Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Good day to everyone,

I am looking to advance in the home audio area, by getting rid of my Yamaha Receiver and going into a seperate Preamp and amplifier.

Does anyone have some suggestions on good seperates that don't cost an arm and a leg?

I am 20 years old, and still a college student, but I would like to have about 150 watts of power into an 8 ohm load.

I have Klipsch RF-3 II's for the speakers. I know a lot of people on here don't like them, but I personally love them. I am also in the process of building 3 different sets of DIY Cabinets.

Thanks for any input in advance!

·
Registered
276 Posts
PointSource,

Exactly how much do you value your arms and legs? (a rough $$ range would help us provide ideas)

How many speakers are you running? 2/5/6/7?

Any particular features you're looking for?

Regards

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I'm running two speakers and a subwoofer.

A set of RF-3 II's and a KSW-12, which I got on a HUGE discount.

So really, I just want my two fronts amplified.

2 Channel Pre-Amp, 2 Channel Amp

For the price range, I guess it all depends on the performance envelope. I just want to be able to really crank the RF-3 II's, which have 150 watts continuous power handling ability.

Could I get a pre-amp and amp for about $600?

I just want some suggestions on good solid equipment, that wont cost a lot of money. Maybe around $800 maximum. Looking to end up for a purchase around the end of summer.

Thanks to everyone.

·
Registered
276 Posts
PointSource,

Used 2chn entry-level Adcom & Rotel pieces should come in around $600 or so, and would (IMHO) be a distinct upgrade from most receivers. Check www.audiogon.com and similar.

A couple years ago I did replace a Denon receiver with an Adcom preamp (forget the model) and Adcom 535 amp and was very pleasantly surprised at how the sound improved.

·
Registered
167 Posts
PointSource,

I added a Citation amp to my Yamaha receiver and it made a big difference. Then, when I had more money, upgraded to a B&K receiver, then when I had more money updgraded and... You get the idea. Most of my equipment is used. When working on a budget, sometimes you have to go slow - and buy used.

Greg

·
Registered
541 Posts
Try integrated amps. There are lots of them in your price range that woudl be dramatic improvements. Check audiogon for Creek, NAD, Rotel, Arcam, etc.

FWIW, I don't think you need 150 wpc headroom. You'd be much better off with a high quality 60 wpc integrated. Remember, those RF3's are SENSITIVE and it won't take much to push them to ear-bleeding levels with lots of headroom to spare. Plus, using your sub for lows (if set up right) takes lots of strain off the amplifier.

Another good upgrade for you (IMO, would be selling the KSW-12 (which fetches good prices on e-bay) and spending $150-200 on a better sub. Not a flame to the KSW-12, but for a couple hundred bucks you will get a vast improvement.

pc

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Quote:
Originally posted by Patrick C
Try integrated amps. There are lots of them in your price range that woudl be dramatic improvements. Check audiogon for Creek, NAD, Rotel, Arcam, etc.

FWIW, I don't think you need 150 wpc headroom. You'd be much better off with a high quality 60 wpc integrated. Remember, those RF3's are SENSITIVE and it won't take much to push them to ear-bleeding levels with lots of headroom to spare. Plus, using your sub for lows (if set up right) takes lots of strain off the amplifier.

Another good upgrade for you (IMO, would be selling the KSW-12 (which fetches good prices on e-bay) and spending $150-200 on a better sub. Not a flame to the KSW-12, but for a couple hundred bucks you will get a vast improvement.

pc
Patrick C

Thanks for the response. I understand that my RF-3's are efficient, however, the reciever I have them on is 100 watts RMS x 5.

Do you think going from a "home theatre reciever" to a home stereo amplifier would be a big jump in overall sound quality and output?

I would really want more power than 60 watts per channel. I was looking at the Marantz PM-7000. Do you think this unit would outperform my Yamaha HTR-5460?

Thanks!

·
Registered
319 Posts
Pointsource,

I can't answer your specific questions, but can second what Greg H said.

I have a Denon 3802 that I'm planning on using for HT and music. But the master plan, at this point, is to get a 2-3 channel amp in the future. Then after that get a processor and amps for the rear. Step by step.

Also take Patrick C's comment.... basically look at your whole system again and see what you want and what you need to do to get there. Do you want more volume or do you want more bass? Questions like that.

·
Registered
901 Posts
PointSource,

This was a easy challange. Go to www.Saturdayaudio.com. On their deals page is a AMC av81c preamp for $199.00 and a Amc 150 2 channel amp 2n100-2 for$399.0. They are known to deal. Check out their site. All the people in yur age group from Northwestern,Depaul etc shop here. They also have used and b-stock etc. Also www.decibel.com. Its funny because Chicago is a true hi-fi town. Most of the college kids have:Monitor Audio or the like speakers witha Rega planet cd players and Rotel or NAD preamp and amps.Where did I go wrong as a college student???

Good Luck.

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
901 Posts
Oh. By the Way I came in at $598.00 .You can keep the 2 bucks!! If you up your ante to $1000 you will really have alot more choices. I would look at Rotel, Parasound ,Nad.

Larry Kosova

·
Registered
925 Posts
Hi All,

My suggestion is to upgrade your Yamaha Receiver to a used Denon 5600 receiver. The Denon can be had for $600 used and puts out 140 watts of power per channel and was an excellent receiver.

If you could save a little more money or a lot more you can get a used Krell Kav 300i integrated amplifier with theater pass through for as low as $1100 to $1200(US). And this was a killer integrated amplifer especially at that price.

Just my 2cents, Brian

·
Registered
541 Posts
Point source. The extra 50 watts is going to yield you about 3db volume increase, I believe. IMO, this would not warrant the cost. I think you would find yourself MUCH happier by increasing the quality of your components with less attention to WPC.

If you want lots of clean, discrete power, I always recommend the Marantz mono-blocks. They are 120 WPC and can be had for $150.00 (ma-500) each. You can find a decent pre-amp for $300.00 and be set. I guarantee that these will drive your RF-3's loud and clean. I am not necessarily a proponent of Marantz products, but for the price these blocks are tough to beat.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I really appreciate all of your responses, it has helped me tremendously!

Patrick C,

Before I got into home stereo, I was an addict in the car stereo department. I believe in order to get a 3db increase, which equals to about twice as loud, you either have to double cone area, or double the power. At least thats how it goes in the world of car stereo.

Thanks again guys! I think I'll go look at some big Marantz Amplifiers.

:)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.