AVS Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this under a thread in the Speakers forum, but this is probably a more appropriate place.

Looking for feedback on a proposed receiver for the system below. I am not very familiar with home theater systems in general, but have pretty much decided we only need a 5.1 system as we live in a small apartment in NYC.

The room is about 12x12' the couch about 10' from the TV (front wall). Left side of the 'room' is open to the kitchen, right side of the room is all windows. There is a wall right behind the couch.

Visual aesthetics is important (for my wife) which is why I'm going for the in-wall low profile speakers that can be painted to blend in. I like the DI as it will hopefully blend into the room and she won't kill me.

Front Left/Right/Center: Definitive DI 6.5LCR (275 watts) or DI 5.5LCR (250 watts)
Rear Left/Right: Definitive DI 5.5S (175 Watts)
Sub: TBD (likely something small and compact to go behind the couch.

Receiver: Need a good recommendation here. Looking to keep this on a minimal budget, all things considered. Small footprint is ideal (I have 18" width in my AV cabinet). Minimal input needs (Tivo Premiere/Blu-ray DVD and input from my Airport for music streaming). Does not need to be fancy, but I will be getting a record player (purchasing separate AMP so a Phono input is not 100% necessary). I was looking at this Marantz receiver ( NR1501 ) based on the size. Not sure if the 50 watts per channel will under power the speakers, the Crutchfield advisor thought it would be sufficient.

Thanks for your input!

·
Registered
18,923 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sschwar2 /forum/post/19600007

Thanks - considering that the output of the receiver is much less than what the speakers can handle, does that mean the speakers quality won't be maximized?

I am not sure the two are related.

I feel you can ignore speaker power ratings for the most part.

It's actually good to have speakers that can handle a lot of power. The better the speaker's voice coils are at dissapating heat, the less chance you have of damaging them.

If you lack power it's not a matter of not using your speakers to their full potential. The problem will be that you can't play as loudly as you like, and if you try to play more loudly you will get distortion. In the worst case scenario you can damage speakers. Reduce volume such that the sound quality is not compromised.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.