AVS Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

Hey gang, hoping to get some different perspectives and opinions on my future dual sub upgrade.  First, I have an XS30 as my main sub, and I am quite happy with it.  It seems to have similar low frequency output for movies as the ported subs like the PB2000 or XV15, but the mid and upper bass output is crazy good.  I currently have a badly outgunned PSW110 placed near field that I am using to smooth out my FR, and it is working great temporarily for what it is, but it only plays to 38 Hz.

So, my plan is to replace the Polk with something more capable to play along with the XS30.  Here are the parameters and some of the option I am considering.

Sub has to be small, preferably no wider than 15"

Low price will be important.

Good low end output for movies.

The most expensive option I am considering is the PSA XS15, it would be the strongest performer, but more than I want to spend, and larger at 17" wide.(Push the couch out and deal with it because its the best option?)

HSU VTF2.4, around $600, thinking it would give the most low end output for movies, and its 15" wide.

PB1000, would also give good output for movies, good size, but thinking not nearly as good as the HSU.

SB1000, small and sealed, so matches the alignment of the XS30, but afraid it will be lacking on output.

DIY sealed 12".......cheapest option, how would it stack up against the ID such as SB1000 or PB1000(I don't think it would be nearly as good as the VTF2.4 or XS15)

Regardless, I think any of these, even the SB1000, would be MUCH better than the Polk, but I am uncertain at this point what to do.

The HSU, other than the fact that I would be mixing ported and sealed, seems to be the possible best option all things considered.

·
Registered
422 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by bear123  /t/1524226/looking-for-opinions-and-perspectives-on-dual-subs#post_24527065

Hey gang, hoping to get some different perspectives and opinions on my future dual sub upgrade.  First, I have an XS30 as my main sub, and I am quite happy with it.  It seems to have similar low frequency output for movies as the ported subs like the PB2000 or XV15, but the mid and upper bass output is crazy good.  I currently have a badly outgunned PSW110 placed near field that I am using to smooth out my FR, and it is working great temporarily for what it is, but it only plays to 38 Hz.

So, my plan is to replace the Polk with something more capable to play along with the XS30.  Here are the parameters and some of the option I am considering.

Sub has to be small, preferably no wider than 15"

Low price will be important.

Good low end output for movies.

The most expensive option I am considering is the PSA XS15, it would be the strongest performer, but more than I want to spend, and larger at 17" wide.(Push the couch out and deal with it because its the best option?)

HSU VTF2.4, around $600, thinking it would give the most low end output for movies, and its 15" wide.

PB1000, would also give good output for movies, good size, but thinking not nearly as good as the HSU.

SB1000, small and sealed, so matches the alignment of the XS30, but afraid it will be lacking on output.

DIY sealed 12".......cheapest option, how would it stack up against the ID such as SB1000 or PB1000(I don't think it would be nearly as good as the VTF2.4 or XS15)

Regardless, I think any of these, even the SB1000, would be MUCH better than the Polk, but I am uncertain at this point what to do.

The HSU, other than the fact that I would be mixing ported and sealed, seems to be the possible best option all things considered.

Bear123.... the Hsu VTF2-MK4 can be run in sealed-mode.

·
Registered
75" Samsung Q80R QLED, Denon AVR3300, Revel F36, C25, W263, FV15HP x 2, ATV4K, Sony Blu Ray, Harmony
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luis5150  /t/1524226/looking-for-opinions-and-perspectives-on-dual-subs#post_24527126

Bear123.... the Hsu VTF2-MK4 can be run in sealed-mode.
Interesting...see, already something I had not considered yet.  Thanks.

·
Banned
8,744 Posts
The Hsu would be the best choice, it will have the most deep frequency output which is your XS30's weak point. However if you are willing to go DIY, you should not even be considering any of these subs, indeed get rid of the XS30 too, and take the money and put together something twice as good. Unless by DIY you were referring to the Kit subs from Dayton, although those can hardly be considered DIY.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I would argue the PSA XS15, because its the same driver and similar power amp and is likely closer in frequency response and response than the other subs. Its not recommend to mix and match ported and sealed subs. It not at least a sealed sub to hopfully have a closer response.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by shadyJ  /t/1524226/looking-for-opinions-and-perspectives-on-dual-subs#post_24527302

The Hsu would be the best choice, it will have the most deep frequency output which is your XS30's weak point. However if you are willing to go DIY, you should not even be considering any of these subs, indeed get rid of the XS30 too, and take the money and put together something twice as good. Unless by DIY you were referring to the Kit subs from Dayton, although those can hardly be considered DIY.
Too much work.  I have been looking into a DIY 12' sealed using  flat pack from parts express but I don't think the performance would be anything great, so the HSU does seem like a good balance between size, price, and movie output.  The XS15 would certainly be the best match overall other than the size and higher price.  I may pull the couch out to see what it looks like but theres a WAF also.  I think I am narrowing i down to the HSU or the XS15.  Probably gonna be a while either way, too much has gone out lately for too many things.  Time to rake in some OT and get the bank account going the right direction again lol.

Reactions: oneeyeblind

·
Registered
422 Posts
Bear.... looks like the Hsu VTF2-MK4 is the best choice considering your budget, sub size/placement and WAF + the sub can be used in sealed-mode.

·
Registered
8,855 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

LOL.....I think I am pretty happy with the XS30...I can only fit one "large sub" and I love the mid bass output this thing has.  I bumped by original budget quite a bit to step up to this one, otherwise I might have snagged the FV15HP for more LFE movie output, but I definitely need two subs in my room, and the Rythmik plus a dual is just more than I am willing to spend.  Honestly basshead I still may end up going that route, pretty sure I have narrowed it down to those two choices, and it may be at least a few months before I move forward on it.  Just helps sometimes to get a fresh perspective

1 - 9 of 9 Posts