AVS Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Looking for some good sci-fi space movies with lots of colorful scenes/eye candy. I got a LCD TV in Nov. and have been re-watching some sci-fi movies like star wars. In Attack of the Clones the scene where they're going through the asteroid field was a great colorful scene, as well as the crashing scene in Pitch Black. Would like to rent a few movies (or documentary) with lots of of colorful space scenes. Thanks in advance.

Sean

·
Registered
542 Posts
Have you seen Starship Troopers yet? This might fit the bill. A lot of it is on the planet but there are some nice spaceship explosions in it.

·
Registered
685 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes I saw it on tv yesterday.

Sean

·
Registered
1,746 Posts
The Fifth Element - a few space scenes, but talk about color!

Star Trek: First Contact

You should check out the Starship Troopers DVD - it was considered reference quality when it came out. Now there's a Superbit version.

·
Registered
776 Posts
Maybe not exactly scifi, but I think What Dreams May Come is hands down the best movie you can use to exercise your screen's colour muscles.

Not the easiest movie to watch (I think you either love it or despise it) but I think all can agree that it is visually stunning.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
event horizon

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Looking for bright colors in sci fi, I would recommend Flash Gordon.

Of course, I do not know if it is out on DVD, or how it looks on DVD but if anyone knows I would be very interested.

Chris.

·
Registered
1,969 Posts
You know something? I keep thinking of the HD version of all of your suggestions shown on movie channels. Every one mentioned has been shown in HD...wierd...

Hated event horizon. Probably would suggest Fifth Element. Waking Life might be of interest to some for color.

Darius

·
Registered
1,469 Posts
Nuts, Flash Gordon is not yet out on DVD, oh well.

So, go with 5th element concert scene, people has used this for reference and shock/awe effect for long time.

Chris.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by ChrisMcCarthy
Nuts, Flash Gordon is not yet out on DVD, oh well.
Flash Gordon was indeed released on dvd in Region 1 back in 2000, but is has been OOP for quite some time...the title can still be found used, but is not worth overpaying for as the transfer is poor.

Event Horizon is available, but the transfer is non-anamorphic and also looks dreadful.

The Superbit versions of Starship Troopers, and The Fifth Element, along with Pitch Black-Unrtaed Directors Cut are must buys.

I would also recommend the following;

Lost in Space-one of the better looking earlier releases.

Farscape...one of the best sci-fi series out on disc.

Galaxy Quest-DTS version

Solaris (2002)

2001: A Space Odyssey

Howie

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
CQ - Colors are absolutely stunning. It's a mock 60's film that tells the story of a filmmaker who's making a 60's space film. Huh? Anyway, it's worth a rent. It's different.

Herm

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.