AVS Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The title pretty much says it. I'm looking for a budget set for backup duty. I only need a couple of HDMI inputs at most, cable box and maybe a HTPC. I will likely use the built-in speakers for a while until I decide if I need to go receiver/speakers. Primary tv/movie watching will be done on a much nicer system in the basement. This will be a backup in the living room for when the wife wants to watch TLC while something interesting is on.
Both of these sets are within $30 of each other. I briefly looked at them side-by-side in Walmart last night. The Samsung looked a little nicer in-store, but who knows the picture settings, etc?

Any advice from the wise around here? Thanks.

·
Registered
6,242 Posts
Take your pick. The Samsung "550" has been around for four years now (A550... D550) and is highly respected. The Sony is a 2011 model and also seems to be a winner in the 60hz field like the D550.

I don't think you can go wrong with either one, so choose the model you like & enjoy.

·
Registered
5,307 Posts
Iirc the Sony only has 2 HDMI inputs, the D550 has 4? I normally prefer Sony but the D550 series has been around long enough to establish a great track record so I'd get it just for the extra HDMI inputs. Always better to have more than you think you'll need than to find yourself limited at a later date.

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks guys. I was kinda leaning toward the Sammy after seeing them side-by-side and also for the extra HDMI inputs. Never can have too many. I was never a Sony product fan until I got their 55EX500 last year. Great picture. I guess I'll just keep an eye on prices to see if either takes a turn.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts