AVS Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for a new second HD TV for my home office. The main use of the tv will be to watch hockey games and other sports in HD. Because of the set up and size of the room, I don't need anything bigger than 36 inches (give or take).

I was leaning toward a plasma, because I've heard that historically, they've been better for sports. However, I am open to either an LCD or plasma. I've done some initial research, and it seems like the name-brands in for LCD/plasmas in this size can range from $1000-1500 (give or take).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've learned a ton about this stuff from this forum already.

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by poploser /forum/post/0

I'm looking for a new second HD TV for my home office. The main use of the tv will be to watch hockey games and other sports in HD. Because of the set up and size of the room, I don't need anything bigger than 36 inches (give or take).

I was leaning toward a plasma, because I've heard that historically, they've been better for sports. However, I am open to either an LCD or plasma. I've done some initial research, and it seems like the name-brands in for LCD/plasmas in this size can range from $1000-1500 (give or take).

Any suggestions would be appreciated. I've learned a ton about this stuff from this forum already.

What is your viewing distance? Measure eyes to front of expected screen placement.

Gary

·
Registered
968 Posts

Quote:

I'm about 5 feet.

That's close. Go to a store and carefully view displays at that distance to see whether you see SDE intruding into the PQ.

At that distance, you may well be a candidate for 1080p. Plasma 1080p, the Pioneer fhd-1, looks great from that distance but is mucho $. While I am a plasma fan, you may indeed need to go LCD for the resolution. I don't know, however, if 1080p LCD is in your $ range either.

If you can get back to 6-7', then I think a 42" plasma would work. All depends on your eyesight.

Let us know what you observe.

Cheers,

Gary

·
Registered
732 Posts

Quote:

A 36" 1080p LCD might be what you need. Just make sure that you check them out and get one that does not show motion trails (ghosting) on the puck flying aroud the ice.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.