AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've had it up to here (waves hand over head) with the Fox broadcast teams for the baseball playoffs, particularly the ones covering the ALCS. I'd MUCH rather listen to the radio while watching on TV. The problem is that the TV broadcast is delayed by several seconds. My receiver does have an audio delay built in, but it's a couple of hundred milliseconds which isn't nearly enough.

Is there any type of device that can variably delay audio for a much longer period of time (several seconds at least)? What about computer based solutions? Something like a TiVo for radio might do the trick.

Heck, I'm even willing to get a bunch of parts at rat shack and solder it up if that were a solution (though for the length of time I'm talking, I'm sure it would require a sample/buffer/play type system).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

-Steve

·
Registered
1,895 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by babylou
A cheap solution would be to sit 1150 feet away from the speakers for every second of needed delay.
:D :D :D :D :D

·
Registered
351 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by babylou
A cheap solution would be to sit 1150 feet away from the speakers for every second of needed delay.

cheap ???

imagine the living room you need and what about the speakers + amp power !!!

of course when the screensize is in proportion ... :D

·
Registered
557 Posts
You could hook up a guitar digital delay pedal. Most can delay for several seconds, and you can pick one up for under $100. They are only mono, so you could either live with mono, or get two and synchronize them. A stereo version might be available for all I know.

Otherwise, if you know a software hacker, it would be fairly easy to write a little program that takes an input signal from the sound card, buffer a few seconds worth in memory, and then send it back out the sound card. Don't know if any existing software already offers this function.

Good luck!

Dave

·
Registered
3,855 Posts
If you find the guitar petal option isn’t clean enough, your best bet is to get a broadcast delay unit, but they’re not cheap. Even a used one from eBay will set you back a few hundred. Look for brands like Eventide, Lexicon, Symmetrix.

I’ve also seen people use pro-audio effects processors. They come with all sorts of effects other than delay however, like reverb, flanging, etc. However, it can be tricky to find one that will delay for several seconds.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
You'll need to keep an eye out for a Rane RPM22 on ebay or something similar. These are programmable audio processors that can delay digital or analog audio (as well as about 30 other DSP functions), but are prohibitively expensive. Alesis, Biamp, and Ashley are some more names you can research that make processors with delays. Good luck, there really isn't any cheap option.

·
Registered
610 Posts
Feed the audio into a dvr program on your computer. ATI's TV program will buffer the incoming audio. Move the selector on the buffer jog slider to match the amount of delay you want.

·
Registered
3,947 Posts
How about an old-fashioned idea? Use a reel-to-reel tape deck with a real from-the-tape monitor output (i.e., simultaneous record and playback). The tape speed will determine the delay time.

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
I may have found your baby... check this out ('bout $300 US):
http://www.felston.com/

They say this: The DD340 works with the digital audio signal output by DVD players and certain satellite/cable receivers. It is compatible with all current digital audio formats, i.e. Dolby Digital, DTS, Dolby Digital EX, DTS 96/24, PCM, etc.

Let us know if it works out.

·
Registered
557 Posts
I believe Steve needs something with an analog interface to delay the radio audio, and the Felston unit only has a digital interface. Plus, it only offers 340 milliseconds of delay. Looks like a good solution for folks with DVD or HD lip sync issues though.

Dave

·
Registered
3,557 Posts
You're right...I am assuming he's looking for a digital solution. I don't know many folks that are still using old analog surround anymore. Most have moved on to DD, DTS, etc. There are several older analog audio processors from the above mentioned makes that could handle 2 channel analog on the used market though. A visit to ebay would probably locate several, while Behringer's Shark (which has delay) is only around $100 new.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.