AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm looking for action movies that contain 1965 Shelby Cobras. I rented RPM last week, just a brief shot on a trailer truck. Can anyone recommend any action movies?

·
Registered
976 Posts
Gone in 60 Seconds has one I think.. not sure its a 1965 but i think it does..

·
Registered
105 Posts
The movie where I first saw and fell in love with the Shelby Cobra was "The Gumball Rally". The bad news is I don't think it's on DVD, only on VHS. Still a great movie that has that car (blue with no stripe) as one of the stars with some great racing scenes with the Cobra and a Ferrari. Also there is a red one in the beginning of "Romancing the Stone". Funny you should mention the Cobra, I'm planning on ordering a replica of one tomorrow.

Reid

·
Registered
246 Posts
ED.. I also remember Elvis Presley in a movie driving a AC COBRA. I use to have a 1965 AC 427SC COBRA (replica). I would do a search on GOOGLE.COM for COBRA and I am sure there would be many COBRA sites that might have COBRA footage.

CATFLUORO.... Good luck with your new COBRA... they are an unbelievable car to own and drive. Ron AZ

·
Banned
3,403 Posts
I could go for a pre 1968 Corvette, or a AMC AMX. (featured in chase in Diamonds Are Forever)

What to do I can't drive a stick shift, but I could drive an automatic. I have kept my drivers license up all these years in hope I would have some place to go without hauling my 4.5 M.P.H. scooter on a trailer behind it. As a tractor trailer driver I would have a just a bit of difficulty in backing up, because of the short wheel base on the trailer, gimme time I would become an ace again. BTW has anyone seen the Little ol Lady from Pasedena, if so does she still shut em down in her Super Stocked Dodge?

I always liked the Dodge Challenger that kid drove in the movie on disc Phantasm. Little GTO~Ronnie and the Daytonas, GTO how many remember what those 3 letters stood for? The answer Grand Turisimo

Omalagotta..Italian for Grand Touring Automobile, man with those big engines I don't think many used em for touring!

Anytime you wanna plead for a forum on big engine cars, up to 6 2 barrel carbs you let me know ol hob will plead also.lol :)

·
Registered
311 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Captfluoro
...... Funny you should mention the Cobra, I'm planning on ordering a replica of one tomorrow......Reid
Which one? Personally, I'm dying to get one of those Factory Five Racing Daytona Coupe copies. I think they call it the ST 65 Coupe. I may have to start working extra A LOT!! :D

Kent

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Go for it! I really enjoy my Factory Five Cobra. Got photos on my URL below. Click on FFR1358. Being over 6' and a bad back, I can't get into a coupe.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Kent,

I put my deposit down for a solid Indigo Superformance Cobra with engine and transmission to be made by Olthoff Racing here in NC. They told me depending on when they can get that color in it may be 3 weeks or 3 months before it is done. Needless to say I'm quite excited about the whole thing and all I can do is wait.

Reid

·
Registered
3,240 Posts
what was Steve McQueen drivingin Bullitt?

·
Registered
2,319 Posts
Quote:
GTO how many remember what those 3 letters stood for? The answer Grand Turisimo

Omalagotta..Italian for Grand Touring Automobile
I think you will find that In fact the letters "GTO" stand for "Gran Turismo Omologato" which translates into "Grand Touring Homologated" or "approval" for racing. The original auto that carried that name in part was the 1960ish Ferrari 250GTO of which exactly forty were made, but to qualify for the "Omolagato," or homologation that would allow them to be raced in the class of "GTO" there should have been at least 100 made. "It was either Enzo Ferrari's name or his inscrutable charm that enabled the rule makers to let the technicality slip by."
http://www.web-cars.com/gto/ferrari.html

Incidentally, you can see one of these most beautiful of cars (or was it a replica with its fat tires?) in the opening scene (dream sequence) of Vanilla Sky before realty (?) sets in with our boy driving an ordinary Ford Mustang Cobra.

Ahh, the brutish, thundering power of the big-block Cobra or the sleek and swift competence of the high reving columbo V-12 of the Ferrari - one can't go wrong here.:)

·
Registered
246 Posts
SHELBY COBRA's...if you ever get to Las Vegas, the SHELBY AMERICAN plant is located at the Las Vegas Internatinal Speedway, which is about 15 miles north of the downtown area... they give tours at 10am. They still make the original aluminum bodys & fiberglass body's and put them on the original style tube frames. They have about 15 SHELBY COBRA's on displace including the NEW SHELBY. Well worth the time to visit. Also, you can join the SHELBY COBRA club...they have lots of COBRA events through-out the year and all across the United States. You can get films of COBRA's racing from this site... sorry, I forgot their internet site name. Ron AZ

·
Registered
728 Posts
Ed you car looks awesome!

