AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

I was just wondering if anyone could post pictures of their DVD stands.  What I am looking for is the best way to thumb through my recorded DVD's and how I can build a stand for them.  It seams that the front view stack is more feasible for the thin covers you buy for each individual DVD recorded.  You can't see any name on the side of these cases bcz they are too thin.

So if anyone would like to post a picture of how they organize their DVD's that would be great!

I'm just using a card board box right now, and I like how I can thumb through and see the front of the DVD.

I looked at DVD furniture online so far all they show is Stands with the side view.

Here is a picture of my DVD's in the box and my TV Stand that I built it sits under my cooler that is why the top is slanted like it is.

Any pictures and ideas would be appreciated.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

Don't you miss being able to see and look at your collection.  I mean, I know you have a lot, but way back when you could see all movies on the shelf and all the neat packaging and pictures.  A lot of that goes into the whole idea of choosing a movie to watch.  I would like to know with 14,000 movies how do you choose a movie to watch when there are so many.  Do understand what I getting at.  You have to have movies you have not even seen yet.  When you say "lets watch a movie" how do you choose among 14,000?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1993daewoo  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...-for-their-recorded-movies/0_60#post_24523978

Don't you miss being able to see and look at your collection.  I mean, I know you have a lot, but way back when you could see all movies on the shelf and all the neat packaging and pictures.  A lot of that goes into the whole idea of choosing a movie to watch.  I would like to know with 14,000 movies how do you choose a movie to watch when there are so many.  Do understand what I getting at.  You have to have movies you have not even seen yet.  When you say "lets watch a movie" how do you choose among 14,000?

I specialize in movies of the early talkie era through the film noir era (c 1928-1960). I have a general knowledge of just about everything I've archived. I have extensive reference material for pre-1969 movies. My archive also includes a limited number of post 1960 movies of special merit. My customized MS Works database is searchable by any alpha or numeric text and may be sorted on any of the fields.

I use both DVD Recorders and HDD/DVD Recorders so I enjoy a great deal of flexibility in my home office and bedroom recording centers. There are currently two Panasonic DVD recorders, three Panasonic HDD/DVD recorders, one Philips HDD/DVD recorder and two Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders, Sony and Magnavox DVD players and three TVs set up for daily use in my home office. There are currently two Panasonic DVD recorders, one Panasonic VHS/HDD/DVD recorder one Philips HDD/DVD recorder and one Magnavox HDD/DVD recorder, a Sony DVD player and two TVs set up for daily use in my bedroom.

I prefer using Panasonic HDD/DVD recorders when I need to do precision (nearly frame accurate) mid-cut editing or I will use any of the HDD/DVD recorders when hard drive recordings need only front and end cut editing. The drawback of using Panasonic HDD/DVD recorders is that there are no chapters following high-speed dubbing of hard drive material to DVDs.

Most often I use the Panasonic LP recording mode that provides a little more than four hours of content per DVD or with Magnavox/Philips recorders I use the LP recording mode that provides around three hours twenty minutes of content per DVD. So, with the Panasonic recorders that allows for two, two hour long movies or three 75 minute long movies. A slightly different recording strategy is used with Philips and Magnavox recorders in assembling content for high speed dubbing to DVDs. Shorts are frequently programmed as filler material.

About four years ago I had just over 29,000 titles in my two database files. I don't have an updated figure.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

So, you have a mag too.  If you have 3 movies coming on TV like Secret Agent 1, Secret Agent 2, & Secret Agent 3 all in a row from 5pm-11pm  Isn't it just easier to time them from 5-11pm and make 1 recording and edit and divide them into 3 movies so you don't have to worry about any of them getting cut off at the end or the beginning?

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1993daewoo  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...-for-their-recorded-movies/0_60#post_24525023

So, you have a mag too.  If you have 3 movies coming on TV like Secret Agent 1, Secret Agent 2, & Secret Agent 3 all in a row from 5pm-11pm  Isn't it just easier to time them from 5-11pm and make 1 recording and edit and divide them into 3 movies so you don't have to worry about any of them getting cut off at the end or the beginning?

Yes, whenever I'm unsure of the actual beginning or ending time of back to back movies I'll record an extended programming block and divide the titles later.

With so many recorders set up for daily use I often do tandem scheduling and buffer timing to catch "phantom shorts" that sometimes don't appear in posted schedules.

I have another four or five Magnavox HDD/DVD recorders and two or three Magnavox DVD recorders, some Emerson, PYE and Toshiba (Funai manufactured) DVD recorders set aside as standbys. I have many more Panasonic DVD recorders and another Panasonic VHS/HDD/DVD recorder set aside as standbys.

