AVS Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys just when I thought I knew what I wanted I read something that proves me wrong. I thought I had it narrowed down to two options - The Dune Player or the PCH A-200. I havent started ripping my collection but when I do it will be BD ISO of just the movie and hd audio.

It seemed like Dune was the way to go until I read that my movies (i think thats what most are using) can only see/use one hard drive (any other program to use with DUNE?) Then I swore I read that PCH and YAMJ would see multiple hard drives but make it look like one. Now Im reading that it doesnt work like that.

My source will be my desktop with multiple internal drives running XP or 7. If I used WHS - doesnt that do a storage pool and make all the drives look like one? Would that be an option? I dont want to use RAID or need twice as much disk space for backup/failure. Would that work for either DUNE or PCH? Am I wrong about YAMJ in that it will take all my drives and show the entire collection? Are there any other options

Thanks in advance for some guidance

·
Registered
11,144 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by premium0521 /forum/post/18131913

Hey guys just when I thought I knew what I wanted I read something that proves me wrong. I thought I had it narrowed down to two options - The Dune Player or the PCH A-200. I havent started ripping my collection but when I do it will be BD ISO of just the movie and hd audio.

It seemed like Dune was the way to go until I read that my movies (i think thats what most are using) can only see/use one hard drive (any other program to use with DUNE?) Then I swore I read that PCH and YAMJ would see multiple hard drives but make it look like one. Now Im reading that it doesnt work like that.

My source will be my desktop with multiple internal drives running XP or 7. If I used WHS - doesnt that do a storage pool and make all the drives look like one? Would that be an option? I dont want to use RAID or need twice as much disk space for backup/failure. Would that work for either DUNE or PCH? Am I wrong about YAMJ in that it will take all my drives and show the entire collection? Are there any other options

Thanks in advance for some guidance

Lots of information out there, so I think you have a couple of things mixed-up. YAMJ will see multiple shares, and present them in one "library"...but not multiple drives. So if you want to do that, you'll need a way to "pool" them as you say. So you'll need RAID (or unRAID) or WHS.

Also, RAID (or unRAID) doesn't need twice as much space for back-up; in fact, that's a drawback of WHS.

Hope that helps.

CD

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If I had a PCH networked to my desktop wouldnt everything it sees be shares and not drives? Like if I have 3 drives with folders labeled 1 2 and 3 shared over the network. Would they be considered shares or drives? Would I have to put a HD in the PCH and load YAMJ from there?

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.