AVS Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about getting a 5040 to replace my Showstopper.

I don't seem to see any positive reports for them,

I know most people come here looking for answers to problems they have with their units.

Does anyone have positive storys to report,

or should I wait ?

·
Registered
9 Posts
I have a 5040 that is two weeks old. It is now in the box and will be returned today. It's does nothing but reboot. Customer services was 2 hours on hold followed by 35mins to agree the unit was defective and I should return it. Then another 20mins to credit my account the lifetime subscription. This has yet to be posted to my credit card and it's been a few days so not sure if they did it or not. Guess I will give them a call again today or Monday and try again.

I know that most posts are questions or problems but between AVS and planetreplay I see common problems with the hardware. I'm unsure what to do today, tivo or try again but I'm leaning to Tivo2 I only lose the program sharing since there is a network hack.

Good luck either way

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
I'd suggest you buy the 5040 from a store with a liberal return

policy. There are so many usage patterns that one person's

opinion may be completely different than yours. It really does

take 2-3 weeks to figure out if you like the unit. Initial annoyances

can become huge headaches or fade away as you learn to avoid

them or get used to them.

I upgraded from SS and am pretty happy. If it was just a single

unit, for my usage pattern, the 5040 has been very stable. The

main reason I got the 5040 is for the network streaming features.

Actually what I wanted was a multiple tuner replay, but in the

absence of that I picked up 2 5040s and stream between them

The only problem I can't stand is one unit stops seeing the other

after a few days. Reboot fixes this, but it gets pretty annoying.

I'm confident this is something replay can fix in an OS update, so

for now I'm living with it.

Of course there are other annoyances, but whether they affect

you and how much they annoy you will be subject to your personal

feelings and how you use the unit.

·
Registered
283 Posts
I'm happy with my 2 5040's, for the most part. GREAT when they work, want to drop kick them when they don't work "right." I think it's a love-hate relationship :)

But, I've never seen the reboot issue. Perhaps I'd feel differently if I had. Loud fan (getting ready to fix that) odd color shift (have adjusted TV for that; luckily my Pioneer has unique settings per unique inpus) and I too have the problem where one unit can't see the other after a while, but that's easily fixed by going into the Replay name screen and changing its name, and then changing it back before exiting the screen. As is fixing the fact that a hard reboot (power switch, not unplugging as I have not had to unplug to fix any problems, yet) causes the unit to lose its IP, easily fixed by going into the setup screen for a static IP, and exiting the screen normally as if a change had been made. Works 100% in fixing the problem. At least that's been my experience so far.

The real annoying thing is when it gets hung up on recordings that apparently record with "bad" mpeg data in the first 15 to 30 minutes. Getting out of the hung state either requires time, and then the unit starts playback sans the missing time, or power cycling it, which means having to reset the IP and name.

Annoying, yes. But, it is a low percentage of recorded material. Hoping a S/W update solves the "bad" recordings. If enough of us 5040 owners who have this problem take and compare notes on what might be causing it, the odds of getting it fixed will be better. At lease one can only hope :)

Put it this way: I don't miss having to screw around with the many VCR's that are gathering dust now :)

-Joe

·
Registered
140 Posts
I've had my 5040 for about 2 weeks and so far it has worked fine. The only problem I've had had to do with internet sharing, and it's cleared up after (what I believe was) a software update. That being, I am still nervous about all I've been hearing about problems with these unit. I might return it anyway.

·
Registered
9,578 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by joef_rgb
The real annoying thing is when it gets hung up on recordings that apparently record with "bad" mpeg data in the first 15 to 30 minutes. Getting out of the hung state either requires time, and then the unit starts playback sans the missing time, or power cycling it, which means having to reset the IP and name.
That's the real annoying thing for you? Doesn't even bother me. :)

I record everything on standard quality and have never seen this

problem (though I'm sure it does exist)

The units losing ability to see each doesn't bother you, but it bothers

me. I watch all my shows out of the primary 5040 either locally or

through streaming. The unit that loses sharing is always the remote

unit. Then I have move my fat butt upstairs to another room, grab

the remote, fuddle through some setup pages and do the workaround.

I found it simpler to just go upstairs and pull the plug. :)

The faded red problem? I've just grown used to everyone on tv looking

yellow, with all that makeup, it's not like it was there real skin tone or

anything. :) I ask everyone around me why they are blushing all the

time since they all seem more red than "normal"

I wholeheartedly believe every one of the annoyances will have some

people who either are not bothered or are not affected. The question

is whether the ones you are exposed to will bother you enough that

you can't justify keeping the unit when compared against the benefits

of what does work well. Also I believe most will be fixed eventually,

though it may take a while. My SS works great now even though there

were a lot of bugs in the beginning.