·
Registered
15,238 Posts
I personally think there's no reason to have thousands of physical discs these days. Big libraries belong on hard drives. That way you have instant access to everything with cover art and all the data you desire, and can safely and easily back everything up or take anywhere. It takes virtually no physical space and lasts forever. You can also easily automate the editing and commercial removal process, saving countless hours of effort. Any number of cheap streaming devices like BD players, Roku and Chromecast can access your entire movie library. DVD recorders were a great solution 15 years ago, but technology has changed, and there are much better options these days. If you want to stick with physical discs, BD makes a lot more sense because you can fit 10 DVD's worth of data on one disc. 4K discs will soon surpass that.

Not what anybody in this thread wants to hear, but that's my take on it. I had thousands of DVD's years ago (nowhere near as many as DigaDo), and haven't looked back since I ripped all of them onto hard drives. It's so much easier to deal with than physical discs. They never skip or get lost or scratched. The interface in something like JRiver or MediaBrowser is beautiful and simple. And think of the cost savings in discs alone. Even at 25 cents per disc, DigaDo's collection cost nearly $8000 just for blank discs. That could buy a lot of hardware for a modern digital solution and still have enough left over for a decent used car.

EDIT: Sorry, yes, I meant DigaDo, not Wajo. Fixed.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #10

I think Didgado believes in the old fashion "having a hard copy" way of doing things.  For example, I print out my receipts and save a copy of them that way I know I have a hard copy.

Besides on the Mag535 your only to save a movie watch once, then edit, dub, then erase.  It is not for storage.

·
Registered
4,530 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1993daewoo  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...-for-their-recorded-movies/0_60#post_24527400

I think Didgado believes in the old fashion "having a hard copy" way of doing things.  For example, I print out my receipts and save a copy of them that way I know I have a hard copy.

Besides on the Mag535 your only to save a movie watch once, then edit, dub, then erase.  It is not for storage.

I'm an old guy, just turned 67. I'm like an old dog unwilling to learn new tricks. But in 2007 I did manage to transfer to DVDs selected portions of my twenty year accumulation of home-recorded videotapes, in all around 5,200 titles.

My DVD archive works well for me. Recently I had some friends over to watch two film noir movies. We had earlier discussions where we narrowed down the choices to ten titles, one of which we watched before lunch. Then we visited a nearby pub for lunch. After lunch we returned to decide upon and watch the other noir title. I had all ten titles set aside awaiting our final selection of the afternoon title. During the discussion one of the friends asked if I had a certain lesser known title. I went to the database, located that title, pulled the album, pulled that disc and a couple of minutes later we were viewing that title. We look forward to having a future film noir event.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdavej  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...using-for-their-recorded-movies#post_24527131

I had thousands of DVD's years ago (nowhere near as many as DigaDo), and haven't looked back since I ripped all of them onto hard drives. It's so much easier to deal with than physical discs. They never skip or get lost or scratched. The interface in something like JRiver or MediaBrowser is beautiful and simple. And think of the cost savings in discs alone. Even at 25 cents per disc, DigaDo's collection cost nearly $8000 just for blank discs.
I looked into that option late last year and even purchased a Sony media player and  (4) 3TB USB HDDs for $99 each at Costco. I figured they would hold about 600+ SL DVDs each, which would just about hold my collection. I tried ripping a few DVDs using several programs including Imgburn(as a ISO) and Shrink but nothing really worked very well. I wanted to maintain the menu structure of my burnt DVDs and while I could somewhat play my rips using VLC on my computer I had nothing but bad luck trying to play them on my media player(Sony N200) or my iView media player. After wasting the better part of a weekend I ended up returning the USB HDDs and decided to stick with physical DVDs, at least for now.

I agree it's enticing to be able to fit my whole collection on a handful of USB HDDs but if I ever had a failure it would be catastrophic. I guess I could have doubled my HDDs and had a backup but then the it's no saving, in fact it would cost more to use USB HDDs.

I also question your savings of using USB HDDs vs physical DVDs though. Even at 600 DVDs/3TB USB HDD it's about a wash, on sale I can purchase 600 DVDs for ~$120 and the $100 for the 3TB HDD was a excellent deal, normally they are over $120 which puts them at about the same price as decent DVDs.

In regards to storage I can fit 500+ DVDs in a wallet thats less than 10" wide on a bookshelf, I guess a single USB HDD would be smaller but DVDs are soooooo much more compact than VHS tapes, DVD storage space hasn't become a issue, yet......