Try www.dukevideo.com

They have a Carrol Shelby video

Also set your VCR for Speed Channel later this summer for UK's Goodwood Revival and Festival of Speed, and of course the Monterey Historics at Laguna Seca. I've been lucky enough to attend all three and there's usually a few cobras slinking about.

Too bad Cobras were past their prime for McQeen's opus Lemans in '71.

I've got my eye on a 550 Spyder replica. Lasy year I visited Vintage Spyder in LA, Thunder Ranch and Chuck Beck's shop in San Diego. They may not have the heart-thumping V8 rumble, but you can thumb your nose at the Arabs every time you pass a gas station. Beck also makes an evil Lister Chevy replica, his personal one was out of commision when I visited so I didn't get a ride - I hear he likes to demonstrate high speed stability by crossing a set of train tracks near his desert shop at 130 mph. Gulp.

Do you track your Cobra? Does it have a Jag rear-end? Looks very faithful to the original - good choice in keeping it tasteful looking.

Summit Point in WV has FATT events. I'd lose my license so fast with that car... :eek:

have fun and keep the rubber side down!

·
Registered
219 Posts
Will Smith supposedly owns a 427 Cobra.

In the movie "Bad Boys", he and Martin Lorence drove a 911 turbo against one.

Mediocre movie.

Unfotunately, as James Gardner said it, there is little likelyhood in seeing a decent racing movie ever made again about either F1 or endurance racing.

I don't even think Speed Channel (formerly Speedvision) carries the Sat. night "Drive In Movie".

Sad...their documentary accompanying the widescreen presentation of "Gran Prix" was incredible.

I would truely love to see an anamorphicly enhanced "Gran Prix" with a seperate audio channel with Jim G. talking.

-Warlock

·
Registered
728 Posts
Amen on the Gran Prix DVD Warlock. They'd never recoup the costs unless they muck it up with predictable romances, MTV video type race footage, stupid dialog, spectacular crashes complete with firballs, wait they already did that its called driven. Didn't see it but I'll take my dad's word for it...

For how to do it right see "LeMans". Sure enough I understand that flopped in the theatres. I was in a crib so I missed out.

If you have a fast computer get a copy of Grand Prix Legends. A couple years old but still a classic. Every car and track from the '67 F1 season, including all 14 miles of the Nürburgring. Through a front projector its the bomb.

I had thought that the day Speedvision changed their name and began bombarding us with NASCAR [spit] [email protected] marked a sad day in Human evolution. HOWEVER, fo now at least, you can still catch Legends of Motorsports, F1 Races, WRC, the 24 hrs of Lemans etc (wow cars can turn right too!). Yeah I miss the sat night drive in.

If you like F1 get the "F1 Year in Review 2000" DVD from Amazon or off Ebay. I heard they may not be making DVDs like this anymore, sad cause its a great disc.

·
Registered
342 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Reid; I have driven several Superformance (SPF) cobras and they are well built cars. I know you will enjoy it when you get it. As a Cobra owner, I offer you this simple advice - go slow and get adjusted to your new SPF. You will have a fast car that can get away from you. Respect others on the road and drive safe.

To all, thanks for your movie suggestions. Yes I am looking for action movies like "Gumball Rally". :D

·
Registered
105 Posts
Ed,

Thanks for the advice. I got 5 point restraints in it, but I only plan on driving it on nice sunny days. No racing or anything like that. I was lucky enough to take a test drive with Bob Olthoff and I was amazed at how quickly he got the car up to 100 MPH. Exhilirating but scary at the same time. It's going to take some willpower not to stomp on it if someone pulls up next to me with "The Look", but I'm pretty sure my momma didn't raise no fool and I will refrain. I hope you enjoy "Gumball Rally".

Reid

Future SPF #1409 owner

·
Registered
294 Posts
BBC4 showed a documentary on the history of the Cobra, especially the racing cars, a few months ago called 'The Cobra-Ferrari Wars'.

It's an excellent film - I think it's likely to be the best documentary ever made about the Cobra. It's about 60 minutes long, narrated by Robbie Coltrane, with music from the movie 'Bullitt' and it was shown on TV in anamorphic widescreen. It includes a lot of archive footage and interviews with some of the people who worked for Shelby in the 60s.

I've noticed it's going to be available on DVD soon - see:

www.spiritlevelfilm.com

There's a trailer on the website. I couldn't see any information as to whether it's PAL or NTSC, which suggests that it may be NTSC (as all European DVD players are multi-system), however the distirbutor is UK based.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.