Normally I'm the type of person that likes to research before buying,

but in this case I'd suggest, buy the unit, return it if you don't like it.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have had my 5040 for about a month. I record movies for the most part, and the unit has worked exactly as it should - never any problems. I have also pulled files off the RTV to my PC without problems (once I figured out how to use ReplayPC).

Remember, a forum like this is where people go when they have problems. For every person posting 5040 troubles here there are probably 500 happy users.

·
Registered
43 Posts
I have had my ReplayTV 5040 for over a month now and I think it is working very well . I have seen a few reboots, but my Tivo and my other Replay 4000 have done that every once in a while also.

I haven't seen any strange color issues with various inputs I have. The strangeness in overly red colors is what I see coming straight out of my satellite receiver (so I can't blame Replay for that;-)

I have been recording a lot of stuff at all quality levels and the commercial advance works pretty well. I also have a terrestiral antenna as an input and I've noticed that it actually cleans up a lot of noise off the antenna. I also think the component video output is better quality than the showstopper was.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks to all who responded.

I really hate to replace a 3 year old showstopper thats not given me any trouble.

I guess I just needed to be sure someone has a unit that works.

Off to CC in the am to get a 5040 to go with the Showstopper & tivo unit.

:)

·
Registered
483 Posts
Mine is working fine, I'm watching episode 1 of taken right now that I recorded on it at HQ and extracted/burned to DVD. It looks great, better than my SCI-FI Channel feed normally does.

·
Registered
1,153 Posts

·
Registered
91 Posts
I have a 5080 and it is my first DVR. It seems to work rather well. Commercial skip is not always reliable, but that's what rewind and ff are for. One show stopped prematurely and also zoomed past major segments of the show when it thought it was skipping commercials.

I would get the box.

I don't ordinarily recommend what I am about to recommend here but here goes:

I got Best Buy's 4-yr extended warranty. It covers replacement of the hard drive or swapping out the entire box if necessary. I think that one HD failure would instantly justify the $80 cost.

By the way, my partner had bought a laptop from Best Buy and the warranty covered battery replacement. Again it paid off-- and most extended warranties (like Circuit City) won't cover that.

So I feel pretty well covered.

·
Registered
286 Posts
Watch out for that extended warranty. Does it cover losing your lifetime subscription when they replace your box???? Not my concern but there was a big thread on it around here.

I digress. People say only those with problems post on here. Well that is half-true. I found this place b4 I bought mine and was planning to post about it regardless of problems. The fact that I've posted multiple problems on here implies that people are having problems regardless of whether they are posting on here or not.

that being said I should get to the point at hand. None of the problems I've had have been machine crippling. I have not seen any problems in many days now and am overall fairly happy with it. I guess some patches they've made may have helped and I think more fixes are on the way.

I was actually not too surprised to see problems because the 5040 came out fairly recently and like most software it is chock full of bugz and probably shipped out earlier than some of the programmers would have liked. The bugs that really concern me are the hardware ones that are much harder to fix. fortunately I don't believe any of the problems I've had are HW related. I believe like most of the people on here that replay will continue to improve the software. I say believe because I haven't seen any indication of what the y are planning do fix/add. I can only hope they will hear our squeaking wheels and grease them.

·
Registered
283 Posts
Quote:
In my case, the plug is behind a RPTV, so it's easier to fumble with the remote that to unplug.

And, yes, losing some of, and in my more recent case, ALL of a hockey game is the most annoying thing. Not that the other problems aren't annoying. :) I let the 5040 sit for about 2 hours while waiting for it to skip over the, what I was expecting to be only 30 minutes of undecodable NHL mpeg, only to hear it playing back audio only, and doing a MAJOR Stuttering Stanley every few words. Thought it was a result of early life chemical abuse at first :) Don't know how long it went; I turned the TV off, thinking it would finally get over it. It did. It rebooted. :confused: Sigh.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I am in the same boat as the OP of this thread and amplanning on upgrading from a SS to the RTV 5040 but had some questions.

1) Is it possible to replace the 5040 drive with the SS drive? If not, how can I transfer all the recorded shows from the SS to the 5040?

2) Can the 5040 remote operate the SS as well? Or are some buttons missing on the 5040 remote which might be needed to operate the SS?

3) If I have the SS and the 5040 connected to the same phone line will they still download the channel guide every night without a problem?

Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
2,544 Posts
1. You have to patch the SS drive via RTVPatch with a 5xxx series image. In this process you will lose all your files. There is no current way to stream pre-4xxx mpegs back to a Replay (they aren't the same type of encoding.) To preserve your shows to computer for watching there, you use extract_rtv. There are somewhat substantiated rumors that you will be able to stream these files to your tv with the new thing that SonicBlue is showing at CES that isn't a ReplayTV.

2. Yes, the remotes are interoperable.

3. Yup, same phone line works fine. They will call at different times.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.