sweet, acid, or whatever, to describe more or less the same concept, a direction in the ROSE OF SOUND.

For me, we always try to mix one electronic with is hown direction with some speakers with other direction, and so on during the whole muscial reproduction chain, to finally come to a sound that we like. Possible that somebody comes out with a mathematical equation abiut sound force vectors ... so we can process it in a computer and know how it will sound before we buy ...

Regarding the price, products are overpriced always, does not matter where do you buy, probably an European or Australian product is more expensive in the US compared to a local brand, but the same happens in the other way. How much do you pay for an European product in Asia ? At the end, the consumer and the manufacter put the prices in the right place, since one wants to buy and the other to sell.

Regarding the demos, always you can agree or not on thwe sound of a system depending where / when do you listen to it. I have the case of a customer who was always making jokes about a HT I had on display based on Revel speakers, once I change the speaker to another room and failed in love, I wanted the speakers on the same day !

Obviusly, when you listen to a system you know in less than 30 seconds if there is potential and quality to be qualified as High End or not. Then finding the right combination is part of the COOKING process we all have done.

It seems that Halcro products have come to the market and kick the front door to come in, making a lot of noise and as normal making friends, enemies and people who does not care about it, but for shure they are there, inside the limited club of High End manufacters.

regards,

Julio

·
Registered
1,445 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneobgyn
Hi Frantz--as I stated this is merely "my" opinion which honestly I still maintain. I will give them credit for what you stated. I just find they don't get me involved in the music even though they have power to burn and are very nice to look at. I find them very "cold"
I have heard them numerous times---at CES they weren't my cup of tea.

However at my dealer, on Maxx2s with dCS stack they sounded anything but cold and sterile. I loved the Dm38 and almost went for it, but just couldn't swallow the price tag.

Cheers,

·
Registered
441 Posts
It would be interesting to know if the new Halcro line has the same signature sound as the DM series. I hope we may get to know this information at CEDIA.

·
Registered
3,074 Posts
the halcro logic is designed for ht not in the same calibre as dm for pure 2 channel music hence the price difference

there is no rule saying you cannot use either one for ht or music

·
Registered
2,114 Posts
Hi

I understand that someone may not like the sound of a given gear. I myself do not care about the Krell sound for example nor am I enthralled with Mark Levinson offerings. The list is longer… I did not care about Wilson Audio speakers either, until the X-2 and subsequently the Maxx-2, these I have repeated it, are the real deal IMHO,..

The point I am trying to make is not to get too jumpy on gear. A gear of great distinction may sound very poorly if it is not properly set up of if a certain synergy does not exist between the components. The 3 first times I heard Halcro I sincerely wondered was all the fuss was about… A good friend of mine was with me and just reiterated the dreaded: “I told you soâ€â€¦ Later I heard them properly set up and , yes, they are good, very good. They are as far to tube as one can get, but truthful in their own ways.. I heard them twice again and they continued to sound wonderful.

I do not want to say that someone should automatically like the Halcro, they may not be to everyone liking or as some put it not their “Cup of tea†and “sterile†is not an adjective which objectively describe their sound… only y that they belong to the upper echelon of High End Audio..

·
Banned
8,123 Posts
Quote:
is not an adjective which objectively describe their sound
Hi Frantz

I agree. For "me" these are adjectives that "subjectively" describe their sound and I have heard them set up well.

An acquaintance of mine who is a prominant reviewer had them in his system with X-2's for a brief time, raved about them initially and then sold them because he grew weary of them. He replaced them with the Boulder stereo amp.

·
Registered
130 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by oneobgyn
Hi Frantz

An acquaintance of mine who is a prominant reviewer had them in his system with X-2's for a brief time, raved about them initially and then sold them because he grew weary of them. He replaced them with the Boulder stereo amp.

Interesting. Everyone that I've known personally who've owned Halcro gear has also moved on (though thats a total of only 2 people in my case :p).

But you raise an interesting point - long-term listenability versus short-term auditioning impact - not mutually exclusive, but no predictable correlation either I think.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.