AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some advice as to PJ selection. There is a lot to choose from and it is hard to sample all these PJ options where I live. I have a room aprox. 20' by 14' with a north facing window which causes some ambient light problem but this can be controlled. What I am trying to determine is whether or not under these conditions I can replace my current 53" RPTV with a PJ and use it effectively for a primary viewing device. If this can be accomplished then which PJ is most capable of this task??? Also the screen issue... I have been advised to use a Firehawk but am open to other poinions. Thanks in advance for your Help!!!....SBWINK

·
Registered
457 Posts
SBWINK,

Well, pretty much the standard answer here is still going to be "view them for yourself." However, there are some good questions you should answer first:
  • How much do I want to spend?

Everybody has a comfort zone. At what dollar value do you begin feel that better quality is not worth the cost?
  • How many hours/day will the projector be on?

Yearly bulb cost should be factored in as a regular maintenance item.
  • How much of an issue is screendoor?

The closer you sit, the more of an issue this becomes.
  • How much of an issue is Rainbow effect?

Try desperately to find a DLP projector to view for at least 1/2 hour before settling on this technology. Some newer DLPs have made strides in alleviating this phenomenon.
  • How much "tweaking" do I want to do?

As you read through the threads of various projectors, you'll see that some offer dozens of methods for various tweaks. That doesn't mean that you "must" tweak in order to enjoy it. I look at "tweakability" as a feature that I can use if I want, not a drawback.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks Jim I apreciate the input... I am planning to make a trip down the coast to check out some larger retailers that have more selection to choose from. I am very uncomfortable spending this much sight unseen. I have viewed the iNFCUS ls110 and MARANZ vp 12S1 and liked both well enogh but am ready for more comparisons. I am willing to spend anywhere from 10 to 15K on sceen and projector together.Less would allways be nice.... however I only will do it if it can be made to be practical as a primary viewing source.IE...at any time of the day or night. I dont watch much during the day but my kids do. Daily use is probably 3 hours or so o n average.. Screen size would not be over 80 to 100" diag. I assume sreen door would not be too much of a problem at 10 to 15 feet but I will have to check that out.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.