AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
86 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi,

I have a bad back, so.. trying to research a tv I can use both from about 3-4 feet away while seated and also from 8-9.

I really like the color of plasma better than lcd, but.. lighting can be an issue.

Are there any 37-50 inch Plasmas that would work well for use as desktop monitor and for lounge chair viewing??

oh.. ability to read text is important.

Thanks!

Mike

·
Registered
732 Posts
For 3', even with a 37" screen, you're going to want 1080.

I would personally be looking at an LCD for this application:

lighting can be an issue

high resolution requirement

potentially a lot of static images (such as IE menu bar)

·
Registered
2,337 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoldenstrand /forum/post/0

Hi,

I have a bad back, so.. trying to research a tv I can use both from about 3-4 feet away while seated and also from 8-9.

I really like the color of plasma better than lcd, but.. lighting can be an issue.

Are there any 37-50 inch Plasmas that would work well for use as desktop monitor and for lounge chair viewing??

oh.. ability to read text is important.

Thanks!

Mike

Check out the Panasonic TH-50PF9UK plasma. Its 1080p, and has both a VGA and DVI input that accept 1080p/60 resolution. Price is a bit steep - probably 25%-30% more than the equivalent LCD - but you will likely get a far superior picture. However, it does not have a tuner, so you'd need an external cable or satelite box to watch television on it.

·
Registered
480 Posts
If it is primarily a PC monitor for text use, then LCD is the way to go.

But if you are planning to watch alot of media such as movies, tv, or other video content, then a plasma will give you a better picture quality (colors, motion).

Static windows on a plasma is generally a recipe for burn-in. Maybe consider a Pioneer 5070 and put it in "Game Mode" where it dials down the contrast setting for you. The Pioneers seem to be pretty resistent to IR. Also the Pioneer has a single pane of glass whereas the Panasonics have two panes which create a slight double image if you look closely. If you are staring at text closely alot, you might not want to have the double panes and the slight double image.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Most Hitachi's use ALiS technology which creates a slight flicker, especially at the bottom line and top line of the screen. If you are staring up close for long hours, this might also become something that might bug your eyes.

I'd recommend a Pio 4270 or 5070, or an lcd. You could also consider the 2007 generation of NEC's which are very similar to the Pio's (single pane as well); the NEC's might cost a little more and might give you more settings you can adjust.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.