AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can somebody point out as to where I can find some recommended overlay settings for the ATI Radeon cards (9000 pro to be exact).

I recall a while ago that there were some posts regarding this issue and the proper settings to achieve good output voltages from the video card.

I'm posting this here in the CRT forum 'cause that what I'm using.

If I recall correctly most people were bumping up the gamma a bit and I can't remember anything about brightness and contrast. If someone can point out these threads it would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by hificanuck
Can somebody point out as to where I can find some recommended overlay settings for the ATI Radeon cards (9000 pro to be exact).

I recall a while ago that there were some posts regarding this issue and the proper settings to achieve good output voltages from the video card.

I'm posting this here in the CRT forum 'cause that what I'm using.

If I recall correctly most people were bumping up the gamma a bit and I can't remember anything about brightness and contrast. If someone can point out these threads it would be greatly appreciated.
If you're going to change the contrast, you'll need to measure the card's output on a scope so you don't make it too high. As for "brightness", that should be set to either "0" or "7.5" IRE units, depending upon the material you're using.

On some CRT projectors you might need to raise the gamma slightly, but you have to set the contrast and brightness properly first to make that determination.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Techman, I wish I had a scope to do so but I wouldn't even know what to do if I had one. To be safe I think I'll leave it all at the cards default settings. The pic was a little nicer however with Gamma set to 1.2 over the default "1"

There used to be a thread somewhere regarding all of the "settings" to get appropriate drive leves for the ATI cards, but I can't seem to find it. I cannot remember who started it but they went through the trouble of "scoping" it out as well.

·
Registered
9,398 Posts
If it looks better with the gamma a little higher, then set it like that. You can't really use someone else's settings anyway, since if the default is off on their card then the settings will probab;y be wrong for your card anyway. I've found most of the cards to have pretty good levels at the default settings. Bringing up the gamma won't change the peak level, so it won't hurt anything if you bring it up a little if the black detail is improved.

·
Registered
4,175 Posts
For what it's worth:

The only setting I changed for my 9700 pro was gamma to 1.2. Any higher than that would degrade the picture significantly. I adjusted brightness and contrast via the PJ's adjustments.

·
Registered
1,186 Posts
You could search for posts in the HTPC forum by Cliff Watson. I think a search for "scoped settings" may find what you need. You may also find it on the Digital Connection web site.

Walt

·
Registered
840 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Smith
For what it's worth:

The only setting I changed for my 9700 pro was gamma to 1.2. Any higher than that would degrade the picture significantly. I adjusted brightness and contrast via the PJ's adjustments.
Same here....gamma at 1.2 is just right.

By the way....you should download/install the current Catalyst drivers from the ATI web site if yours are older...they have changed quite a lot in the past couple of years...for the better.

·
Banned
20,735 Posts
I do not recommend forcing a video card into consumer-standard voltage ranges. You should have more than enough adjustment range for black and white on your CRT to calibrate to the video card output.

Second, why are you using overlay, it performs a video to PC level expansion, clipping off BTB and peak whites, and introducing contouring. You should avoid this if possible, recommend using VMR instead of overlay. Check using the deep ramps on Avia PRO or the step/ramps on DVE.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.