AVS Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, we are looking to use a projector for business use in a room shaped like an oval. There will be no screen, just the wall as the aesthetic plays a predominant role in this space. I have attached an image of the design inspo as well as a prelim blueprint snapshot. Budget for hardware and labor is ideally 100k or less.

I'd love to hear your recommendations and any tips/tricks worth considering for projectors, lenses & overall light conditions in the space. This will be used for wow factor, marketing, etc. Not so much "movie night" but marketing cinematics for sure. Ideally, the unit would be white in color if possible.

"Screen size" (the wall) would be around the 12-15 foot range. Still working up the layouts and measurements so I dont have anything concrete yet, including the curve of the wall.
This space will have people in it, like a lounge area, so I'm thinking short throw is ideal but could be wrong.

Thank you in advance,

V

Attachments

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Well, then the curvature of the screen area will have to be an exact match to the lens used. May have to have a custom ground lens. At that price point, should not be a problem.

Alternatively, the first link to the screen wall could be hidden behind panels, which would slide away when in use. The second link could be fixed to a mechanism that comes up from the floor or drops down from the ceiling when in use.

In any case, you will need a solution with a lot of light, to overcome the ambient light in the room.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Well then the curvature of the screen area will have to be an exact match to the lens used. May have to have a custom ground lens. At that price point, should not be a problem.
Good to know, didn't realize there is a correlation there. Makes sense. Any recs on hardware?

·
Registered
11,367 Posts
Good to know, didn't realize there is a correlation there. Makes sense. Any recs on hardware?
No recs on hardware. This is a very specialized application that will require a lot of planning and legwork. If it were me, I'd first try to figure out the appropriate wall/lens match, then find a projector that can accommodate both. Finding the right lens and the company that can create it will be the primary task. There are lenses that are already made for curved screens, but the curvature is pre-defined. If you can alter the wall to fit one of these standards, that may save you a lot of $, but then the room will have to be altered to fit the lens, not visa-versa. Your aesthetic may not accommodate such a solution, but that is where I would start. Maybe contact Panamorph (or similar company), as they already create add-on anamorphic lenses, and may be able to assist you with your specific requirements.

This is not going to be a plug and play solution.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
No recs on hardware. If it were me, I'd first try to figure out the appropriate wall/lens match, then find a projector that can accommodate both. Finding the right lens and the company that can create it will be the primary task. There are lenses that are already made for curved screens, but the curvature is pre-defined. If you can alter the wall to fit one of these standards, than may save you a lot of $, but then the room will have to be altered to fit the lens, not visa-versa.
Makes sense, thank you.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Please note the edits in my above post. Do return and update us on how you were able to address the application! You've set yourself a challenging goal.
Awesome edits, much appreciated. I will update as we go through the 4-6 mo buildout.

·
Registered
6,324 Posts
If you have ever been to the lobby of the Comast building in Philadelphia, they have a huge video wall that looks like the building when not showing content..

·
Registered
295 Posts
Hello, we are looking to use a projector for business use in a room shaped like an oval. There will be no screen, just the wall as the aesthetic plays a predominant role in this space. I have attached an image of the design inspo as well as a prelim blueprint snapshot. Budget for hardware and labor is ideally 100k or less.

I'd love to hear your recommendations and any tips/tricks worth considering for projectors, lenses & overall light conditions in the space. This will be used for wow factor, marketing, etc. Not so much "movie night" but marketing cinematics for sure. Ideally, the unit would be white in color if possible.

"Screen size" (the wall) would be around the 12-15 foot range. Still working up the layouts and measurements so I dont have anything concrete yet, including the curve of the wall.
This space will have people in it, like a lounge area, so I'm thinking short throw is ideal but could be wrong.

Thank you in advance,

V
What you likely need are multiple projectors with image blending/warping capability. Check out Christie projectors with mistique software solutions.

Epson has something similar for their "business" high brightness laser projectors.

There are pro av companies that do this kind of stuff in their sleep. A trip to infocomm would be another option, likely lots of other solutions given your healthy budget.

·
Registered
16,754 Posts
This unit may not be up to the image quality that you are seeking but the new Viewsonic PX748-4K can shoot on a curved wall/surface without any external processor.

* Obviously multiple units in use would require outboard blending.

It's a brand new model and just starting to trickle out.

- Jason

Reactions: Archaea

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
If you combine projectors, looking at the ringed room inspiration, you might consider an array of ultra short throw projectors aligned close to the screen, so it may have an aesthetic appeal of not projecting from the back. Aligning/keystoning the screens may be a challenge if using ambient light blocking screens, and if it doesn't have an overhead feature like the conceptual drawings, it could possibly mean installing them on (or in?) the floor.

As Bartl007 says, there should be local AV companies that can make suggestions.

Thank you in advance,

V

·
Registered
437 Posts
If you are planning a painted projection surface, be sure to use an acrylic paint -- latex tends to yellow over time. I have an acrylic installation that has been stable for 9 years. Have fun.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts