AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've finally decided on a plasma rather than an LCD.

I am having difficulties in committing...many 2010 models are just as troublesome as their 2009 predecessors. So I am inclined to buy a cheaper 2009 version rather than a more expensive 2010, which shares the same (in some cases worse specs)

Here is what I want from a TV -

1) Minimum 5-7 years of use

2) Watching BluRays and DVDs, some SD content and occasional Madden or guitar hero. I haven't had actual TV channels for at least 4-5 years now...so channel logos burns are not an issue.

3) TV will be in the basement so glare is not a huge deal

4) I want perfect 24p playback (i don't want to have a great movie and a awsome TV if the playback is crappy)

5)Buzzing - depends on how loud these get...if I can hear it while talking to someone within 5-8 feet, its too loud.

I think I like:

1) 50B650

2) 50G25 (being $50 more)

nor would I mind 50PS8000 or something similar, just newer...just havent looked into LG's at great detail

I am a complete n00b when it comes to plasmas...so if someone could also decipher the abbreviation: PQ

Thanks

·
Registered
362 Posts
well you missed the most importan information that all the members here will need in order to help you, thats it what is your maximum budget? after that magic number my friends "members" will advice you in sets that are right for you.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by vandal99
I've finally decided on a plasma rather than an LCD.

I am having difficulties in committing...many 2010 models are just as troublesome as their 2009 predecessors. So I am inclined to buy a cheaper 2009 version rather than a more expensive 2010, which shares the same (in some cases worse specs)

Here is what I want from a TV -

1) Minimum 5-7 years of use

2) Watching BluRays and DVDs, some SD content and occasional Madden or guitar hero. I haven't had actual TV channels for at least 4-5 years now...so channel logos burns are not an issue.

3) TV will be in the basement so glare is not a huge deal

4) I want perfect 24p playback (i don't want to have a great movie and a awsome TV if the playback is crappy)

5)Buzzing - depends on how loud these get...if I can hear it while talking to someone within 5-8 feet, its too loud.

I think I like:

1) 50B650

2) 50G25 (being $50 more)

nor would I mind 50PS8000 or something similar, just newer...just havent looked into LG's at great detail

I am a complete n00b when it comes to plasmas...so if someone could also decipher the abbreviation: PQ

Thanks
PQ = picture quality. Good luck in choosing the right set. A ton of options all across the board as I am in the same situation in trying to find which plasma is right for me but I am looking in the 60-65" size.

·
Registered
653 Posts
Samsung has the most adjustability, so I would go with the b550, my buddy bought one last year during black friday sale after I advised him, and he couldn't be happier...fwiw, i just got the 63c590 and have no problems with it....ymmv

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Quote:
Originally Posted by Truquitos
well you missed the most importan information that all the members here will need in order to help you, thats it what is your maximum budget? after that magic number my friends "members" will advice you in sets that are right for you.
Sorry, I completely forgot...
I tried to focus on many aspects

I wouldnt want to go past $1200, which is also why I was looking at the older models...

Depending on the quality of various aspects, I wouldn't mind going down to 46" instead of 50"

Since several people have already commented on the Samsungs, I take it the buzzing isnt THAT loud?

In my original post, when I said SD content, I meant computer files such as mpg4, divx, mk4, vob...etc. So it is important that I am able to watch stuff from my harddrive directly through the TV or a media player

·
Registered
362 Posts
If i were you I would of go with the LG 50PK950, it's a really good set and it's not that pricey. But the samsung have a big file extension that the LG doesn't. Just check what types of files those the LG recognize "play etc". Anyway samsung will def win over this but buzzing its kind of a problem. But if u get a set that doesn't buzz too mucho then go ahead!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.