AVS Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I need to add a SATA controller to a Dell T100 server. The onboard SATA does not support hotswap.

Also, it needs to support a 4TB drive. And I need Windows Server 2003 drivers.

I bought a Adaptec 1405. However, I learned the hard way that it does not support drives above 2TB.

Can Anyone recommend a good SATA card? I don't need great RAID support as I am not planning to do RAID. However, I want to hot swap a backup drive (I do have a hot swap capable caddy).

·
Banned
29,681 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarshonarbangla  /t/1470355/looking-for-sata-controller-help-hotswap-and-4tb-support/0_50#post_23256162

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole  /t/1470355/looking-for-sata-controller-help-hotswap-and-4tb-support#post_23256100

Thanks. The flashing is for the > 2TB support?

No. Flashing makes JBOD possible on the card and makes it completely transparent to Windows.

This.

No extra bios load up screens. Just adds 8 high speed SATA ports.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mfusick  /t/1470355/looking-for-sata-controller-help-hotswap-and-4tb-support#post_23258253

Usually cost more than the IBM though... and I believe that card is only x4 and you'd need the SASLP2 ? (more expensive)
Actually, they're usually about the same price and frequently much less on ebay for used ones. They'll support SATA II drives up to 4TB with the latest firmware. They only require a x4 PCI-e slot. I believe Supermicro does have a newer version that supports SATA III drives, but that only comes in handy if you perform frequent parity checks and they require PCI-e x8 slots. For everyday use, SATA II transfer rates are more than you'll need, especially if you have a media server. From what I gather, the major benefit of using the IBM M1015 cards is that they have better driver support for some operating systems. I've been using the MV8's in an unRAID server for over six years and they work fine.

·
Banned
29,681 Posts
You basically summed up what I thought. The IBM has native driver support in windows 7 or Windows Home Server- You just slap it into the slot and turn the machine on. Done. No driver needed. That's always a good thing

Also,

The IBM plays very nice with Esxi and pass through for Virtual machines / HDD's and I believe there is some issue with the SASLP. ( I also believe you might need to flash SASLP for support of 4TB and 3TB HDDs ??) IBM has native support of drives larger than 2TB but requires flashing to IT mode for invisible HBA function.

Lastly, You are correct in the x4 versus x8 speed. I do run 8 full speed 7200rpm Seagate 3TB HDD's on my IBM M1015 and run parity validate, check, and updates constantly. The max read or write of my HDD is about 200MB/sec which is 200 x 8 = 1600MB/sec at the maximum.

PCI-E v1.x on the other hand is able to transfer 250 MB/s (2.5 GT/s) per lane so a PCI-E x4 card will be able to transfer of the order of 1000MB/s. Higher versions of the PCI-E standard can transfer more, as an example V2.0 can transfer 500MB/s per lane.

If you were running SATAII drives or SSD's you'd clearly want the x8 speed card. But if your running slower HDD (like older slower 5400RPM Green drives) it's not going to matter much.

Personally, I would only get the SASLP2 if I was buying today (x8 speed). The advantage of that card is it is a native HBA card that will just work without flashing it. The IBM might be better or more compatible but you need to flash it to IT mode. It's not hard to do (I did mine and instructions in my server thread) but it's a negative of the IBM if your keeping score. Many rookies might not want to mess around with that. It requires typing a few commands into a DOS prompt

I actually purchased the SASLP2 from two different places but it was OOS. It was my first choice per ReneTHX recommendation. I then ended up cancelling my order @$145 and purchased the IBM on ebay with bracket for $79 because I did not want to wait for it to come back in stock. I'm glad I did.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by metropole  /t/1470355/looking-for-sata-controller-help-hotswap-and-4tb-support#post_23274600

So, is there a noticeable driver difference between the IBM and Supermicro for Windows Server 2003?
I can't say for sure. I just know that you may have better luck finding drivers for the IBM than the Supermicro for certain operating systems. I believe the latest Supermicro drivers are actually downloaded from a different website that supports a similar card. The Supermicro product website indicates there is support for Windows 2003 so I would assume there are native drivers included with the server software.

·
Registered
1,515 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Regarding the IBM, it can be had for less on ebay with the low profile bracket. However, I need full brackets.

Are there norms for brackets? Is there a universal part I can buy or reuse?

·
Registered
9,431 Posts
I bought a standard bracket for my IBM M1015 from eBay for $9 shipped. My card didn't come with either bracket, but was only $75 shipped. So I was at $85 total shipped.

·
Registered
501 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain_video  /t/1470355/looking-for-sata-controller-help-hotswap-and-4tb-support#post_23275015

I can't say for sure. I just know that you may have better luck finding drivers for the IBM than the Supermicro for certain operating systems. I believe the latest Supermicro drivers are actually downloaded from a different website that supports a similar card. The Supermicro product website indicates there is support for Windows 2003 so I would assume there are native drivers included with the server software.
Do you think (see) supermicro has its driver for Windows server 2012? Thanks.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts