AVS Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to redo this thread with a better title, and can't edit my old thread.

I'm looking for speakers that are bellow 15.5 inches in height and ten inches in width that are front ported OR sealed. My total budget for an amp and speaker is 2500. I'd prefer the speaker to have the amp built in (active) but if not that's ok. What I am looking for is a speaker that has a bass emphasis, but is far from a basshead speaker. It has a bass emphasis to make it lively and give it warmth, but still has very clear and detailed mids and highs. I was thinking of getting the ADAM A8x (a studio monitor) and use it as a hifi speaker, has anyone had experience with this speaker, or have any suggestions for speakers?

I'm going to be moving it from room to room so there is no set room size. I want to be able to take it to my friends dorm and listen to it and stuff hence the size specifications. Typical listening distance is 5-15 feet and I will be using an Iphone to play my music. Thanks in advance!

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Emotiva Stealth 8, or Stealth 6. Active monitors with good bass response. You're not going to get real heavy bass in that sized cabinet. If you really need heavy bass, look at getting a subwoofer.

Edit: Never mind, they're rear ported

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Emotiva Stealth 8, or Stealth 6. Active monitors with good bass response. You're not going to get real heavy bass in that sized cabinet. If you really need heavy bass, look at getting a subwoofer.

Edit: Never mind, they're rear ported
That looks great, if only there where a front ported version!

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #5

Thanks but I want something that goes deeper in the bass, it only goes down to 55hz. I want something that goes down to at least 45hz.

·
Registered
6,582 Posts
If you want something that hits below 50 and is clear and detailed on the high end, be prepared to spend 1000/pr. A ribbon tweeter with a 6.5 to 8 inch woofer. Have you looked at the Philharmonic lineup?

·
Registered
19,541 Posts

·
Registered
19,541 Posts
I was thinking of getting the ADAM A8x (a studio monitor) and use it as a hifi speaker, has anyone had experience with this speaker, or have any suggestions for speakers?

I'm going to be moving it from room to room so there is no set room size. I want to be able to take it to my friends dorm and listen to it and stuff hence the size specifications. Typical listening distance is 5-15 feet and I will be using an Iphone to play my music. Thanks in advance!
I would say test the Adam out - if you do not like it, then send it back.

·
Banned
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)
The Philharmonico is a tad too big.

I have 2500 dollars to spend so I imagine there are lots of front ported speakers within my size constraints that have good bass response in that price range.

·
Registered
4,347 Posts
Those philharmonico look similar to the speakers from Monitor Audio Platinum speakers which I have heard. The MA platinums sound excellent both on the top end as well as bass response. They are very impressive for the size, if that is what you are looking for.

·
Registered
1,513 Posts
Is a subwoofer a possibility? If you can use a sub it would dramatically open up your speaker choices, plus open up your bass response.

·
Registered
9,712 Posts
I decided to redo this thread with a better title, and can't edit my old thread.

I'm looking for speakers that are bellow 15.5 inches in height and ten inches in width that are front ported OR sealed. My total budget for an amp and speaker is 2500. I'd prefer the speaker to have the amp built in (active) but if not that's ok. What I am looking for is a speaker that has a bass emphasis, but is far from a basshead speaker. It has a bass emphasis to make it lively and give it warmth, but still has very clear and detailed mids and highs. I was thinking of getting the ADAM A8x (a studio monitor) and use it as a hifi speaker, has anyone had experience with this speaker, or have any suggestions for speakers?

Your third thread? You chould change your moniker to Milton_SPAMman.

·
Registered
661 Posts
See if you can find a pair of Paradigm Studio 20v5 to demo. I have a pair and they have really good bass.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
If you want something that hits below 50 and is clear and detailed on the high end, be prepared to spend 1000/pr. A ribbon tweeter with a 6.5 to 8 inch woofer. Have you looked at the Philharmonic lineup?
Bang on the money Eli! An Air Motion Transformer tweeter has similar properties, yes?

The Philharmonico is a tad too big.

I have 2500 dollars to spend so I imagine there are lots of front ported speakers within my size constraints that have good bass response in that price range.
How about these?

Sweetwater | Avantone Audio Pro Abbey 3-way Active Studio Reference Monitor

They tick all your boxes*, and going on the specs and reputation, would be superb. They are unique in being a tri-amped 3-way in a cabinet this size (achieved with dual side mounted 6.5" woofers) and having an AMT tweeter like the Adams. I love the idea that the 5.25" mid covers the vocal range. Great looking finish too.

* If you can give 0.6" on the width. ;)

1 - 20 of 29 Posts