AVS Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking to revive my EH-58 with a new HD but I need the firmware to initialize the HD. There are similar firmware for other models on the web but so far I am unable to find one for this unit.

Let me know if you can help. TIA.

·
Registered
260 Posts
I am looking to revive my EH-58 with a new HD but I need the firmware to initialize the HD. There are similar firmware for other models on the web but so far I am unable to find one for this unit.

Let me know if you can help. TIA.
I do not have the EH-58 firmware disc, however I believe I have a EH-58 from which I can extract the first few sectors of the HDD.

In my experience this is enough to finish formatting the drive.. so you do not need a complete clone of the drive.

A firmware disc is the proper way to do it, but its somewhat risky since it does more than restore the drive and if its not compatible with your recorder you can get into a unrecoverable situation.

In particular be aware there are different regions with different tuner hardware, you can't use just any firmware, you have to use the proper one for your region and model of recorder.

Update:

The compressed sectors to enable formatting are 855 MB zip compressed. It reaches about 1 GB into the disc.

To prep a new HDD you would have to have an IDE to USB adapter, a new HDD and then lay it down with a raw image file writer like HDD Guru Raw Write Tool.

After installing in the recorder, on power up it will detect the drive needs to be formatted and pretty much that is it. When it formats it will move the pointer that indicates the transaction log has advanced, so any old drives with recordings will not play back if reinstalled.

But if you do a finer capture and restore of the transaction log sectors to an older drive. You can then reinsert the HDD with old recordings and they will be detected and play back.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts