AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently acquired a Biostar IDEQ 210P which came with an AMD Sempron 3100+. I'd like to use this as a HTPC, just to playback downloaded avi files and to stream from Netflix/Hulu. I'd love to be able to play 720p mkv files if possible. I don't need to be able to record, I have a TivoHD that can record OTA HD.

My question is - what kind of video card would work best here? The power supply is an Enhance True 250W and I'd rather not replace it if I don't have to. I need an AGP card for this setup and I'd like to keep the noise on the low side, so a passively cooled card would be ideal, or at least a card with a quiet fan.

Thanks.

Edit - forgot to mention, I will not be gaming on this rig at all. Just want to playback the files mentioned above & handle streaming.

· Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm going to show my ignorance here, but if I'm just playing back downloaded shows (either .avi or .mkv), do I need to worry about HDCP? I'll be hooking this up to my Sony KDF50E2000 via a DVI --> HDMI cable.

Thanks.

· Registered
1,138 Posts
ATI 3XXX are available in AGP. They are HDCP-compliant and offload HD processing to the GPU.

· Registered
274 Posts
You're options will be very limited.

You're only options will be:

ati

-2400 or 3450(officially needs 300w)

ATI does not support AGP, drivers and compatibility will be an issue.

Hardware acceleration only works with compatible files

the files you mention do not require hdcp

· Registered
4,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for all the advice. Just for sh*ts & giggles I threw in an old ti4200 (128MB) I had laying around...and believe it or not, it's able to play the avi files without a hitch and 720p mkv files with only an occasional stutter. And this is with only 512mb of RAM (PC3200). I think once I bump up the RAM to at least 1 GB, this thing may be good to go. I've got it hooked up to my 32" LCD and the PQ is pretty damn good.

If I decide to get crazy and put in an internal Blu-Ray drive down the road, then I'll have to look into upgrading the video card to something with HDCP.

I'm also gonna try a 6600GT that I lent to a friend a while back just to see how it compares to the ti4200.

· Registered
274 Posts
That videocard is not doing anything for that 720p file.

The 6600GT will also be unable to help out (maybe JUST maybe it will help stop the 720p stutter with the right decoder)

You're CPU can play 720p video as good as stutter free if you use CoreAVC

The lowest card you can get to guarantee 1080p playback is the ati 2400pro

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.