AVS Forum banner
1 - 1 of 1 Posts

·
Registered
237 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I purchased a Rotel RSX-1056 about 6 years ago from a local shop which offers to give you 100% credit on electronics if you trade up to some that cost twice as much within the first three years. Three years later I upgraded to Rotel RSX-1058 mostly because I wanted HDMI. Now I'm at the end of my next three years and would like to get something with HDMI 1.4 as well as have network streaming of audio. I currently have a PC in my livingroom to stream from either my NAS or the internet and would like to get rid of it.

I went back to my local shop, which sells Rotel, NAD, Denon, Marantz, Yamaha, Pioneer and some other much more expensive lines. The sales guy pointed me towards to Rotel RSP-1570 and a RMB series amp. If I got the 5 channel 100w/ amp the list price is $3500, and they would charge me $1750 + my 1058. My concern is pre pro is already a year+ old and only has limited HDMI 1.4 support and no network connectivity. I could add another device to take care of the network connectivity, but I'm really trying to reduce the amount of electronics I have under the TV, not add to it. Another choice the guy at the shop mentioned was a Marantz AV8003 and an amp from Marantz, NAD or Rotel. Depending on which amp my cost would be between $1800 and $2100, but I have the same concern here, this is an older pre pro, plus I'm not sure it and amp would even fit on my AV stand. He didn't mention it, but I could get the AV7005 instead, but unless I got a very expensive amp, the cost would be too low for the trade up.

I've also thought about giving my brother the 1058 to replace a Denon receiver I gave him six years ago and just buying a new receiver. If I buy new what I'm considering are the Denon 3311, Yamaha A2000 / A1000 or the Marantz SR7005.

I've been thinking about this for the past week and keep changing my mind. Currently I'm thinking about just getting one of the two Yamaha receivers and giving my old one to my brother as a present. Btw: I have B&W CM speakers.

I'd appreciate any recommendations/thoughts.

Thanks,

-Bruce

1 - 1 of 1 Posts