AVS Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm really having trouble trying to narrow down the endless pool of receivers. I am building a new home theater that is ~450 sq ft and plan to use this set-up 90% for movies, 5% gaming an 5% music.

I plan to go with a Epson 8350 project and already purchased Polk Monitor 70 SII (front) and Polk Monitor CS2 SII (center).

I know everyone has their own preferences but wanted to get some input from everyone.

Thanks!

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutheater /forum/post/19640854

I'm really having trouble trying to narrow down the endless pool of receivers. I am building a new home theater that is ~450 sq ft and plan to use this set-up 90% for movies, 5% gaming an 5% music.

I plan to go with a Epson 8350 project and already purchased Polk Monitor 70 SII (front) and Polk Monitor CS2 SII (center).

I know everyone has their own preferences but wanted to get some input from everyone.

Thanks!

A Budget for this AVR will help. Need/want 3D? Pre-outs needed? Depending on your budget you may have a lot of choices.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by phantom52 /forum/post/19640880

A Budget for this AVR will help. Need/want 3D? Pre-outs needed? Depending on your budget you may have a lot of choices.

The fact I have a lot of choices is my problem....I don't have a fixed budget and the wife is in the holiday mood. I referenced the EPSON 8350 and Polk speakers as a guideline of what I have been spending. I don't need super high-end but don't want to go cheap. I'm planning on 5.1 to start and pre-wiring my theater for 7.1. The lack of abundance of 7.1 material is driving that decision.

I plan to basically hook-up my HTPC (has hdmi out), Direct Tv and PS3 to the system. Does that help?

·
Registered
9,938 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutheater /forum/post/19640977

The lack of abundance of 7.1 material is driving that decision.

A 7.1 receiver can matrix any 5.1 material into 7.1, so if you want to get it all done at once, you can.

·
Registered
7,815 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutheater /forum/post/19640977

The fact I have a lot of choices is my problem....I don't have a fixed budget and the wife is in the holiday mood. I referenced the EPSON 8350 and Polk speakers as a guideline of what I have been spending. I don't need super high-end but don't want to go cheap. I'm planning on 5.1 to start and pre-wiring my theater for 7.1. The lack of abundance of 7.1 material is driving that decision.

I plan to basically hook-up my HTPC (has hdmi out), Direct Tv and PS3 to the system. Does that help?

Then I would choose something that has pre-outs and the connections you need and go from there. The Yamaha 765/1065 from last year would probably work. One of those and an Emotiva UPA5/7 would really help that system out. The 667 from this year would also work. If you don't want to add an amp, I would also consider the Yamaha 867 or the A1000/2000 from Yamaha, all of these are network AVR's. That Aventage line from Yamaha sure does look nice. Even though Polks are fairly sensitive I've found they sound a lot better with as much power as you can feed them. That's why I suggested the AVR + amp system. Good luck and enjoy whatever you choose.

·
Registered
2,421 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by mutheater /forum/post/0

Pioneer 1120 + Emotiva UPA7

·
Registered
3,297 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by palehorse /forum/post/19641853

Pioneer 1120 + Emotiva UPA7

Pioneer 1120 + Emotiva XPA5 Towers handle 275 watts. Make a difference in your life. That's what I use. If you go 7 drive the backs off the receiver. The upa7 is fine and about same cost. The 1120 is strong because for $500 shipped with factory warranty it has preamp outs and network connection. I paid double that last year for only slightly better.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·

Quote:
Originally Posted by kikkenit2 /forum/post/19643535

Pioneer 1120 + Emotiva XPA5 Towers handle 275 watts. Make a difference in your life. That's what I use. If you go 7 drive the backs off the receiver. The upa7 is fine and about same cost. The 1120 is strong because for $500 shipped with factory warranty it has preamp outs and network connection. I paid double that last year for only slightly better.

Awesome! I did some research on the Pioneer 1120 and it seems to have all the features I need at the right price. The ability to add it to my home network is a nice bonus.

Can anyone make a case against the Pioneer 1120...is there some shortfall that I am missing? It seems like a great value in terms of features and performance at that price point.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts