AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Seleco HT300 and Marantz 1280x720 DLPs are not out yet. I'm very interested in the Sharp 9000 but want to know how the other 1280x720's stack up.

The Seleco is coming out mid-November with a retail price around $15,000. Is it going to have an IEEE 1394 (a.k.a. FireWire) and/or DVI input?

When is the Marantz coming out? What is its retail price going to be? Is it going to have an IEEE 1394 (a.k.a. FireWire) and/or DVI input? Anymore information on the Marantz (e.g. internal scaling software, etc.) would also be appreciated.

Thanks!

P.S. This forum is great! I've learned more here in the last two weeks than I've learned reading 5 years worth of home theater magazines.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Augie,

Here is some info on Marantz VP-12S1:

http://www.marantz.co.jp/ja/prod_ce/.../vp12_text.gif
http://www.marantz.co.jp/ja/prod_ce/.../vp12_logo.gif

http://www.marantz.co.jp/ja/prod_ce/...p12_rear_l.jpg

Chip: 1280x720 DMD 0.8"

Colorwheel: RGBRGB at 2.5x

Contrast: 1100:1

Deinterlacer: Faroudja/Sage/DCDi/3-2 pull-down

Lamp: 150W SHP/2000h/double sealed

Fan noise: 32 dB

Lens: 1.2x zoom, f 26.5-30.7/F 3.0

Screen Range: 40-250 inches diagonal

Throwing distance (16:9)in feet:

40": 4.3-4.9

80": 8.5-9.8

100: 10.8-12.5

120: 12.8-12.1

200: 21.6-24.9

Color system: NTSC/PAL/SECAM

Acceptable video signals: 480i/480p/720p/1080i

Acceptable PC signals: VGA/SVGA/XGA

1 i.Link DV (Firwire/IEEE1394) input (!) (HDCP?)

1 RCAx3 component input

1 S-VHS input

1 RCAx1 composite input

1 D-SUB15 VGA input

1 RS-232

12V trigger

Size (WxHxD)in inches: 16.2x6.2x18.8

Weight:27 pounds

Color: Silver

3 Picture Modes: Theater, Standard, and Dynamic

9 user memory functions

3 Color temperature settings: 5250K,6500K,and 9000K

Black level adjustment: IRE 0 and IRE 7.5

List price in Japan: 980,000 yen (Sharp: 898,000 yen)

Release in Japan: Nov 2001

http://www.marantz.co.jp/ja/prod_ce/.../s_c_wheel.jpg

Unfortunately no info on:

- Brightness

- 1:1 pixel mapping @ 1280x720p

- HDCP on DVI input

- PAL progressive compability

If those issues would read "1000+, yes, yes, and yes", I think this is a Sharp killer given the small difference in price (9%).

http://www.marantz.co.jp/ja/prod_ce/...ter/remote.jpg

http://www.marantz.co.jp/ja/prod_ce/...t_distance.gif

·
Registered
491 Posts
Oh yeah...forgot - Marantz will also introduce a model called VP-14S1, which logically should be the bigger brother.

Re the absence of a spec for brightness, let's hope that "12" indicates 1200 ANSI lumens.

Given the lamp type, wattage, life and the 3 different picture modes, what do the techies figure?

·
Registered
96 Posts

I know for sure that ANSI Lumen is 600/700 switchable. And I believe that the VP-14S1 is for the Asian market and sacrifices contrast for brightness.

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Hmmmm. I see a couple of problems right away. The 1394 port is labeled "DV in". If they mean the DV video format (like your camcorder), then this port may not accept the copy-protected HD MPEG data that we all care about.

There's also no DVI connector shown in this picture, so that's apparently not in the offing to accept the decoded MPEG data via an encrypted connection either.

(For a quick primer on the two connections, you can see an old thread of mine here

Finally, a 2.5x color wheel? I could see rainbow on the Sharp's 5x wheel, so I'd probably avoid the Marantz. Pity.

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for the great information! Another thread http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/Forum10/HTML/009327.html talks about the HT300 not having a 1394 or DVI input. So I'm left with the following two questions:

(1) When will the Marantz be available in the US?

(2) What will the US retail price be? If it's only 9% more the the Sharp, say around $12,000, then John might be right -- it could be a Sharp killer. The current Marantz DLP didn't get a very good review in SGHT though.

Disappointed that the Marantz will only be 600/700 lumens. The Sharp is 800. But you can't always trust the specs. The Zenith Pro 900 CRT is rated for 800 lumens and there is no way it's as bright as the Sharp 9000 DLP.

Excited about the internal Faroudja scaling.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I've seen 2.5x and 5x on this forum regarding the Sharp color wheel. Are we positive that it's 5x? Spec sheet anyone?

·
Registered
3,544 Posts
Wow! The Marantz is a pig at 27 pounds! And I thought the Sharp was heavy at 21 pounds. The Seleco HT300 will probably be about 12 pounds but, I'm wondering how quiet it will be.

Tom

·
Registered
2,254 Posts
JustMike,

The Marantz also runs a 5x color wheel. From the picture you can see the color wheel is an RGBRGB (2x the number of segements of a business projector minus the white segment), the same as the sharp. Both of these projectors turn the wheel at 2.5x the speed of a "1st generation" DLP.

So, 2x segments X 2.5x speed = 5x effective speed.

-phil

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I called a couple of Marantz dealers in Illinois and Wisconsin. All of them said the same thing: the VP-12S1 will be available in November at around $11,000.

Those of us contemplating the Sharp 9000 would be smart to hold off on a purchase until we've seen the Marantz. It's the same price as the Sharp and has a Faroudja internal scaler.

·
Registered
529 Posts
Throw distance appears to very short. On a 16:9 100" diag the Marantz only puts you ~ 10'-12', whereas the 9000Z gives the flexibility of ~ 13'-17'. Just something to think about for projector placement. The Seleco HT300 also has a nice long throw distance to put the projector behind the viewing position. Nice to see a 6500K temp choice on the Marantz, Sharp gives you a couple of choices, but doesn't indicate which one is 6500K or close to it.

[This message has been edited by Gladiator (edited 10-03-2001).]

·
Registered
3,465 Posts
As a long time CRT FPTV owner waiting for my first digital proj, I found the comments on the weight of these projs very amusing since CRTs start at 100+ lbs. and go up. A proj undr 50 lbs. would be a relief to me.

Comparing the limited available specs on the Sharp and Marantz, the principal differences I see are: (1) inputs- same except the Sharp has 2 component/RGB on 5 RCA connectors, while the Marantz has one component on 3 RCA; (2) scalers deinterlacers- proprietary Sharp vs. Sage/Faroudja; and (3) lumens- 600/700 Marantz and 800 Sharp.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Minolta optics. Is that good or bad? What does the Sharp use? Better or worse than Minolta optics?

·
Registered
2,289 Posts
Thanks for the correction, Phil!

Has anybody heard anything at all from Marantz about what they support through their 1394 port?? If the answer is "5C-protected MPEG-2", then we may have a winner! http://www.avsforum.com/ubb/smile.gif

------------------

Mike Kobb

(Formerly "ReplayMike", but no longer affiliated with the company; these opinions are mine alone.)

·
Registered
110 Posts
It is very interesting to see the digital audio outputs on this projector. But I suppose the Firewire connection will contain the audio as well and need to split it out and then send it back to a surround processor.

I guess a projector would have been the last component I ever expected to use as an audio source. But if this thing can handle the above mentioned encryption schemes, and it looks as good as its specs, I'll buy one ASAP.

Paul

·
Registered
464 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I got out the tape measure last night and figured out how big my screen can be and where the Sharp 9000 could be mounted (throw distance). With a 92" wide 16:9 screen, the 9000 can be mounted 3-5 feet behind my seating position. Good, right?... But the Marantz, with its short throw distance, would be directly above me.

I've never owned a projector before. Is the ideal mounting position behind the viewers? Wouldn't I hear even a quiet (-32dB) projector all the time if it were mounted directly above me like the Marantz would? Would the projector be distracting if it were in front of me?

1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.