Even with that if my tests had worked out well I just may have undertaken the massive DVD to HDD copying project(about 10 minutes/DVD x 2400, do the math) but I guess it just wasn't meant to be, at least unless I find a better program to do my rips that maintain my DVD menu structure and works on simple USB media players.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...for-their-recorded-movies/0_100#post_24528765

I looked into that option late last year and even purchased a Sony media player and  (4) 3TB USB HDDs for $99 each at Costco.
I always felt your problem was the Sony media player. I know you like Sony but you bought one of the worst players out there. You should have bought the WD Live-SMP. I have over 750 DVD.iso on my servers and they all play perfectly through the WD Live-SMP with full menus, etc. Home recorded DVD-R are easily ripped with ImgBurn and Commercial DVD can be ripped with DVD Shrink, DVD Decrypter or DVD Fab.

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #14

DigaDo,  Let me ask you another important question on record modes.  It seams that If I record on the Mag HDD a movie in SLP the one touch dub will also dub in SLP and I can get 3 Movies on 1 DVD-R disc.  The HDD recorded in  SP is One touch dubbing me 2 Movies per Disc.

My question is this?  I have an old TV and may possibly be getting an HDD TV (Flat Screen) is the movies that I recorded in SLP going to look TERRIBLE?

That is what I was told in My Thread I made about ANTENNA TV,,,,,,,,,,,,, when I asked about how to use the record modes.

You can save a lot of space with 3 movies on 1 disc.  Plus I have been a fan of "Gunsmoke" my whole life and I am recording those on TV and I am afraid to transfer them to disc because if the SLP IS GOING TO LOOK TERRIBLE on a FLAT Screen that means I have to buy those expensive disc's that give you 240 min on one disc. Because there are a lot of episodes and 3-4 episodes on 1 disc is not enough.

Right now SLP Mode is giving me 6 hrs on each disc;  That's great, but if it is going to look terrible on a flat screen when I get one then what's the point of all of this.  I have like 15 episodes of Gunsmoke waiting for transfer, and I don't know what to do or expect in the future of viewing.  My 1993 Daewoo is not going to last forever.

I don't want to waste my 100 spindle on trial and error/or have to re-record and re-edit after I get a new Television Set.  A lot of work goes into film recording & editing from Television Broadcasting.  So, what do you think?

·
Registered
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...using-for-their-recorded-movies#post_24528765

I looked into that option late last year and even purchased a Sony media player and  (4) 3TB USB HDDs for $99 each at Costco. I figured they would hold about 600+ SL DVDs each, which would just about hold my collection. I tried ripping a few DVDs using several programs including Imgburn(as a ISO) and Shrink but nothing really worked very well. I wanted to maintain the menu structure of my burnt DVDs and while I could somewhat play my rips using VLC on my computer I had nothing but bad luck trying to play them on my media player(Sony N200) or my iView media player. After wasting the better part of a weekend I ended up returning the USB HDDs and decided to stick with physical DVDs, at least for now.

I agree it's enticing to be able to fit my whole collection on a handful of USB HDDs but if I ever had a failure it would be catastrophic.     ZAP IT'S GONE

I guess I could have doubled my HDDs and had a backup but then the it's no saving, in fact it would cost more to use USB HDDs.

I also question your savings of using USB HDDs vs physical DVDs though. Even at 600 DVDs/3TB USB HDD it's about a wash, on sale I can purchase 600 DVDs for ~$120 and the $100 for the 3TB HDD was a excellent deal, normally they are over $120 which puts them at about the same price as decent DVDs.

In regards to storage I can fit 500+ DVDs in a wallet thats less than 10" wide on a bookshelf, I guess a single USB HDD would be smaller but DVDs are soooooo much more compact than VHS tapes, DVD storage space hasn't become a issue, yet......

Even with that if my tests had worked out well I just may have undertaken the massive DVD to HDD copying project(about 10 minutes/DVD x 2400, do the math) but I guess it just wasn't meant to be, at least unless I find a better program to do my rips that maintain my DVD menu structure and works on simple USB media players.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...using-for-their-recorded-movies#post_24528824

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...for-their-recorded-movies/0_100#post_24528765

I looked into that option late last year and even purchased a Sony media player and  (4) 3TB USB HDDs for $99 each at Costco.
I always felt your problem was the Sony media player. I know you like Sony but you bought one of the worst players out there....
My rips also refused to play on my iView media player, which isn't probably the best either but I would have had to order the WD mail order and if that didn't work then I would have to have returned that as well, possibly paying for shipping both ways.

People(including Mdavej) say the rips are supposed to play on any media player or TV with a USB input but it was discouraging the first 2 media players I tried were such a failure. If it had worked well I may have been deep into converting my DVDs to HDDs and ripping any new DVDs directly to HDD. Maybe I'll try again some day, we'll see.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mag1993daewoo  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...using-for-their-recorded-movies#post_24528895

DigaDo,  Let me ask you another important question on record modes.  It seams that If I record on the Mag HDD a movie in SLP the one touch dub will also dub in SLP and I can get 3 Movies on 1 DVD-R disc.  The HDD recorded in  SP is One touch dubbing me 2 Movies per Disc.

My question is this?  I have an old TV and may possibly be getting an HDD TV (Flat Screen) is the movies that I recorded in SLP going to look TERRIBLE?

That is what I was told in My Thread I made about ANTENNA TV,,,,,,,,,,,,, when I asked about how to use the record modes.

You can save a lot of space with 3 movies on 1 disc.  Plus I have been a fan of "Gunsmoke" my whole life and I am recording those on TV and I am afraid to transfer them to disc because if the SLP IS GOING TO LOOK TERRIBLE on a FLAT Screen that means I have to buy those expensive disc's that give you 240 min on one disc. Because there are a lot of episodes and 3-4 episodes on 1 disc is not enough.

Right now SLP Mode is giving me 6 hrs on each disc;  That's great, but if it is going to look terrible on a flat screen when I get one then what's the point of all of this.  I have like 15 episodes of Gunsmoke waiting for transfer, and I don't know what to do or expect in the future of viewing.  My 1993 Daewoo is not going to last forever.

I don't want to waste my 100 spindle on trial and error/or have to re-record and re-edit after I get a new Television Set.  A lot of work goes into film recording & editing from Television Broadcasting.  So, what do you think?
Personally I think SLP(6hr mode) on video tape looked much better than SLP (6hrs)/DVD. I mainly used SP on video tape but occasionally when my source was over 3hrs long I was forced to use SLP and the quality wasn't all that bad, even on a flat screen TV. On the other hand SLP on DVD looks plain awful on a flat screen, SP is really best although some people are comfortable using LP(3hrs/DVD). Very few people seem satisfied with 6hrs/DVD. Other than PC copies DL DVDs are kind of a moot point, too expensive, very few DVDRs burn them and long term reliability is questionable. I agree being able to fit 4 or even 6hrs/DVD is very enticing in the end it's just not the best way to go(IMO). When you can purchase quality SD DVDs for

·
Registered
13,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...for-their-recorded-movies/0_100#post_24529119

My rips also refused to play on my iView media player, which isn't probably the best either but I would have had to order the WD mail order and if that didn't work then I would have to have returned that as well, possibly paying for shipping both ways.

People(including Mdavej) say the rips are supposed to play on any media player or TV with a USB input but it was discouraging the first 2 media players I tried were such a failure. If it had worked well I may have been deep into converting my DVDs to HDDs and ripping any new DVDs directly to HDD. Maybe I'll try again some day, we'll see.
Only real media players will play .iso files -- not TV's, DVR's or DVD/BD players. The WD Live-SMP is sold at BestBuy who will price match Amazon. I bought mine at BB. I think you gave up too quick, but it sounds like your comfort zone is burning DVD-R.

·
Registered
11,560 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelson  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...using-for-their-recorded-movies#post_24529196

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...for-their-recorded-movies/0_100#post_24529119

Only real media players will play .iso files -- not TV's, DVR's or DVD/BD players. The WD Live-SMP is sold at BestBuy who will price match Amazon. I bought mine at BB. I think you gave up too quick, but it sounds like your comfort zone is burning DVD-R.
True but before that my comfort zone was VHS and I did move onto DVDs from there and never really looked back
I didn't realize things like DVD, BD players or even a TV with a USB input would not play the iso files, good to know.  Maybe I'll take your advice and just pick up one of the WD players at BestBuy, lots near me and try it out again. I guess USB HDDs are on sale frequently, 3TB models currently seem to be the most GBs for the dollar.

·
Registered
13,284 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjeff  /t/1523921/looking-for-pictures-of-...for-their-recorded-movies/0_100#post_24529235

True but before that my comfort zone was VHS and I did move onto DVDs from there and never really looked back
I didn't realize things like DVD, BD players or even a TV with a USB input would not play the iso files, good to know.  Maybe I'll take your advice and just pick up one of the WD players at BestBuy, lots near me and try it out again. I guess USB HDDs are on sale frequently, 3TB models currently seem to be the most GBs for the dollar.
Make sure you buy the WDTV Live media player and not the WDTV Play. BB will match the Amazon $79 price . If you have a spare USB drive, use that to experiment.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts